Kooks mid length hitting frame... suggestions?

konabluekiller

Established Member
Purchased a 2013 boss 302 with a D1sc, t56, and full kooks exhaust with headers already installed. Been noticing a slight rattle clatter from the front drivers side and finally threw it up on the lift to find what I suspected. The drivers side kooks mid length header is hitting the frame rail... It's almost touching with the car at rest so when engine torques over just the slightest amount or when hitting bumps, that one runner taps on the frame. Been doing it Ita while because the paint is rubbed off. What motor mounts are adjustable to raise the engine slightly? All the ones I see will only lower the engine. Did anyone else with Kooks headers experience this problem?

Deranged2013

Established Member
Is it hitting the K member? Is so, you can change it out for the BMR k member. That should give you plenty of room for headers.

konabluekiller

Established Member
Not the k member. It's hitting what would be a "frame rail" on an older car. Best way to explain it. Engine needs to raise like an 1/8 inch.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
You need the steeda hd motor mounts... I had the same problem, it only drops maybe 1/4" but it fixed the problem. I tried 2 sets of brand new kooks headers and it did it on both... It pretty much sits right against the frame rail on the driver side.

konabluekiller

Established Member
You need the steeda hd motor mounts... I had the same problem, it only drops maybe 1/4" but it fixed the problem. I tried 2 sets of brand new kooks headers and it did it on both... It pretty much sits right against the frame rail on the driver side.

Gonna try this if washers don't work or look dumb

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I would call Steeda first. The spacers are thicker and machined to stack on top of each other without sliding. But if you are going to use washers, I would put them under the center bolt

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
I didn't wanna try washers or anything so I got the mounts and it worked perfectly... Also felt a difference when driving that I can't explain. But lowering the engine a hair, I guess lowering the center of gravity but right away I felt a difference which I wasn't expecting.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Is yours hitting on the top or bottom of the frame rail? Mine was pretty much sitting against it and lowering it gave it the clearance. Unless I'm miss remembering, it was over a year ago now... But i had the first set of headers installed and it hit, I had a rattle and looked down the engine bay and saw it right against the frame... Got a 2nd set of headers from kooks and it did the same thing. So we did the motor mounts and it 100% fixed the problem.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you with lowering the engine, maybe I'm wrong and it raised it? But It absolutely fixed the same issue I was having.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Yeah It was. I figured it was a problem with the specific set of headers I had. So we tried a 2nd set that kooks sent... And then saw the same problem, so we installed the motor mounts and it gave the clearance I needed. I was skeptical and wasn't sure it would work, but it did and I could clearly see the gap between the frame and the headers. Haven't touched at all since

DallasBoss

Established Member
Well this makes me nervous about my upcoming Kooks install. I always thought that Kooks was one of the best in terms of fitment.

Users who are viewing this thread