Killer corvette...

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
He left his cell phone in the Waffle House so he couldn't call for help.

By the time someone noticed him in the car he was already dead. I guess the temperature that day was pretty hot.

This is one case where RTFM would have saved his life.

U.M.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Wow! A team Darwin Award needs to go out to everyone involved; the old man for not having the sense to pop the roof or know how to manually open the door and everybody else who tried to "help" that didn't have common sense to break the damned window!!! If I was the firefighter, I would've called every one of them a moron! AND he had a dog in the car with him?!? People smash windows in a heartbeat for a trapped dog. There's got to be more to this.

Zemedici

Established Member
Wow! A team Darwin Award needs to go out to everyone involved; the old man for not having the sense to pop the roof or know how to manually open the door and everybody else who tried to "help" that didn't have common sense to break the damned window!!! If I was the firefighter, I would've called every one of them a moron! AND he had a dog in the car with him?!? People smash windows in a heartbeat for a trapped dog. There's got to be more to this.

read the post above you hotshot.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im hoping the real deal was that the guy couldnt get anyone's attention and by the time someone did notice and do something it was too late. If his batt was unplugged then flicking lights, sounding horn, etc would be pretty useless. Even screaming would be pretty hard to hear unless someone walked by to the next car or something.

Though if you can drive a corvette still, you arent elderly to the point where you are helpless in a situation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sad story, and it sounds like maybe by the time anyone DID see him in his car he and the dog were already dead. If it is 100 degrees out, the interior of the car can reach 140 degrees in only 15 minutes with the windows up. If it's 85 degrees, the interior can reach 120 degrees in 30 minutes. So death by heat exhaustion can occur pretty quickly.

oldmodman

Established Member
It's hot in here!

I'll start the car and run the AC. It should idle for at least a few hours.

Then I'll start honking my horn. Someone will notice me. Then I'll roll the windows down and ask for help.

As a last resort I can honk out. beep,beep,beep---beeeeep,beeeeep,beeeeep---beep,beep,beep. After all, doesn't everyone know what S-O-S means?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
read the post above you hotshot.

Read the article AND the OP, hotshot. That literally was not mentioned anywhere. He and the dog were dead by the time the firefighters arrived, not the onlookers.

Zemedici

Established Member
Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
so let me get this straight... The battery dies or the power locks malfunction and the default goes to lock position? There is no inner door handle? Major design flaw! :bash:

Also, im not sure if he died before the onlookers were able to help or not. Surely they werent screwing around trying to pick the lock for an hour while this guy was suffocating to death?

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Anybody remember the urban legend about the old guy that died in his vette and it was for sale but you couldn't get the smell out?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
so let me get this straight... The battery dies or the power locks malfunction and the default goes to lock position? There is no inner door handle? Major design flaw! :bash:

No. There are multiple escape methods designed in to the C6 platform. Each door has a manual pull located on the floor next to the door. There's another pull for the drivers door and the gas door in the trunk. If the car was a coupe the targa top can be popped from within the cabin. If it was a vert, most have manual folding tops, but the electric top can be handled manually as well.

If it was a Z, then it had a fixed roof that could not be removed.

Having owned several C6's I can also attest to their sound deadening. You'd have to scream pretty damn loud to get somebody's attention on the outside. This is an unfortunate incident that could have been avoided by reading the manual. And really you don't need to do that. The door pulls aren't exactly hidden. They are in plain view and marked accordingly.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I have a Waffle House mug here, thing is solid, I bet it would go through a car window.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
[youtube_browser]L91_K-s4pMM[/youtube_browser]
:rollseyes
Im sure breaking it from the inside in the drivers seat is much easier :rollseyes

Ahh yes, the infamous Vette design. Remember seeing my brother opening the trunk to get inside the car whenever the battery would be dead or the key fob not work.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Easy to arm chair qb this. No one here is in their 70's, so you don't know what his health status is. He most likely got in the car, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start, and putzed around for 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on before it got uncomfortable in the car. He may have felt claustrophobic, and hyperventilated, or had a panic attack. He likely tried to scream and yell to get someone's attention. Whether you believe it or not, screaming for five minutes at the top of your lungs can be exhausting in a 120 degree sardine can of a car, when you're 70. It's not easy to break a car window if you're 70, especially if you've just spent several minutes screaming for help, and are exhausted.

I've been stuck in my '09 z, and will admit, the design sucks. The mild to wild exhaust switch drains the battery. Couple that to the fact that these cars may not get used every week, and you have a perfect scenario for a dead battery. I got in my car, closed the door, and knew there was a problem immediately because the interior light was dim and the auto retracting window didn't go back up. Honestly, I thought I was going to have to break the damn window, but quickly realized gm engineers wouldn't be so dumb (or would they?), and saw the door release.

Shitty way to die

Users who are viewing this thread