Killer chiller, trunk tank, new AC, and... a surprise?! (lots of pics)

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
First of all, very clean car and i love those pictures. Your attention to detail with the install is amazing.

Now for the bad news. I and a buddy of mine fought like hell trying to get out KC's to work in this southern LA heat. It's in a lightning so that means IAT2's are more crucial for us with our crap 2v heads and heavy trucks. We found out very soon that the stock clutch fan does not pull enough air in traffic. Our in cab cooling was terrible in traffic. Basically wasnt cooling at all. It's just as you described but maybe worse. Our trucks also over heated in traffic due to lack of air flow.

Long story short, he was unable to solve the problem. He put a manual fan switch to kick the fan on high. He also put a manual 3 way valve to bypass the KC for hot summer days when he is in traffic and doesnt need the KC to cool the fluid.

I have the drag kit in my truck so i can turn off incab cooling off to chill the fluid more. It allowed me to make 1/4 track runs and keep charge temps under 155ish. However i am not spinning the whipple with a 8lb lower/3.00 upper which makes around 4-5 more lbs of boost. This has cause my IC fluid to be warmer in all conditions, even around town.

I just got a svt raptor efan installed and that thing moves a ton more air than my old doo doo clutch fan. You need air flow over the condenser. The most you possibly can. That stock efan is crap. IMO you need the parrell KC kit so you can switch between the KC/in cab cooling or just incab to keep cab temps in check. Or if it can be done, have the KC plumbed with either IC fluid cooling only or A/C in cab cooling only. Im pretty sure Kincaid can do that.

BTW you need to delete you heat exchanger. The HE is heating up the fluid causing your in cab temps to rise as well as your IC fluid to be warmer. It will help but not cure your problems.

The KC is a great thing but peopel need to understand your Incab temps will suck in the summer. Sry for my typing, on my phone.

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Amazing response from a phone! Thanks for taking the time! and thank you for the attention to details compliment.. in fact thank all of you. I try to do it right the first time as I do have better things to do with my time then work on the car all the time :p

Lets see if I can keep my answer short and sweet to the points you brought up :)

Firstly, i dont have the h/e hooked up anymore. The dual pass was sold and i bought a stock h/e just to fill the gap in the bumper so thats a non issue.
As for the heat.. i think i have a few issues Ill try and address.. you know these things.. always a 100 moving parts that can compound to one problem.

This mishimoto radiator, i have heard is not great.. funny i keep hearing it months after i bought it :p.. but its already there so ill just find a way to live with it.. In traffic with AC on.. i was seeing ~230* coolant temps. Obviously hot.. that is probably caused by the condenser not having sufficient air flow across it (or being over worked by trunk tank fluid being ambient in traffic at ~85*+), then heating up the radiator with hot air..

So my solutions are few but all possible.
1. I can delete the trunk tank and switch back to aftermarket tank. I'm thinking since I have the insulated lines and power already plumbed to the trunk I might as well utilize them and also gain that extra gallon of fluid (hoping its not still too much lol)
2. I can add a pusher fan to the condenser.. problem there is wiring it.. not looking for a complex solution so my first instinct would be to tie off stock fan wiring just not sure its able to support 2 fans.
3. I can install the AC switch.. this is #3 on the list as i dont want to crack open the AC system if at all possible..

I would LOVE to have Joe Kincaid come in and let me know his opinion as calling and trying to explain all of this would be a chore :D

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

So now I'm at a bit of a loss... Its feeling like though the trunk tank due to its enormous capacity was not a good idea with the KC. I guess I should have known that when I didn't see anyone else with it...

Did you tell Joe what your plans were before you installed it? I had considered doing exactly what you did back when I was researching my KC. I talked to Joe about it, and he strongly recommended against it. The reason being the exact problem you're having. The KC doesn't have enough volumetric efficiency to cool that much water. If you really want to keep your big tank in play, talk to Joe about a larger KC core. He can no doubt put something together for you.

I love my KC. The only times I have pause about it are on those really, really hot days when I start the car and don't get that instant icy air that you'd normally get in any other car. But after driving just a few minutes (and I'm talking like 5 minutes or so) it starts cooling off just fine. It's still not icy air, but it's cool enough to be comfortable. And to be honest, it really doesn't bother me. I only worry about it when my wife is riding along. If you're going to be driving for a while, it gets quite cold as if no KC is on the car. Countless times on weekend drives I've had to turn the temp UP because my wife would start getting cold. (And me, too, a little bit!) In the summer, I start out with the temp set to 69. By the end of a long drive, I usually have it bumped up to 72/73.

laruei

Established Member
You know i didnt... not sure why i didnt.. but in retrospect i totally should have.

I am going to put my aftermarket tank in the trunk as a test to see how or if it will work well at all. I get the feeling I will have a trunk tank for sale in the next week or so :(

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Sorry to hear it isn't working how you thought it would but dude seriously.... :bowdown:. Car doesn't look to shabby either! :beer:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I am going to put my aftermarket tank in the trunk as a test to see how or if it will work well at all. I get the feeling I will have a trunk tank for sale in the next week or so :(
Although i refuse to put a big tank in my bed, i'm curious to see how this works for you.

I need to swap pulleys on my whipple and spin the blower much slower like i used to have it. I have a strong feeling that my blower is making more heat which is directly effecting my temps. I wouldnt think it mattered that much while not in boost but i fear i am wrong.

I'm going to cruisin the coast saturday. Traffic will be full retard. I will test my efans/KC then.

quad

Established Member
Amazing response from a phone! Thanks for taking the time! and thank you for the attention to details compliment.. in fact thank all of you. I try to do it right the first time as I do have better things to do with my time then work on the car all the time :p

Lets see if I can keep my answer short and sweet to the points you brought up :)

Firstly, i dont have the h/e hooked up anymore. The dual pass was sold and i bought a stock h/e just to fill the gap in the bumper so thats a non issue.
As for the heat.. i think i have a few issues Ill try and address.. you know these things.. always a 100 moving parts that can compound to one problem.

This mishimoto radiator, i have heard is not great.. funny i keep hearing it months after i bought it :p.. but its already there so ill just find a way to live with it.. In traffic with AC on.. i was seeing ~230* coolant temps. Obviously hot.. that is probably caused by the condenser not having sufficient air flow across it (or being over worked by trunk tank fluid being ambient in traffic at ~85*+), then heating up the radiator with hot air..

So my solutions are few but all possible.
1. I can delete the trunk tank and switch back to aftermarket tank. I'm thinking since I have the insulated lines and power already plumbed to the trunk I might as well utilize them and also gain that extra gallon of fluid (hoping its not still too much lol)
2. I can add a pusher fan to the condenser.. problem there is wiring it.. not looking for a complex solution so my first instinct would be to tie off stock fan wiring just not sure its able to support 2 fans.
3. I can install the AC switch.. this is #3 on the list as i dont want to crack open the AC system if at all possible..

I would LOVE to have Joe Kincaid come in and let me know his opinion as calling and trying to explain all of this would be a chore :D

I spoke with a reputable install shop about some mods for my car and they have extensive experience with the Terminators. Responses were: keep stock radiator, keep stock radiator fan and if that fails replace with stock radiator fan, keep stock flywheel. I followed the advice except for the flywheel and am thinking I should have kept that as well. Sometimes stock is better.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I spoke with a reputable install shop about some mods for my car and they have extensive experience with the Terminators. Responses were: keep stock radiator, keep stock radiator fan and if that fails replace with stock radiator fan, keep stock flywheel. I followed the advice except for the flywheel and am thinking I should have kept that as well. Sometimes stock is better.

What really sucks is arent our radiators discontinued? If we ever had a major issue we are screwed.

quad

Established Member
What really sucks is arent our radiators discontinued? If we ever had a major issue we are screwed.

Some dealers may still carry them? My radiator fan recently failed and was replaced with a stock one that a dealership had available. Perhaps they have stock radiators as well.

FiveOGirl

Established Member
I really want to know what ends up working for you. I have a KB 2.2 it gets so hot I could fry an egg on it. Even My engine bay gets hot this past weekend my hood prop was too hot to touch!! Wth

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I went do a small pull yesterday and inlet temps were better than usual. It seems my new Efan set up is really kicking butt. I have a new Jabsco bilge pump(using as a IC pump) on the way since my stock IC pump seems to barely flow. I will be data logging once it's installed. I wish we had a legal way to do a full pull without hitting the 1320 here. Once my meth is done and tune revisioned, then ill probably take it to the track for some easy launches to see how the truck mph's and IAT2's react. All runs will have IAT2's data logged of course.

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
I really want to know what ends up working for you. I have a KB 2.2 it gets so hot I could fry an egg on it. Even My engine bay gets hot this past weekend my hood prop was too hot to touch!! Wth

I dont have time for a huge update right now, but I can tell you the smaller tank and KC work. I got everything installed last night real quick and took it out. Hotest i saw on the charge temp was 170 after back to back runs. Then i just drove down the freeway nice and normal and it dropped like a rock back down to the 130's.

Then my alternator took a shit. So no more testing. I think the KC is a great product.. just not with as much fluid as i was trying to cool :( Also a KB 2.2 at 21psi is going to just put out so much heat anything is gonna have a hard time keeping up.. but the KC seems to be the best so far.

FiveOGirl

Established Member
I dont have time for a huge update right now, but I can tell you the smaller tank and KC work. I got everything installed last night real quick and took it out. Hotest i saw on the charge temp was 170 after back to back runs. Then i just drove down the freeway nice and normal and it dropped like a rock back down to the 130's.

Then my alternator took a shit. So no more testing. I think the KC is a great product.. just not with as much fluid as i was trying to cool :( Also a KB 2.2 at 21psi is going to just put out so much heat anything is gonna have a hard time keeping up.. but the KC seems to be the best so far.

So what you're saying is upgrade to a different S/C? The 2.2 just gets to hot. I've got a 2.75 upper pulley and stock lower pulley making 13 psi. I don't know how much more I can spin this thing... Time to upgrade?? Thanks for responding appreciate it!

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
If you have that kinda money yea! Buy me one too? :p

But to answer.. on pump gas usually 15lbs and like I said I run 21lbs but Im on e85 :)

FiveOGirl

Established Member
If you have that kinda money yea! Buy me one too? :p

But to answer.. on pump gas usually 15lbs and like I said I run 21lbs but Im on e85 :)

Haha good paying job.. The plan is E85 as well just hard to come by in San Francisco but it's suppose to be coming. I tried to contact KB about S/C questions but no response..

laruei

Established Member
E85 certainly helps with the heat if you can get it!

Here is how i temporarily mounted the tank in the trunk for anyone interested. Im accepting ideas for when i remount it..

2014-10-07%2020.07.03.jpg

FiveOGirl

Established Member
E85 certainly helps with the heat if you can get it!

Here is how i temporarily mounted the tank in the trunk for anyone interested. Im accepting ideas for when i remount it..

2014-10-07%2020.07.03.jpg

Id prefer not to mount a tank in the trunk, not to relocate my battery what are the options?

gabe1530

Banned
haha, that actually doesnt look half bad. if the aluminum bar was black it wouldnt stand out so much. i think your best bet might be to get a tank that mounts in the oem battery location, run the battery to the trunk and use a stock heat exchanger (i cant remember if you said you put a HE on or not).

Users who are viewing this thread