Koni 'Yellows' vs Tokico D-Specs

Dave_6

Established Member
I'm at the point where I want to order some struts and shocks before I put my Steeda Ultra-Lites on. My two choices are obviously the Yellows or D-Specs; everywhere I've looked it is practically the same price for a set of either one so the price isn't a factor. My car currently isn't a daily driver; I do plan on doing some drag racing as well as taking it to Barber on occasion. I do believe the D-Specs have more adjustment but I'm wondering if that could be almost a negative as having too much to mess with (or mess up lol).

Anyone happen to have experience with both of these?

FWIW I'm going to be adding some Whiteline parts such as their sway bars, LCAs and relo brackets too.

CobraHuck

Established Member
I wondered the same thing for a long time, seems like Konis have a slight edge opinion wise around here.

I actually decided to go with Strange 10-ways after I read a magazine article where they had good results road racing with them. They're a good chunk cheaper than Tokicos or Konis too.

Sent from TapaTwat

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I have no regrets putting my koni yellows on. They have good settings for mulitple uses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I love my Tokicos. Most people run then on single integer turns from firm, but since the adjustment is nothing more than an allen head screw that controls the valves, you can run them at whatever you feel fit, like 3.64202 turns (you get the picture).

Plus, my Tokicos are a darker color and hide better under the car, versus the bright yellow of the konis. :p

5.0GT

Established Member
It hard to tell whats better because you'll need data and people that tried both. When i was searching for reviews i couldnt decide but then kinda leaned toward the tokico because i was told there is a wider adjustment range and black Friday made it final. I like the way the car handles now but i have a bunch of stuff on (sig).

Whats the adjusment rang on the konis? Its 7.5 turns on the tokico

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
It hard to tell whats better because you'll need data and people that tried both. When i was searching for reviews i couldnt decide but then kinda leaned toward the tokico because i was told there is a wider adjustment range and black Friday made it final. I like the way the car handles now but i have a bunch of stuff on (sig).

Whats the adjusment rang on the konis? Its 7.5 turns on the tokico
7.5 turns? I'm way to scared to go that soft on them....Shoot, I tried 6 for like 10 minutes and I was sweating bullets that something would happen. :eek:

Graboid

Established Member
The Konis have a good warranty also. Haven't tried both but felt no need after getting the yellows. I have heard good and bad about specs. Also heard mostly good on the Strange adjustables.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I have the D-Specs with no complaints....Bought them because I got them on sale!
Tokico had a 70% off sale one day and it happened to be the same weekend I was gonna pull the trigger on a Koni STR.t kit. I run them at -5 front and rear for daily back and forth to work. -3/-4 on the rd course track.

mhyjek

Established Member
I have the yellows and the adjustment is more than enough for me. There is 3 full turns so basically you have 1080 degrees in settings. So far I have one full turn off the softest setting and for spirited street driving seems to be perfect. I had the brembo suspension circa 2013 and it was ok but the car seemed to float on higher speeds. My test is on a local highway there is turn I take at 70 to 80 mph that has a big undulation in mid apex. Before with brembo the car would bounce up and come down soft and feel like a boat cutting a wake. Now the car stays planted and feels 1000% safer!!!! I have koni yellows gt500 strut mounts, ebiach camber bolts, whiteline UCA, and Metco billet LCAS with relocation brackets. Can't wait for some drier warmer weather to comment on the traction side of my setup...

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
What happened?

the top of the strut where the Allen key went in butterflied open. had to cut off the stud to get to my spring. itt paid for shipping of both the old and new. didn't take long for them to process either.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
the top of the strut where the Allen key went in butterflied open. had to cut off the stud to get to my spring. itt paid for shipping of both the old and new. didn't take long for them to process either.

That is pretty awesome.

*Excuse Any Grammar or Spelling Errors*
Tapatalkin' on the iPhone

Doug1227

Established Member
I recently put the Koni Yellows on my car. In my opinion, full soft is stiffer than the stock dampers. If you're looking for something that you can loosen up for the 1/4 mile, they don't get very loose. I like them and they feel great, but if I had to do it again, I might would go with the Strange since they can get pretty soft at full soft. I'm not gonna change them, but that's my .02. Not sure if anyone will agree with me or not.

13DIB5.0

Established Member
i have the konis and i agree they are way stiff full soft, of course im on h an r supersports so that plays key im sure, i like them but if i did it again id do the stranges for sure, just becuase i enjoy drag racing

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I wondered the same thing for a long time, seems like Konis have a slight edge opinion wise around here.

I actually decided to go with Strange 10-ways after I read a magazine article where they had good results road racing with them. They're a good chunk cheaper than Tokicos or Konis too.

Sent from TapaTwat

How do the Strange 10 ways ride on the road? Can you adjust them as soft as the stock shocks?

5.0GT

Established Member
7.5 turns? I'm way to scared to go that soft on them....Shoot, I tried 6 for like 10 minutes and I was sweating bullets that something would happen. :eek:

like what? I'm at 7 and I think I maxed the travel today with 3 passengers lol

Users who are viewing this thread