launching with DR's and 3.27 gears

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
I have a question:

Is there any danger with launching on drag radials, stock 3.27 gears, and the 5speed?

I have seen people do it but have also had people tell me not to run DRs or slicks unless I add gear to the car or things will break.

What's the scoop?
anyone out there doing it?
Anyone have parts breakage due to running that combo of 3.27 and DR?

essentially I want to limit the amount of gear I put in the car to only what's necessary to not break things when I go to the track with DR's. It's my daily driver and covers a lot of miles.

Thanks in advance for any info

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As stated above, wheel hop is what breaks axles. If your rearend starts hopping, get out of the throttle for a second.

Not to ruin your fun or anything but I would be very careful about abusing your DD on the track, plenty of cars get broken out there and it will suck to have to walk to school/work!

snakeraper11b

Established Member
As stated above, wheel hop is what breaks axles. If your rearend starts hopping, get out of the throttle for a second.

Not to ruin your fun or anything but I would be very careful about abusing your DD on the track, plenty of cars get broken out there and it will suck to have to walk to school/work!

Just plan ahead and get the metro schedule beforeeee you hit that track, that way you wont be stranded. Public transit FTMFW:rockon:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
gears have nothing to do with breaking shit lol

avoid wheel hop, find a good launch rpm to avoid bogging, avoid wheel hop, find a good way to slip the clutch out to get the best launch you can (don't just dump it), avoid wheel hop

Jamie R.

Established Member
Ahhhhhhh, my specialty! Launching a 3.27 with a dr takes some considerable clutch slippage not a clutch drop. I ran a best of 12.81@108 with the stock 3.27 gear & 275/40/17 mickey dr's & a 13.08 on the stock 245 street tries & stock 3.27. I'd start with reving it up to 3 grand and slip it out for a starting point but you might have to go higher. When I made a good pass I could smell the clutch:lol1:

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ran my car at the track once and launched on dr's with 3.27's but I only launched at like 3k at the most. It bogged a tad but then took off. I wouldnt launch any higher than like 4k.

But like others said, if it starts wheel hopping get out of it immediately.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
oh i do recommend a billetflow diffbrace no matter what your power level

i noticed with my Kenny Brown aluminum diff bushings, MM poly subframe bushings, billetflow diff brace and MM FLSFCs my cars tendancy to wheel hop was greatly reduced

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. I have the FTB kit and billetflow brace in the car so hopefully my wheelhop woes will be in the past. I have raced my 02 GT on street tires and had a best 60ft of 2.01 launching at 3K with a little bit of spin and a little bit of clutch but it (or I lol) wasn't consistent so I thought of going to DRs with the cobra. All the other racing I've done was with purpose built cars with automatics, slicks, and steep gears so I was worried when I heard that -
"launching a heavy car with stock gears on slicks is a recipe for breaking transmissions"
So you guys with 3.27s haven't run into this?

My only goal is to get the cobra into the 12s so I can race the 13.0 and slower class once in a while.

Jamie R.

Established Member
My car made 300 to the tires at the time. Mods were: JLT CAI, Bassani Stainless CB, Bassani Stainless Catted x pipe, Fidanza Al Flywheel, Custom tune on the dyno, Steeda Springs, Steeda Shifter and thats pretty much it. My first pass ever was a 13.50 & by the end of the night I had ran a 13.20 all on street tires & untuned. The biggest thing is ya gotta get it off the line without bogging it, cause a bog will kill the car. Rpm's will be your friend & a clutch slip will also be your friend. There is no reason you should'nt be able to run a 13.0 to high 12 with dr's. A al flywheel will help transmission life because you end up taking a load off the crank and so much shock on it.

Jamie R.

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
Thanks Jamie R. I'm going to pull the SLP catted X off the GT before I sell it and put it on the cobra. I've got the JLT CAI and an alum flywheel but don't have them on yet, Will do the flywheel when I do a clutch.
What clutch were you using and what were your 60 ft times with street tires and DRs if you remember?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
OP i was launching 3.27s with 468RWHP/414RWTQ on DRs for a looong time and broke nothin in the driveline

i did kill a clutch though...that was just lots of beating that did that though

Jamie R.

Established Member
I'll have to find my folder with the time slips for a exact number but from memory my 60's were in between 2 teens & 2.0's. The 12.81 pass was a 1.88 if I'm not mistaken. My 60's were never stellar and I guess that was from me easing the car out slipping the clutch. Heck I never even did a burnout:lol1:! I would go around the water box and then would back up then pull back forward to line up and go.

Jamie R.

Users who are viewing this thread