Leaking diff fluid at halfshaft

jblood37

Established Member
Last year I replaced the driver's side halfshaft because of a torn boot. Now, the diff leaks (very small amount) where the halfshaft inserts into the diff. Any thoughts on what could have happened and how to correct?

Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
You need to pop the half shaft out and inspect it for grooves/damage on the sealing surface. If its ok then install a new seal, if its damaged you'll probably have to replace it as I doubt no one makes repair sleeves for them.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I always try to be real careful about removing or putting the halfshafts back in when the splined area is at the seal. the factory service manual calls for an otc special tool (which are really just circular plastic pieces that fit in there) to protect the seals.

jblood37

Established Member
I always try to be real careful about removing or putting the halfshafts back in when the splined area is at the seal. the factory service manual calls for an otc special tool (which are really just circular plastic pieces that fit in there) to protect the seals.

Somehow when I was looking up how tos for this the halfshaft seals were never really mentioned. Surely it's just the seal you guys are talking about bc it is barely leaking fluid at all and I don't know that I've even driven the car after I replaced the halfshaft.

My only other thought is that maybe the halfshaft isn't all the way in the differential. I don't remember it "clicking into place". It looks like this halfshaft may be a bit further out of the differential than the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread