Kook's O/R X pipe and adding CAT's

killrSVT

Established Member
Moved to an emission's inspecting area and need to convert my O/R X pipe to 49 state legal. Anyone ever added CAT's to a Kook's off road X pipe for Long Tube headers? I am trying not to shell out $450 for the Kook's Catted X pipe. I would be removing CAT's after inspection.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I picked up a set of Magnaflow cats from Summit for $120. I haven't installed them yet. But I've been quoted $80-$100 for it.

killrSVT

Established Member
I picked up a set of Magnaflow cats from Summit for $120. I haven't installed them yet. But I've been quoted $80-$100 for it.

I saw those, not a bad price. Do you have Kook's LT and o/r X? I was thinking how it would mate with the collectors..

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have Bassani mids with the x pipe. The exhaust shop would probably just cut out the pipe and weld the cat in it's place.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
WHY? Borrow a stock midpipe for the inspection and put that NICE expensice Kooks X back on, Don't hack that thing up! OOPS Edit I forgot you had LT's!! hhmm?? maybe ask around local forums to see if anyone has a catted shorty H or Xpipe lying around you could borrow, if you were in Fla we have some at the shop..

Last edited:

killrSVT

Established Member
WHY? Borrow a stock midpipe for the inspection and put that NICE expensice Kooks X back on, Don't hack that thing up! OOPS Edit I forgot you had LT's!! hhmm?? maybe ask around local forums to see if anyone has a catted shorty H or Xpipe lying around you could borrow, if you were in Fla we have some at the shop..

No way in hell am I welding the o/r pipe.. I just need something to mount, inspect and reinstall the o/r pipe.

How well do different manufacturers mount up?

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I bought a set of the magnaflow metallicats. I had a should make me a motching set of Offroad pipes then went home, cut and welded the cats in the new off road pipes, then installed.

So now I have a choice to either run cats or the offroad pipes.

Just a idea.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No way in hell am I welding the o/r pipe.. I just need something to mount, inspect and reinstall the o/r pipe.

How well do different manufacturers mount up?

That kind of limits your options then. Usually one manufacturer needs some tweaking to mount up to another manufacturer.

killrSVT

Established Member
Well what collectors do you have on the Kooks? Slip Fits I would assume???

Yes, slip fits.

Is there anyone out there that is running Kook's LT's and NOT a Kook's catted Mid pipe? I would like to know the combination. I am looking to save money and avoid buying the $460 Kook's. Like SLP $315 or BBK $360. It is only to pass emissions and the o/r is going back on.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Moved to an emission's inspecting area and need to convert my O/R X pipe to 49 state legal. Anyone ever added CAT's to a Kook's off road X pipe for Long Tube headers? I am trying not to shell out $450 for the Kook's Catted X pipe. I would be removing CAT's after inspection.

Can be done. Not sure it will pass emissions but may pass the visual inspection.

Stock is 4 cats correct? Give it a shot a let everyone know

killrSVT

Established Member
Can be done. Not sure it will pass emissions but may pass the visual inspection.

Stock is 4 cats correct? Give it a shot a let everyone know

Yes, there are 4 on the stock H.

clarification in my last post, I will be removing the catted X pipe after inspection and putting my o/r x pipe back on. Not,removing the cats from the catted x pipe.

JoNasty

Established Member
Simple and easy answer is spend the extra 100 and buy the kooks. OR buy a cheap new (bbk, VRS, Flowtech, Magnaflow, etc) or used mid pipe with cats, heck buy one without cats and weld cats in THEN cut the ball socket or 3 bolt flange off, weld a slip fit on it and go inspect away. BUT if you cant do this yourself save money and buy the Kooks piece already set up from a dealer there are definite deals to be had on Kooks if you know where to look. -Jonas

Users who are viewing this thread