knocking motor.. will gear oil temporarily fix problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rio95cobra

Established Member
My friend has an '01 Cobra he just bought. It immediately starting knocking a week after and now he's wanting to trade it in instead of replacing the motor. Question is, would adding some 80w90 or 74w140 fix the problem and make the motor quiet enough to go trade it in at a dealership?

I realize this is pretty dishonest but he financed the cobra and doesn't have the money for a rebuild.. so he's between a rock and a hard place. Just trying to figure out what a temporary "fix" would be.

I can't remember if '01 32 valve Cobras take 6 or 7 quarts.. but how many quarts of gear oil vs quarts of 5w20 should be added if this is an option?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looking for help materially misrepresenting a defect eh? I'd find a new friend, as that one is obviously a dishonest person.

rio95cobra

Established Member
I'm just a messenger.. trying to find a solution for him. Selling to an individual vs trading it in for something else doesn't seem to be a hard decision for him to make; a dealership can take a hit, they've ripped every one of us off at one point or another.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
There is an old saying in Spanish that I'm going to try to translate to English. It goes something like this: tell me who you're with and I will tell you who you are. You don't want a dishonest friend like that because that will make you just like him.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm just a messenger.. trying to find a solution for him. Selling to an individual vs trading it in for something else doesn't seem to be a hard decision for him to make; a dealership can take a hit, they've ripped every one of us off at one point or another.

So that's how you justify it? I'm starting to see why you two are friends. Something about like-minded people associating with one another...

rio95cobra

Established Member
^ I understand and I do agree. I'm not out to rip anyone off, just help a guy who has financed a car, needs a new engine, yet does not have money for it. It's his only vehicle and he has to do something soon. I understand his situation and I feel bad for him. I told him I'd ask around because I've heard of someone doing this before but wasn't sure if it actually worked or not.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Is it a rod knock. Throw out bearing maybe it won't cost too much. If he only had it a week I would contact seller to help or I would maybe take legal action if possible

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
How can you say you're not trying to rip anyone off as you're posting on an Internet forum asking for advice to help your friend rip someone off?

Trying to mask a major engine problem just long enough to trade it in is incredibly dishonest. And you coming here soliciting advice makes you just as bad your friend. It speaks volumes about your character.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
lucas oil treatment will quiet it. we had a worn wrist pin in a 01 cobra. i ran motorcraft 5w20 and one bottle of oil treatment tick disapeared. keep engine speeds low below 3500. we got 25,000 miles from it like this, then sold it to a member on here who I EXPLAINED what was wrong and what oil I ran to try to get us some time. When I started the car so he could hear the tick it was so quiet I didnt even hear it, and I knew what to listen for.

Id do the same BUT try to find another engine before selling it. dont let someone else pick this hurt car up. my buyer had another engine for it.

you can find mach1 engines for 2800-3500 bucks. thats nothing a small personal loan couldnt take care of and thats exactly what I had on standby if the cobra's blew. luckly I sold both seperatly

May93

Established Member
^ I understand and I do agree. I'm not out to rip anyone off, just help a guy who has financed a car, needs a new engine, yet does not have money for it. It's his only vehicle and he has to do something soon. I understand his situation and I feel bad for him. I told him I'd ask around because I've heard of someone doing this before but wasn't sure if it actually worked or not.

The next guy who buys it will most likely finance it as well. Could possibly be someone from this site. Your friend needs to either fix it correctly or be honest when trading it in.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Looking for help materially misrepresenting a defect eh? I'd find a new friend, as that one is obviously a dishonest person.

Just my 2 cents, but why not lock a thread like this when you see it? Warn the OP, lock the thread and move on. Leaving it open can lead to no where good.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I could be crazy here, but how about sucking it up and doing what is correct and honest? It may not be easy, but it would be the action of a man.

listen SID, I'm looking for answers not your opinion on who you think I am

If my opinion upsets you, as evidenced by the above post, it's likely due to knowing it is correct, but wanting to accept it. Perhaps some internal reflection is in order.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just my 2 cents, but why not lock a thread like this when you see it? Warn the OP, lock the thread and move on. Leaving it open can lead to no where good.

I'm a fan of teaching/learning by the Socratic method. Through public challenging of an incorrect notion we can all learn and benefit. Simply closing the thread would have robbed the community of that opportunity. As you can see by my other posts in this thread, I do not like incorrectly denying due value to others.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
why not just fix it?

$1000 and a couple wrenching hours and it would b good as new

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm a fan of teaching/learning by the Socratic method. Through public challenging of an incorrect notion we can all learn and benefit. Simply closing the thread would have robbed the community of that opportunity. As you can see by my other posts in this thread, I do not like incorrectly denying due value to others.

Cheers to you then. Most forum Mods\Admins don't want to take the time to bother with such nonsense, but I get it - he signed himself up for a public flogging, so who are you to deny him :-D

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
My friend has an '01 Cobra he just bought. It immediately starting knocking a week after and now he's wanting to trade it in instead of replacing the motor. Question is, would adding some 80w90 or 74w140 fix the problem and make the motor quiet enough to go trade it in at a dealership?

I HATE dealerships, probably as much as anyone on here, but come on man - this is pretty much a criminal act your talking about and asking for help with. If this doesn't work out, maybe you can make a new post asking for tips on the best way to rob a bank because your buddy is in a tight spot and needs a rebuild? I mean who doesn't hate all those bank fees, right??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread