Kind of baffled by this..???

lachj1

Established Member
I took my car out this morning and on my way back I had to get gas, I had to stop at cumberland farms. It's the only station in the area. Any way the pumps were pumping wicked slow and it took 5 minutes to get 3 gallons in the car. I then drove to my father's house about 4 miles away left the car and 2 hours later I picked it up to drive home. The car started so rough and was idling crazily. I limped it home, it would barely do 20 mph in 1 st gear. I was pumping the throttle and because the motor didn't have any power it was picking up boost with just a little throttle, I was careful to stay off the boost though. i stopped at a gas station, put 2 bottles of drygas and filled it up with premium, drove home and still wasen't any better,(4 more miles) When I got home I checked the plugs to see if I fouled them or it was water in the gas. The plugs looked awesomely clean, 1000 miles on the denso's.
I put the plugs back in and started it and it was still running really rough.
My last resort, I reloaded the xcal2 tune back in the car, started it up and it was fine from there on.

My question, was it water in the gas and it decided to clear up at the same time I reloaded the tune. Or do these cars lose there tune from the memory banks?? and you have to reload the tune evry now and then.

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
If the pumps were pumping that slow, there probably wasn't much gas left in them. I agree with changing the fuel filter, you don't know what you may have pumped in the tank.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
03DOHC said:
I would change your fuel filter. Your PCM shouldn't lose data.
yeah you shouldnt just loose a tune its a pcm not a black hole, i def would start with a fuel filter its cheep and easy , you could also go back to the gas station and get a sample, if you change your filter blow through it after you will be surprized how nasty they get so fast

lachj1

Established Member
I just put 160 miles since it started running good and it seems to be back to normal, but I'm going to change the filter regardless, Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey buddy, you got a scare there! Most definitely change the fuel filter ASAP. I would have guessed water in the tank. Adding dry gas probably helped. Any time a gas pump runs really slow it's a good indicator that their tank is low. If it were me I would have stopped pumping immediately and gone elsewhere. Glad your car is running normal again. Now get ready to enjoy one of the nicest summer days we're going to have here in Connecticut. :)

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Another thing to think about...when a gas station's tanks, pumps, etc. detect a leak, they pump VERY slow. The pump goes through a self check every time you start to fuel your car. There are leak detectors placed in the ground, etc. that are checked. It's very possible your station has a very serious problem. Remember, if gas can leak out, water can other contaminates can leak in.

Users who are viewing this thread