Kooks 1 5/8 headers before and after

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Well the stock headers are 1-5/8" and people make good power with them but a larger header would be preferred for boost.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
This is the same as people who think that they need a 3" exhaust to make power. Is it better than stock, Yes. Is it necessary, No. Not unless you are trying to make 1000HP or more. I have seen a few dyno's of people making over 700 whp with the stock OAP's. My car has the lethal pipes and I made 740hp with the auto trans. They are 2-3/4" and are mandrel bent, that in itself is better than stock but being able to make 700+ whp with them is a statement.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
As stated plenty of people have kept stock headers and made significant gains with boost. I do not see how switching from stock headers to high quality kooks 1 5/8 would be hurting performance for me. I dont think my problem lies in my headers...

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I wonder why your power levels differentiate from others?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I think a lot of people that have made big NA power used the Comp stage 3 camshafts honestly. I am going to keep the L&M cams, put the stock exhaust cams back on for good measure, come up with a solution for the short block, and run the piss out of the car next year :) I am thinking about either a procharger or JPC single turbo so I can continue to use my CJ manifold.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
And not that I would recommend the 1 5/8 headers now that I am looking back; however, there are also people on various other forums that did not gain much at all by installing headers to begin with, especially those that installed them after getting rid of cats.

In conclusion, I can't complain. I have a strong running car with healthy datalogs. It is light on peak power, but I have two plus years of learning experience out of the process as well. I can't wait to take my grandkids in a ride in her one day.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I think a lot of people that have made big NA power used the Comp stage 3 camshafts honestly. I am going to keep the L&M cams, put the stock exhaust cams back on for good measure, come up with a solution for the short block, and run the piss out of the car next year :) I am thinking about either a procharger or JPC single turbo so I can continue to use my CJ manifold.

Awesome plan man! Check out dustins single kit too. It's a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread