Launching

667rwhp

Established Member
Does anybody launch in second gear? I am running 26*10 slicks and blowing the tires off. Looking for a way to hook up better. Any tips?

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
What suspension you running? What tire pressure? What gear ratio? How high are you launching? I don't recommend launching in 2nd at all. Work on gettin the suspension to work or it may be time to step up in tire or move to a higher gear ratio(numerically lower).

667rwhp

Established Member
I am curently running Tokico adj front struts on setting 3 and rear strange drag shocks set on 3. I have a sra with 3.55s and usually run 12lbs in the slicks. When launching I preload the clutch and really don't rev it up at all. Let the clutch out and throw the hammer down. What kind of rpm's are you launching at? How long of a burn out?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I would not launch in 2nd. If the clutch slips any it will continue to slip through 2nd in most cases.
You will end up burning the clutch.

What kinds of 60's are you getting? Most guys run slicks to launch the hell out of it.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I'm on a 26x11.5 et street with 3.90 gears. I do a 2nd gear burnout and as soon as the tires start to roll smoke good I let off the brake and let the car slowly pull out of the burnout. I only have a few passes on this setup, but with the 3.90 gear I launch in the 4500 range with a nice smooth release. Not slipping the clutch. When I had the irs with 3.55 gears I would launch in the 5000 to 5500 range. I'm not familiar with the Tokiko settings, but I would try it on full loose so you can get the front up and plant the tire. Maybe try the rears on the middle setting. Also, do you have adjustable control arms? If not, I highly recommend them. Try to get your pinion angle adjusted to -2 to -3 degrees. It' really gonna take alot of experimentation and it could still be bad track prep. I wish I had more seat time with my current(new) set up, maybe I could be more help. I also have the strange shocks, but still have the stock fronts. My best 60' so far is a 1.63 with this set up, but I plan on having it in the 1.40s once I get it sorted out.

667rwhp

Established Member
I do have the adj control arms. I'll have to check on my pinion angle. Yeah think your right about the track prep. It wasn't the greatest track to run at. It will take some time to play around with it, but thanks for the tips.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I see your in MD, what track do you usually run at?

A small 26" slick is going to require a good bit of weight transfer to get it to stick. This is why you see some of the heads up class cars that are limited to a 26" slick, doing big wheel stands, ex., NMRA Pure Street cars.

I know it sounds crazy but in order to get the weight transfer you need, you will have to leave at a much higher rpm then you currently are, atleast 4500-5000rpms, assuming your power level is what your screen name is based on. With that said, I think you would have better luck with a 28" slick at your power level, gear, and front to rear weight ratio. These cars make so much low end torque and are so nose heavy with the stock iron block thats its hard to get the weight transfer needed to hook up a small tire.

667rwhp

Established Member
The only track I ran at was capital raceway. I just recently bought the car and I'm trying to get the hang of it. First time at the track my best e.t. was 11.1 at 128mph. 1.61 60 ft. This was on 16lbs of boost. Looking to hook up a little better before I crank it up to 21lbs and spray it. Will the 28's fit on a lowered cobra? What gear ratio are you running?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
1.61 short time isn't what I would consider blowing the tires off, that's not a bad 60' at all. What tires are your running and how new are they? How long of a burnout are you doing?

667rwhp

Established Member
I'm running hoosier slicks. They probably have about 21 passes on them. They still have some life left. I've usually do a 6 or 7 sec second gear burnout.

667rwhp

Established Member
I started with 15psi until I got the feel for the slicks because this was my first time running slicks. Once I made a few passes I dropped them to 12psi.

667rwhp

Established Member
I started with 15psi until I got the feel for the slicks because this was my first time running slicks. Once I made a few passes I dropped them to 12psi.

Users who are viewing this thread