Law School Question

PSI87

Banned
I'm considering applying for several law schools in the fall... I was wondering, since statutory law varies state by state, does it matter what state I go to school in? For instance, I'm a Florida resident now, and intend on applying to Florida schools as well as Emory and Mercer in GA. Hypothetically, what would happen if I were to get an education at the University of Miami then move to NYC?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Nothing. As long as the school is ABA accredited, you can take the bar anywhere. But you need to graduate college first. Law Schools will only consider you for the semester after your senior year. So unless you are going to be a senior in the fall, your application will not be any good. Plus you need to take the LSATs.

PSI87

Banned
I should be a senior fall if all goes according to plan. :fingers crossed: I plan on taking the LSAT and GRE later this year. It is comforting knowing theres no significance in the location of the school, thanks a lot Adam.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Wish I'd taken that route. 26 with no college under my belt, eh, I'm a little too far behind now.

Time to work for a living.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Duende said:
Wish I'd taken that route. 26 with no college under my belt, eh, I'm a little too far behind now.

Time to work for a living.

Not true. I have a female friend who never went to college and became a paramedic. She entered college at 25 and medical school at 29, finished her residency at 36. And is now a very successful physician at 38.

It is never too late to get a degree. My aunt just told me today she went back to college to finish her bachelors degree and she is 59.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
PSI87 said:
I should be a senior fall if all goes according to plan. :fingers crossed: I plan on taking the LSAT and GRE later this year. It is comforting knowing theres no significance in the location of the school, thanks a lot Adam.

The significance is that they are ABA accredited. W/O that accreditation you can only sit the for the bar in the state the school is in and sometimes it is even further limited.

The point of going to an in-state school is they teach you the big six needed for the multistate but they also teach you state specific law for that state's bar exam.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Not true. I have a female friend who never went to college and became a paramedic. She entered college at 25 and medical school at 29, finished her residency at 36. And is now a very successful physician at 38.

It is never too late to get a degree. My aunt just told me today she went back to college to finish her bachelors degree and she is 59.

You're right, thanks for the motivation. I do have a child on the way in April though, also, haha.

But I did my FAFSA for the year, and just started getting financial aid information in the mail...and my GI Bill is there and waiting...

Picking a degree that'll be useful and pertinent in five or six years is what gets me.

Good luck with your legal plans, OP.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Duende said:
You're right, thanks for the motivation. I do have a child on the way in April though, also, haha.

But I did my FAFSA for the year, and just started getting financial aid information in the mail...and my GI Bill is there and waiting...

Picking a degree that'll be useful and pertinent in five or six years is what gets me.

Good luck with your legal plans, OP.

Pick a field that interests you and you will make it work. Just do it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Another big consideration should be the connections you will make going to a school in which you intend to practice. That was one of my biggest reasons for going to WVU.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Duende said:

Just don't pick Health and Exercise in Oklahoma. This stupid state ranks in the bottom ten in every major health category. No wonder there aren't any health related jobs around here lol.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
SID297 said:
Another big consideration should be the connections you will make going to a school in which you intend to practice. That was one of my biggest reasons for going to WVU.

Definitely. Location is a big factor as well. If you know where you want to live, it is beneficial to go to a law school in that state. My dad went to a very good law school, George Washington, and when he moved back to PA after graduation, it was viewed as an "alien school." It would have benefitted him more to have gone to a "lesser" school that was in-state.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
BreBar21 said:
Definitely. Location is a big factor as well. If you know where you want to live, it is beneficial to go to a law school in that state. My dad went to a very good law school, George Washington, and when he moved back to PA after graduation, it was viewed as an "alien school." It would have benefitted him more to have gone to a "lesser" school that was in-state.

I get to talk with state congressmen all the time, which can be helpful. It was nice having a beer with the gov at a football game too. It was this game btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pq8UHmRun0

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
My wife just graduated and let me tell you things we have learned that might help you.
1. DO well on you LSAT, as schools offer discounts based on those scores (we got 2k off per year)
2. When choosing a school, check their BAR pass rate
Obviously if you can, you want to go to a tier 1 school. At all costs, if you have to move, do it. If you have to take out more in loans, Do it. There is no point on spending 125k on a law school education, only to have trouble finding a job based on your school and not you. (Yes employers will not even look at you if you are from certain schools) When you could have coughed up a bit more cash and went to a better school to begin with.
Of course not everyones situation is the same, and I am not speaking for everyone out there. I am only offering advice based on our expierience over the last 3 years.
Granted, there were 5000 applicants to my wifes school, and only 250 or so got accepted, but that doesnt mean that it was a good school. Even if you have to wait a year, its not a big deal. Work and save up some cash, you WILL need it, it is a struggle, but will pay off in the end when you are paying cash for a new S-Class every year.

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
Thomas Jefferson in SD, 51% BAR pass rate. Past students have tough time competing with ones from USC, Cal Western and all the ones in LA

FordSVTFan

Established Member
WickedDropTop said:
Granted, there were 5000 applicants to my wifes school, and only 250 or so got accepted, but that doesnt mean that it was a good school.

Thomas Jefferson had 4700 applicants in 2006 and accepted 1100, but only 250 of those enrolled. The rest declined. So about 25% acceptance is reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread