Killer Chiller(in cab temps?)

myblk32v

Established Member
Who lives in the South and has a Killer Chiller. I am contemplating investing in one before I port my blower. I know how much power gets eaten up during the summers in AZ. How has one in the hot part of the country (im talking 75+ 100+* days a year) held up to the immense heat and wear of our summers? Also, am I going to see a loss in interior cooling power with one installed?

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I just bought one the other day from a member here! I live in South Texas so I'll be interested to see how this summer goes once I get this and a whipple on:rockon: I'm sure it's gonna make one hell of a difference even with the eaton!

2001blkR

Established Member
I can't tell you how it would hold up in your arizona heat. But I can tell you that it dropped my IC fluid temps to 37 degrees. Gotta help a little if not alot.

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
I was going to buy one. I did a lot of research. I found out that the A/C will not be able to keep the car cool enough in the summer. If it's a daily driver I wouldn't do it.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I was going to buy one. I did a lot of research. I found out that the A/C will not be able to keep the car cool enough in the summer. If it's a daily driver I wouldn't do it.

Where did you get that info? If it is done right you shouldn't experiance much of a loss in cooling a all!

derockgt

Established Member
im saving for a KC next. some friends of mine in FL have it, in 100 degree weather they were seeing IAT2s in the 94-110 range depending on doing pulls and what not. but cant beat that ambient temps!

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
is this cold enough???

IMAG0596.gif

My96z

Established Member
I have one. It did not effect my in-cab AC, it was still cold. My post intercooler water temps were 37*. I played with the pressures in mine with a Harbor Freight AC gauge system. And that was on R-134A. I would not hesitate to do it.

gamebred26

Established Member
anyone run it at the track etc? i mean isnt running with your ac on parasitic?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ac shuts off at wot

And the mass of the coolant allows it to continue to cool for a significant period of time before eventually heating back up.

By that time you will likely be:

a. Done with that particular pull and as soon as you lift the a/c kicks back on to re-cool the I/C fluid.

b. Done accelerating on that straight and entering the braking zone, so a lift will initiate the A/C to come back on until the corner is completed and WOT is re-engaged.

gamebred26

Established Member
And the mass of the coolant allows it to continue to cool for a significant period of time before eventually heating back up.

By that time you will likely be:

a. Done with that particular pull and as soon as you lift the a/c kicks back on to re-cool the I/C fluid.

b. Done accelerating on that straight and entering the braking zone, so a lift will initiate the A/C to come back on until the corner is completed and WOT is re-engaged.

running the ac system all time like that..isnt going to tax it too hard? i dont use my ac at all in the summer...250 ac all day lol..

im trying to battle this heat soak with this kb2.8h..looking at meth..NO..or this.

i know about the meth and spraying in to intake tube not being the most efficient etc. so..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
running the ac system all time like that..isnt going to tax it too hard? i dont use my ac at all in the summer...250 ac all day lol..

im trying to battle this heat soak with this kb2.8h..looking at meth..NO..or this.

i know about the meth and spraying in to intake tube not being the most efficient etc. so..

The a/c system on modern cars is incredibly robust.

myblk32v

Established Member

6 months a year my a/c is on max these things are made to run all the time.

gamebred26

Established Member
are you guys running big 5 gal water tanks in the trunk? or just under the hood stuff?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I recently changed to a larger underhood IC tank, reduced my POST WOT spike I was getting after letting off on a 1st thru 4th pull from approx 115* to around 110* now.

I have everything well insulated including the IC tank. I'm averaging around 85* IAT2's now, after the spike takes several minutes to drop from 110 to 85*. I believe the main reason for the spike I see, is the closing of the throttle plate after WOT, limiting the ingestion of cooler air on the IAT sensor. Also per Joe at kincaid, the OEM sensor is prone to heat soak as well.

I have not played with my high/low pressure settings, and running regular refrigerant and not the commercial grade that some have had better results with. I could probably lower with some more adjusting...but I'm not pulling timing, so may leave as is...

I'm seeing around 19-20psi on a gen 1 whipple with RR 2.8 upper stock lower.

Last edited:

gamebred26

Established Member
i have a larger under hood from lethal just dont want to waste money on something that doesnt do much.

Users who are viewing this thread