Koni Sports installation issue

Dave_6

Established Member
Quick rundown; car is a 2013 GT non-Brembo car. I bought some Steeda Ultralite springs back on Black Friday and have been waiting to get some adj struts before I installed them. Finally decided to go with Koni Yellows and use the GT500 mounts instead of my stock ones. I got the Konis from the Tire Rack and here is the part # for them: 8741 1549SPORT (on the label on the box)

The mounts are M-18183-C (Ford Racing).

The problem I have is the threaded part of the shaft isn't long enough to go all the way through the mount. The very tip of the adjustable end just barely gets flush with the top surface of the mount. There is absolutely NO way to get a nut on there, much less tighten it.

Any idea(s) WTF is wrong?

Dave_6

Established Member
If so, I'm either going to have to re-use the stock mounts (which I don't want to do) or possibly order those Steeda HD mounts I guess. Definitely doesn't look like these GT500 mounts are going to work.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I recommend reusing your stock strut mounts. You do have the 2011+ struts.

Don't discredit your stock mounts, if they were not making noises before, you will be fine.

Dave_6

Established Member
Well they're not making any noise so I guess I could, I just didn't want to fool with taking the stock strut/spring assembly apart (I bought new boots, spring seats and bump stops). Now I wonder if American Muscle will take these GT500 mounts back...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You could return the older style OEM mounts and order a replacement set of OEM 2011+ mounts. Then you could keep the factory struts and springs intact.

I do not trust aftermarket mounts. Had a Steeda set that was rather noisy.

Last edited:

radioguy1

Established Member
Well they're not making any noise so I guess I could, I just didn't want to fool with taking the stock strut/spring assembly apart (I bought new boots, spring seats and bump stops). Now I wonder if American Muscle will take these GT500 mounts back...
You do have the 2011+ struts, as was said. And they don't work with the GT500 mounts, but the GT500 mounts do work with the 2005-2010 KONI Mustang struts. I put in the 2011+ struts and reused the stock strut mounts and they have worked fine. There are some "heavy duty" strut mounts from Steeda for $350 per set (That work with the 2011+ KONI struts) - if you think you want something extra heavy duty.
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

BMR Tech

As stated, you have (2) items that are not able to be utilized together.

You can return the GT500 Mounts, and grab a set of replacement 11+ Mounts.....or you can swap the Koni's out for the 1494's.

I honestly recommend the 1494's and the GT500 mounts.

If you do choose to re-use 2011+ Mounts, do yourself a favor and just buy a new set from Ford. I have seen, on WAY too many occasions, my customers try to re-use what they thought were "good" 2011+ mounts, to only have to tear it apart again due to noise. I never, ever, recommend re-using the Upper Mounts.

The mounts you need are: BR3Z18183D

Unfortunately, I believe they are going to cost you more than the GT500 Mounts.

IIRC, you contacted me about having the 1549's in stock. I apologize that I only replied "yes" instead of asking.....as it actually crosses my mind every single time someone inquires about the 1549's. We probably sell 100:1 of the 1494's in comparison to the 1549's.

Last edited:

DallasBoss

Established Member
Did you compress the new spring? I'm currently in the middle of the same install, but using Steeda sport springs and Steeda HD mounts. I originally thought that the new spring would be short enough enough so that the strut shaft would protrude far enough thru the mount to allow the nut to thread on. It wasn't. I had to compress the new spring to create the clearance.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have steeda mounts. They're really nice, I suggest getting those instead of using the stock mounts or the GT500 ones. My GT500 strut mounts poped and my steeda ones don't.

Dave_6

Established Member
The main problem is that I didn't realize there were any 2011+ specific struts available. I thought the only Konis on the market were the 2010 versions, then again Tire Rack, BMR and Steeda all listed different part #'s for each so that's my fault. However, I've never noticed that these GT500 mounts could only be used on the 2010 style strut. I should have done it right and went with the Steeda mounts but I was just being my usual cheap self and now I've got myself in a bind.

So what would you do? Keep the mounts and see if I can exchange the struts, or return the mounts and get the 1494 version struts?

BTW thanks for the help and info guys! Kelly, I should have inquired more and I wouldn't be in this situation now. :)

EDIT: Well nevermind. Tire Rack only carries the 1549s so I can't send these back and swap for the 1494s. Guess the Steeda mounts is it then!

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You did push the mount down onto the shaft though, right? I know it seems like a stupid simple question, but wanted to ask anyways.

Dave_6

Established Member
Did you compress the new spring? I'm currently in the middle of the same install, but using Steeda sport springs and Steeda HD mounts. I originally thought that the new spring would be short enough enough so that the strut shaft would protrude far enough thru the mount to allow the nut to thread on. It wasn't. I had to compress the new spring to create the clearance.

Yes I already had the spring on our wall mounted compressor here at work. I tried it when I first got the struts in and the spring will have to be compressed for sure.

DallasBoss

Established Member
Well I can't yet comment on any noises with the Steeda mounts since I'm not done with the installation, but they do feel like very solid pieces. I bought them thru Sam Strano and he recommended them. I would keep your 2011 struts and upgrade the mounts.

DallasBoss

Established Member
As stated, you have (2) items that are not able to be utilized together.

You can return the GT500 Mounts, and grab a set of replacement 11+ Mounts.....or you can swap the Koni's out for the 1494's.

I honestly recommend the 1494's and the GT500 mounts.

If you do choose to re-use 2011+ Mounts, do yourself a favor and just buy a new set from Ford. I have seen, on WAY too many occasions, my customers try to re-use what they thought were "good" 2011+ mounts, to only have to tear it apart again due to noise. I never, ever, recommend re-using the Upper Mounts.

The mounts you need are: BR3Z18183D

Unfortunately, I believe they are going to cost you more than the GT500 Mounts.

IIRC, you contacted me about having the 1549's in stock. I apologize that I only replied "yes" instead of asking.....as it actually crosses my mind every single time someone inquires about the 1549's. We probably sell 100:1 of the 1494's in comparison to the 1549's.

Any particular reason you sell so many more 1494's vs the 1549's? Is lower compatible mount cost (gt 500) a factor or is there a performance/quality issue with the 2011+ units?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
why not get the maximum motorsports caster camber plates at that point and get more adjustability than the steeda hd mounts...

its not like they are going to cost an arm and a leg more and you can get more adjustability.

Dave_6

Established Member
why not get the maximum motorsports caster camber plates at that point and get more adjustability than the steeda hd mounts...

its not like they are going to cost an arm and a leg more and you can get more adjustability.

I forgot about those. I'll look into them too, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread