Law Enforcement VIN Inspection?

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I am in the process of getting a title corrected and the DMV is requiring I get a "Law Enforcement VIN Inspection". The lady said it must be in blue ink and they usually come to you to do it? I am in VA but the DMV where the title is getting corrected is New Mexico. Anyone familiar with this VIN Inspection? She kind of explained it as they just come out and verify the odometer reading. Not sure i should just call the State Police or call my local DMV and see what they suggest. Thanks guys

RSH427R

Established Member
Call your local police for the inspection. Look on your state's DMV website they usually have the PDF there for you to print. An officer will come out and look at the VIN and maybe the odometer. I usually have the form filled out for them so all they have to do is sign it. Oh and some will charge a minimal fee....like 5 bucks. They should tell you that when you call. Here in Indiana either a police officer or a DMV employee can do inspections.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
so county police, not state, would do it? I can't find anything at my local DMV on this. Even googled it and nothing comes up for VA.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I am in the process of getting a title corrected and the DMV is requiring I get a "Law Enforcement VIN Inspection". The lady said it must be in blue ink and they usually come to you to do it? I am in VA but the DMV where the title is getting corrected is New Mexico. Anyone familiar with this VIN Inspection? She kind of explained it as they just come out and verify the odometer reading. Not sure i should just call the State Police or call my local DMV and see what they suggest. Thanks guys

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa69.pdf

You're welcome.

bj

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
wow, thanks bud. they specifically said "Law Enforcement" VIN inspection so i wonder if this will suffice? I'll have to call and check. With the Law Enforcement VIN inspection an officer comes to you to do the inspection which is what i need. I cant drive the car because i dont have the title and cant register it until i get this vin inspection and the new corrected title issued. If DMV would have done their job right the first time i wouldnt be having this problem to begin with :mj:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
just got a call back from the State Police. Basically i need a form filled out by the DMV requesting the VIN inspection. Then i call the police, they send a trooper out, and he verifies the vin and odometer. Sounds easy enough......well its not.

The VIN is being correct by New Mexicos DMV because they are the one who F'd up the original title. I live in VA and the police need a VA form to do the inspection. So i guess i have to go to the VA DMV and try to get them to give me this form i need in order to call the State Police.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Will be worth it once its all said and done. I paid $17500 for a 9k mile 04 Cobra because of this title error that no one wanted to deal with. All i need is this paper work along with a few other smaller items and it will be done. Just a big headache for now though

VNMOUS1

Established Member
just got a call back from the State Police. Basically i need a form filled out by the DMV requesting the VIN inspection. Then i call the police, they send a trooper out, and he verifies the vin and odometer. Sounds easy enough......well its not.

The VIN is being correct by New Mexicos DMV because they are the one who F'd up the original title. I live in VA and the police need a VA form to do the inspection. So i guess i have to go to the VA DMV and try to get them to give me this form i need in order to call the State Police.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Will be worth it once its all said and done. I paid $17500 for a 9k mile 04 Cobra because of this title error that no one wanted to deal with. All i need is this paper work along with a few other smaller items and it will be done. Just a big headache for now though

When I was a LEO, we used to get a lot of calls to stop by someone's house/car and do a VIN check. It's nothing.

I THINK the form I gave you the link to is the one you need. Print it out...call the non-emergency police number...ask them to stop by. Give them a bottle of bubbly for New Years for stopping by and helping you. You'll be a hero and they won't mind doing it.

bj

Kirko

Established Member
There should be an officer at the title bureau who checks the VIN number of a car when transferring titles. He could do it for you.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
need them to come to me because the car isnt tagged. about to call DMV to see if they'll give me the form i need. without the form the police wont do it and the form has to be completed by dmv.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
When I had to have this done for my trailer, the issue wasn't getting the police to come out, it was trying to find a knowledgeable DMV employee who knew WTF was going on.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Years ago when I worked patrol, our agency had one day a week when an officer would be available for VIN verifications. I used to love it; made dozens of arrests a month running warrant checks on the requestors !! :beer:

Of course, we used to do the same thing for all persons who dropped by to pick up prisoners being released after a night in jail for DUI or public intox., etc.

I figure if you are dumb enough to come to the PD and present ID to pick up a husband/wife or have your VIN verified AND you have a warrant = you are fair game. :D

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Years ago when I worked patrol, our agency had one day a week when an officer would be available for VIN verifications. I used to love it; made dozens of arrests a month running warrant checks on the requestors !! :beer:

Of course, we used to do the same thing for all persons who dropped by to pick up prisoners being released after a night in jail for DUI or public intox., etc.

I figure if you are dumb enough to come to the PD and present ID to pick up a husband/wife or have your VIN verified AND you have a warrant = you are fair game. :D

That is called low hanging fruit.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
haha. i got it taken care of yesterday. Trooper came to my house and verified everything. Thanks guys

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member

lmfao. That is just epic...

Users who are viewing this thread