Late start to my winter build, going a little deep this year.

ctgreddy

Established Member
After spending the majority of my winter rewiring my buddies car I finally got a chance to start on mine. Not spending "much" money on it but will be quite a bit of work. The list of upgrades include:

-Getting converter tightened up by PTC
-Fixing the trans as overdrive never worked
-300m stub shaft
-fresh head gaskets
-head studs
-billet opg and new pump
-New timing components(guides, gears, chains, tensioners)
-modified steel tensioners
-Upgraded valve springs/seals
-Rebuilding front/rear brakes and getting powedercoated
-Black rotors front/rear
-replacing power steering/hydraboost lines with an lines to hide them.

Also something I already did was change my wheel/tire setup to some billet specialties comp 5 fronts and street light single beadlock rears. This totally changed the look of the car IMO and absolutely love it. Cant wait to see it with black rotors/coated calipers. Cant wait to get the car back together and try to get deeper into the 9's. Currently waiting for my converter to come back as that's the current hold up. I was also very relieved when I pulled the heads off and saw pistons that looked like they had 20k miles, not 100k. I musta done something right tuning this pig :D

I attached some pics of it before tearing apart and with the fresh wheels, along with pictures along the way. Hoping to get this all buttoned up and back together by end of the month but it all comes down to how quick ptc can get my converter done, also waiting on my valve body to come back from freddy brown but I can put the trans and everything back in without that.

Attachments

• wheels1.jpg
    wheels1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 222
  • wheels2.jpg
    wheels2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 209
  • eng.jpg
    eng.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 213
  • eng1.jpg
    eng1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 234
  • eng2.jpg
    eng2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 203
  • eng3.jpg
    eng3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 230
  • eng4.jpg
    eng4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 199
  • eng5.jpg
    eng5.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 224

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn. That’s some preventative maintenance!

I always thought it was time prohibitive to pull the heads in the car. Or did doing the booster lines make it happen?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ctgreddy

Established Member
Damn. That’s some preventative maintenance!

I always thought it was time prohibitive to pull the heads in the car. Or did doing the booster lines make it happen?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Lots of people think that, but it was not hard to do at all with engine in the car. I'd say I have 5-6 hours into working on it before the heads were off. I actually didn't touch a single thing on the booster/master cylinder to do this. Basically pulled the blower/intake off, dropped K and lowered engine to zip off the longtubes, while engine was lowered I took off the valve covers. Loosely put the K back up, removed front dress/covers and then timing components then heads. Sounds like a lot of work, but IMO much easier than trying to remove an engine when you dont have a hoist.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Are you still on the factory cams, ever think about going custom? Seems like now is the time to do it. You got that thing torn apart!

The new wheels look awesome, your old setup was legit too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Wow.. I love the 15" front wheel. That just changed the perspective on my car big time!

What's the back spacing on them?

cj428mach

Established Member
It would kill me to pull my heads off and put the stockers back on if I worked at Livernois. Lol it killed me to put my stock heads back on my car and I don't work at Livernois.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I tip my hat to you guys who go to this length of maintenance/mods. I've long given up on anything but simple stuff. If my checkbook says 'no', it's no. LOL.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I don't know what cams you have, but with everything apart, you should go ahead and degree them in. Also, ARP cam bolts especially if they are '03 10mm cam bolts. The 10mm bolts are torque to yield and cannot be reused.

ctgreddy

Established Member
While I woulda loved to do custom cams and get headwork done it just wasn’t in the budget. Sucks putting it back together with stock stuff but all well. I considered degreeing in the stock cams, but I asked Todd Warren if there’d be any benefit and he said no, so not worth the couple hours to do so.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
While I woulda loved to do custom cams and get headwork done it just wasn’t in the budget. Sucks putting it back together with stock stuff but all well. I considered degreeing in the stock cams, but I asked Todd Warren if there’d be any benefit and he said no, so not worth the couple hours to do so.
Sounds good, remember don't reuse those stock cam bolts.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Dont worry new cam bolts were used.

Was hoping to get most of the engine stuff back together this weekend. But now my buddy talked me into respraying the engine bay since it's seen its fair share of abuse. So will be taping/covering everything then repainting over the weekend. Atleast it'll look good when the weather finally gets warm haha.

Users who are viewing this thread