Lab analysis - Cost & Test Metrics

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
So I've been looking into what other Mustang enthusiasts use for lab testing their fluids, and saw that one guy uses Blackstone Labs. I can see I can get a 6 pack of pre-paid tests for $19 each, with a free test kit. Since the cost of a Boss oil change with full synthetic and filter would typically cost about ~ $100 assuming you perform the labor yourself, it would be worthwhile to find out if you could safely go say 10k miles between street driven oil changes, versus dumping it it at 5k miles. Of course everything changes if you are going to track your car, but for now let's just assume normal, semi-aggressive street driving, with occasional WOT during on ramp acceleration, but no sustained high RPM usage as is typical on a closed course.

I'm also a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Just because lab A charges X and B charges Y, there is likely some difference in the testing methods, as well as the total number of tests performed. Therefore I am starting this thread to get some feedback as to what other folks use / recommend.

While I may not have the passion of *cough* certain frequent posters to this sub-forum :D , I would like to find out how to get the most out of my $100+ oil changes, while maintaining maximum protection & performance. With all the money we have invested in these new Mustangs, paying for some lab testing seems to be well worth it in my book.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Almost Every Blackstone report I've read says the oil didn't need to be dumped yet and could have gone a few thousand more, those where with a quality synthetic..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Every Amsoil Signature Series lubricant I drained and tested ~6,000 miles was wasted. Wear metals were in check, TBN was still strong, and Viscosity sheared less than 3% to nothing.

I can see I can get a 6 pack of pre-paid tests for $19 each, with a free test kit.

The only gripe I have about Blackstone, they do not do TBN testing for that price, nor is shipping included. They always make you pay $10.00 per test more + shipping. Since I prefer UPS over snail mail USPS, that's an additional $8.00.

OAI Labs kit - does TBN testing and pre-paid UPS shipping for their kits. The best part, it's only $25.75 for preferred customers.

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Every Amsoil Signature Series lubricant I drained and tested ~6,000 miles was wasted. Wear metals were in check, TBN was still strong, and Viscosity sheared less than 3% to nothing.

The only gripe I have about Blackstone, they do not do TBN testing for that price, nor is shipping included. They always make you pay $10.00 per test more + shipping. Since I prefer UPS over snail mail USPS, that's an additional $8.00.

OAI Labs kit - does TBN testing and pre-paid UPS shipping for their kits. The best part, it's only $25.75 for preferred customers.

Any recommendations on where to get some Amsoil oil? Cheapest price of course

Users who are viewing this thread