Landscaping or grass experts help Pls

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
My husky has my back yard a mess. There is dirt everywhere where grass should be. I remember seeing on tv about a seed that you spread that will grow grass. Its used instead of buying grass patches. Im not looking for a fertilizer just something to spread and let grow kind of like chia pet:??:
Any help:shrug:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
My husky has my back yard a mess. There is dirt everywhere where grass should be. I remember seeing on tv about a seed that you spread that will grow grass. Its used instead of buying grass patches. Im not looking for a fertilizer just something to spread and let grow kind of like chia pet:??:
Any help:shrug:

rye grass:shrug:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think everyones dog is guilty of that.

Our yard is bad to because it's a new house and our grass isn't fully grown yet. So it gets nasty really quick. Plus here in VA we have the nice, real clumpy red clay mud which makes an absolute mess after walking on something.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
i too have had a dog rip apart a lawn. Simple conclusion: have dog, or have nice lawn

Taw

Established Member
Dude you are in Fla,..just sod and forget about it. Instant grass replacement anytime it starts to look bad and its cheap enough. You will never get grass from seed growing fast enough to cover in a high traffic area with a dog.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
No grass will survive dog traffic. Scott's is currently trying though.

To fix the dirt, just rototill, compact with a tamper, then roll sod down.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just go to your local hardware store or Home Depot and they should have bags of grass seed. I don't know what sizes they have but the bigger bags are about $60/bag. I've used it before on very large lawns and it works pretty well.

Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the seed but if you go to the store they should know. If they don't have it you might just want to call a landscaping company and they can direct you to the companies that they buy their sod from, and they should have it for sure.

68thoroughbred

Established Member
I think i remember the commercial that you're talking about, but it was an infomercial, so i never looked into it. Like someone already said, the only way to fix it is to till it, roll it, and sod it. If it's just a few spots, you can just dig some of the dirt out of them, fill with fresh topsoil, and seed or sod over it. The problem has something to do with the acid in the urine, and it stays in the soil, that's why the grass dies and won't come back.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Fill in the hole and if you have Bermuda (which I'm sure you do) it's going to fill itself in soon enough. Just keep the dog off of that spot.

Believe me I've been trying to kill that shit for about 5yrs. It's got roots about 10 to 15' deep.:cuss:

WVFord

Established Member
Walk your dog more, he is high energy and needs to walk and walk and walk. He will then be calm and cool in the back yard. There will be no need for him to expend all his energy in the back yard.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I have been doing landscaping for over 10 years and I can tell you that no grass is going to hold up with a dog that constantly scratches and claws it all up. This is most common when people have their dog tied to a leash and do not allow the dog to run freely around the yard. Dogs must have exercise and if they are tied up they will run back and forth in order to get a workout. This combined with digging is most likely your problem. If your dog is allowed to run freely then it should not tear up the grass unless you didnt have much grass to begin with.

What you need to do is relocate the dog to another area so that you may re-seed the messed up spots. Right now is not the best time to seed because its so cold outside and the grass will not grow unless you are in a warm part of the country. You may need to wait until around March or early April to plant the seeds. They will take a few weeks before they have grown strong enough to let the dog loose on. Another suggestion is to build a fenced in dog pen. One that is big enough so that it can run around. One downside to this is that the dogpen will eventually become nothing but dirt and your dog will be have dirt on him/her all the time. That magic grass seed is not going to work. Your dog is digging up the roots, thats why no grass ever grows back....

Users who are viewing this thread