launching a terminator?

fangs99

Established Member
Tomorrow I plan to get a few 1/8th mile passes in on my 03 cobra. First time in a 03 cobra. Any tips on how to get it to 60ft with out breaking a half shaft?
Mods are : FTBR bushings, braced diff cover, 3.73's, subframes, o/r x and cat back, jlt intake, 2.76 upper, 26 spline input with Spec stage 3+ clutch, and the car is on a new set of 275/40/17 NT555R's car dyno'd 470/483. Any tips on launching on the IRS is more than welcome. And what kind of times could I expect with this combo. I'm hopping to see 1.7-1.8 60ft's.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
This will be tricky first time out and you might be a little optimistic, depends on your skill level and track conditions.

I've never run the 555R's but I have run the NTO5R's, I'd lower the tire pressure to 20 psi, "about 16psi is a low as I would go" go around the water and back in slip the tires in the water, pull out of the water. Do a second gear burn out till you see some smoke nothing crazy on the burnout, getting them to hot will be just as bad as not getting them hot enough.

As for the launch start low 2000 rpm launch and see how it goes, dont dump the clutch as you dont have the right tire for this approach. This should be a good starting point if it hooks raise your launch RPM.

As for breaking an axle, that will come from wheel hop and the only way your gonna get wheel hop is from spinning so if the tires start spinning after the launch let off. I never had any wheel hop on the street but I have felt it at the track.

Hope this helps good luck and enjoy it, all these cars are different take your time

Rambro

Established Member
I tracked my car when it was P/I/E with 555r's. Only made about five passes and my best 60 was a 1.8. It was tricky coming out of the hole, I basically left off idle. I wouldn't try to launch the car hard on any drag radial. If you feel weel hop let out.

Rambro

Established Member
Also, when I did the 1.8 I did a good second gear burnout and tire pressure was 17 psi.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
In my experience launching on a DR your gonna have to slip the clutch hard to get a decent 60. and kind of dumping will just result in wheel spin.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Last time out I was dumping it at around 3k rpm. FTBR bushings, end links, diff brace, etc. 27x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP's. I was consistently low 1.5x 60' times with a new best of 1.472 thrown in there.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Last time out I was dumping it at around 3k rpm. FTBR bushings, end links, diff brace, etc. 27x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP's. I was consistently low 1.5x 60' times with a new best of 1.472 thrown in there.

That's impressive you should be pulling the wheels with a 1.4 60 you got any pics I bet that is sweet.

He's not gonna be pulling that off with a 275/40/17 Nitto that OP's running

Edit: I didn't realize the Hoosier QTP's were a bias ply that makes a big difference

Last edited:

JustaGT5408

Established Member
That's impressive you should be pulling the wheels with a 1.4 60 you got any pics I bet that is sweet.

He's not gonna be pulling that off with a 275/40/17 Nitto that OP's running

Edit: I didn't realize the Hoosier QTP's were a bias ply that makes a big difference

Thanks man! It gets the left front up just ever so slightly, here is a pics of it off the line. They aren't quite as good as a full slick but they serve their purpose for me!
cedar%20falls_zpsf8ogb0o7.jpg

E8D22E0D-EECD-4771-B82A-DC701DEE18E8.png_zpsuqw0rlqm.jpg

A5339E2A-9F68-4F4D-985E-D71CD96968B6.png_zpstoyyvnob.jpg

fangs99

Established Member
Anyone ever break the diff or ring/pinion with 275/40/17 NT555R's? I was still coming out of the clutch. And added air to 23psi so it should have spun but dead hooked and broke, no axle hop

Last edited:

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
Anyone ever break the diff or ring/pinion with 275/40/17 NT555R's? I was still coming out of the clutch. And added air to 23psi so it should have spun but dead hooked and broke, no axle hop

Wow !
That tire was suppose to spin lol

I heard it was alright tire
But now I might try it !

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I broke a level 5 half shaft doing a burnout. Anything is possible with these cars.

Soft sidewalls are your best friend to drag racing these cars with IRS

SVT_Troy

Established Member

That is very impressive, what does your suspension setup consist of?

fangs99

Established Member
My local track preps hard.... Even for a test n tune..... A budy of mine was cutting 1.9 60ft in his 11 coyote on Stock PZero's

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It's hard launching on drag radials. Stock IRS with a brace and MT ET street 2 drag radials. 315/35/17 leaving somewhere around 3k RPMs and slipping the clutch and easing into the gas (not just mashing WOT). Got me 1.7 60' and I had about 12 ~ 14 PSI in the tires.

Last edited:

JustaGT5408

Established Member
That is very impressive, what does your suspension setup consist of?

Thanks man! Up front is UPR K member, a arms with no sway bar, and coilovers, full length subframe connectors, 6-pt cage, Full Tilt Boogie bushings and end links, H&R race springs out back, diff brace, and stock half shafts.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Thanks man! Up front is UPR K member, a arms with no sway bar, and coilovers, full length subframe connectors, 6-pt cage, Full Tilt Boogie bushings and end links, H&R race springs out back, diff brace, and stock half shafts.

How much of a difference does not having a sway bar make?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I broke a level 5 half shaft doing a burnout. Anything is possible with these cars.

Soft sidewalls are your best friend to drag racing these cars with IRS

Damn! now Iam sceeered :eek: I thought i just upgraded to these? i broke my stock axle hitting 2nd gear no wheel hop.

"JustaGT408" that 3rd pic of your car launching, rear shot looks bad ass!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread