Kodi.tv (openELECT etc) - add-ons for sports

Blown 89

Established Member
but for ease of access in the living room, where multiple people may use it, no need to tell them " so go through this to get to that, and then click this" When I can just say.. " hey open this program and type in a movie"
I have three sections in Kodi. Music, movies, tv. Click on movies and everything is listed by cover art. If you can work a Redbox kiosk you can work Kodi. It's not rocket science

Blown 89

Established Member
Is unraid monthly fee?
It's a one time licensing fee. The cheapest option is $59.

Does unraid do the scrapping and downloading of content?
It does not. Unraid is NAS (Network Attached Storage) software. Basically you put a bunch of hard drives into it and it backs up whatever is on it. If one hard drive fails it's backed up. Not only do I have entertainment on mine but also important files and family photos. It's basically stores your files.

Sonarr and Radarr scrape the content from indexing sites. Nzbget or Sabnzbd download the content then send it back to Sonarr/Radarr (or sickrage/couchpotato) where they organize things. If you're doing all of that on a NAS those run in something called a docker. Kodi runs independently of the NAS (although you can run it from one) and makes it all look pretty and easy to navigate. It takes some setting up and running but the payoff is worth it once it's automated and you never have to look at it again. If you use torrents it's free, if you use other methods it costs a small amount every month. I pay $7 a month plus the lifetime licenses for Emby/Plex and various indexing sites. There are a few downsides but the advantages are too many to list.

This will really only be beneficial to a real cord cutter.
Yes and no. A NAS device is for anyone that wants to back up data. Businesses use it to back up files and normal people use it to back up digital photos and such. It just so happens that it can also download things for you. I know a lot of people that still have cable but run these types of systems. Personally, I haven't had cable in nearly 20 years. I don't have Netflix or any other subscription services at this point either.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

People still torrent?

When I had Time-Warner cable, they would threaten to cancel your service and possibly bring legal actions against people downloading/sharing torrents. I've personally never been a fan of torrents. I come from the old school days when torrents were often virus bombs that took a lot of manual work to fully get rid of. I've shied away from them ever since.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I never had any virus issues with torrents, but I did receive an email from Time Warner telling me to stop.

Back on topic...
I used Kodi for awhile, but never had much luck getting sports on it. For out of market NFL games I get stream links from a forum and stream to my TV. I never looked into how to add repositories on it so I only had access to what was on it when it installed. I might check out the Reddit forums to learn more about it.

I use Terrarium on my phone and on the fire tv box for movies and tv shows with little problems.

Coiled03

Established Member
I really want to do this, but I can't get my head around how. Seems like there are too many different ways to do it, so I get lost in the quagmire.

I want to be able to watch live TV (particularly some sports content) and my local content, use a remote control (not my phone), and I'd prefer to stop using torrents. Anybody got a simple "kodi /terrarium for newbs" step by step guide? PM me if it's too much to type out here.

Actually, I bet there's a "kodi for dummys" book lol.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I use the Playstation Vue app (paid service) for my normal "live tv" watching. Terrarium app for TV shows that I can't get on demand and movies sometimes. Once you install in on your fire stick/fire box it's pretty straight forward. I've never streamed it from my phone to the tv.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I really want to do this, but I can't get my head around how. Seems like there are too many different ways to do it, so I get lost in the quagmire.

I want to be able to watch live TV (particularly some sports content) and my local content, use a remote control (not my phone), and I'd prefer to stop using torrents. Anybody got a simple "kodi /terrarium for newbs" step by step guide? PM me if it's too much to type out here.

Download an app onto your firestick called " downloader"

Go into that program, and google a link for terrarium. you type that link into the downloader app.. click download. .Bam you have terrarium

Coiled03

Established Member
Download an app onto your firestick called " downloader"

Go into that program, and google a link for terrarium. you type that link into the downloader app.. click download. .Bam you have terrarium

I don't have a firestick. I have a chromecast. If I have to buy one, can't I just buy it with Kodi preloaded?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I don't have a firestick. I have a chromecast. If I have to buy one, can't I just buy it with Kodi preloaded?

If you have an Android you can download terrarium on your android and cast it to your TV with Chromecast

You can use "allcast" app for that.

You can buy a Firestick already preloaded easily from people. They are like 50-60 bucks instead of the normal 30

Blown 89

Established Member

HTPC Guides
The rest of the information is on that site under the Usenet section using the programs I listed above. Something as simple as a $30 raspberry pi and an external hard drive will run everything. Setting it up isn't hard but it does require some reading. It's the price you pay for the massive bump in quality, usability, and convenience.

All you need for live local content is an antenna. The quality with an antenna will be miles better than cable.

Blown 89

Established Member
When I had Time-Warner cable, they would threaten to cancel your service and possibly bring legal actions against people downloading/sharing torrents. I've personally never been a fan of torrents. I come from the old school days when torrents were often virus bombs that took a lot of manual work to fully get rid of. I've shied away from them ever since.
Yeah, there are way too many downsides to torrents. Usenet is better in every single way.

Coiled03

Established Member
HTPC Guides
The rest of the information is on that site under the Usenet section using the programs I listed above. Something as simple as a $30 raspberry pi and an external hard drive will run everything. Setting it up isn't hard but it does require some reading. It's the price you pay for the massive bump in quality, usability, and convenience.

All you need for live local content is an antenna. The quality with an antenna will be miles better than cable.

So, you mentioned using unraid. I've been reading about that. Do you mind me asking how many storage devices you have attached? I only have one 2TB external HDD, and a 1TB HDD in my laptop. Seems like in order to take full advantage of the backup capabilities, you need more than one external HDD.

Blown 89

Established Member
So, you mentioned using unraid. I've been reading about that. Do you mind me asking how many storage devices you have attached? I only have one 2TB external HDD, and a 1TB HDD in my laptop. Seems like in order to take full advantage of the backup capabilities, you need more than one external HDD.
I built an actual mini-itx enclosure for it using this case:
COOLER MASTER Elite 110 RC-110-KKN2 Midnight Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
This motherboard
ASRock J4205-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.com
Three 3.5" HGST Desktar NAS drives, and a Samsung SSD for a cache drive. It's using non eec ram and a Seasonic Prime Titanium PSU. The flash drive unraid runs off of is the sandisk cruzer Limetech recommends.

Unraid isn't necessary as I know a lot of people that run those programs on old laptops or computers. I have one fully setup on an Atom 330 nettop from 2009 that runs great. You could set it up using Windows however mine runs Linux.

There are a ton of ways to accomplish a functioning media center. I went the NAS/Unraid route because I needed something to backup other files and since I use it for work files I wrote it off. It certainly doesn't need to be that complicated. Most people use old computers when they upgrade.

Stanger00

Established Member
I built an actual mini-itx enclosure for it using this case:
COOLER MASTER Elite 110 RC-110-KKN2 Midnight Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
This motherboard
ASRock J4205-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.com
Three 3.5" HGST Desktar NAS drives, and a Samsung SSD for a cache drive. It's using non eec ram and a Seasonic Prime Titanium PSU. The flash drive unraid runs off of is the sandisk cruzer Limetech recommends.

Unraid isn't necessary as I know a lot of people that run those programs on old laptops or computers. I have one fully setup on an Atom 330 nettop from 2009 that runs great. You could set it up using Windows however mine runs Linux.

There are a ton of ways to accomplish a functioning media center. I went the NAS/Unraid route because I needed something to backup other files and since I use it for work files I wrote it off. It certainly doesn't need to be that complicated. Most people use old computers when they upgrade.

I have the next 5 weeks off from work and will be digging into this because I'm looking for a more stable source of streaming content. I also have an old laptop with windows 10 loaded and 500gb HDD in it.

If I can learn this and get it up and running and it will function the same as hulu or netflix than my wife will have no problems and if it will integrate with Alexa even better!

Thanks for sharing and not being super condescending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
I have the next 5 weeks off from work and will be digging into this because I'm looking for a more stable source of streaming content. I also have an old laptop with windows 10 loaded and 500gb HDD in it.

If I can learn this and get it up and running and it will function the same as hulu or netflix than my wife will have no problems and if it will integrate with Alexa even better!

Thanks for sharing and not being super condescending
Sonarr, Radarr, Plex, and NZBget are easy to install on windows. Link it to a usenet account and an indexer and Bob's your uncle. Hardwire it to the network if you can and keep it always running. If you like the way it works you can always get one of the myriad of sub $300 mini pc's on the market to run it and use your TV's CEC support to control it with a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread