Kenne Bell Mammoth vs. Whipple 3.4

Which would you rather run

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ContagiousB

Banned
I would really like to see Edelbrock make a supercharger for these cars. They did their homework on the E-Force supercharger for the 05 and up GTs. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/superchargers/fuel_injected.shtml

But since were on the topic of KB vs Whipple... I must say I have always liked the KB. Also, I know it was discussed earlier but how much does that Whipple clear the hood by? From the way it looks it seems like it must barely fit.

Lastly, I've been eying that deal for having the stock Eaton ported. What power would be made with a stage 5 ported Eaton vs the basic KB 2.6 or the basic Whipple? I know the price difference is about 400-500 bucks for ported and $3k + for new supercharger.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Back from the dead.

Because I'm would rather have a broad powerband on a powerful streetcar than a peaky one with huge topend power.

You mean a powerband like this? :D

elliedyno.jpg

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Im still pissed that KB wont offer a inlet upgrade for us 2.8H guys that arent "mammoth's" originally, like myself. Now im stuck with buying a 1600 dollar inlet from a individual vendor. Fun huh?

If I were lookin to do a blower at the moment not sure what I would do honestly. I dont think you can go wrong with either one, especially since most of us arent race cars.

Threads like these are cool. Especially when so many people are spinning these big blowers at below 21psi......

Unfortunately KB cant just sell an inlet upgrade for the 2.8 to make it a Mammoth. The mammoth kit is COMPLETELY different the way it mounts and bolts to the engine compared to the 2.8H. There is a lower base plate that the IC bolts to and gets bolted to the motor first with a big o ring in it. Then the blower interlocks into that plate, there is a different plate on the bottom of the blower as well, its much different.

Here is a pic of what Im talking about.

Plate.JPG

This debate KB vs Whipple will never end. As far as power, they both are capable of making roughly the same amount of power. The KB is more efficient and IATs will be lower. Yes the fastest TS car is a Whipple car. There are not many people that build a race car with a TS blower to run those kinds of #s, most just go turbo when they hit that stage. You cant compare them like that and say "well the fastest TS car is a Whipple so Whipple is the best"

I have installed many many Whipples and KBs. 2.2s, 2.6s, 2.3s, 2.4s, 2.8s, Mammoths, 3.4 you name it. I will say this as far as installation and completeness( dunno if thats a word lol) of kits. KB wins hands down every time. Whipples instructions are garbage, you may as well throw them out. The most recent Whipple I have installed, a 3.4L crusher kit was very incomplete. Instructions were for a 2.3 which is different, with a small insert about nonsense for the 3.4, they left alot of info out. They gave me the wrong hardware kit, twice! No gaskets included and alot of guess work on the install. I had to make numerous trips to the hardware store for misc bolts and place orders for gaskets and stuff that werent included and should be for $5500. KBs kits are COMPLETE everything you need, gaskets, gasket maker, special tools, precut wiring, very very detailed instructions etc etc. If you compare a KB Mammoth 2.8 kit and a 3.4L whipple kit, the mammoth is actually cheaper and comes with more stuff.

i just built a 3.4 crusher car that will be hitting the dyno. I also did a 2.8 mammoth car that will be going on the dyno again soon because it needs bigger injectors. Ill post the comparison of the 2 blowers once they are both tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread