kenne bell kit for 99 cobra

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I was looking into the kenne bell kit for my 99 cobra. Does the kit include everything to install it or do I have to find a lower intake to us it? Thanks? And has anyone bought this kit for a 99-01 cobra? Is it a good kit and does good?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you buy the kit then it comes with everything you need. But if you go that route then you're stuck with that blower. You can't upgrade to a bigger blower like the 2.8.

matt87

Established Member
people always say that but its only a tiny bit smaller than the legendary 2.2 litre. folks have been making tons of power with that little blower for years. in retrospect i would never waste my time doing a blower on a stock 99-01 cobra or 03-03 mach. my old 01 lasted about 1500 miles at 460 rwhp on a super safe tune. the rod let go.

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
so are these kits worth the money? Can you swap out the pulley on the blower? I plan on forginf my whole motor anyways so throwing a rod isnt a issue for me really.

SCMOKN

Established Member
I ran a 1.7l kit on my 03 GT for 4+ years on the stock bottom end. I was making 420hp/387tq. I am debating on an Eaton swap or another KB at the moment for my Mach1.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
go for it! are the kits for your cars intercooled? my old 97 was a hot box even with meth and popped with 382 wheel at 160mph lol

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
It includes everything you need.

To nay sayers it's all about how old the engine is, how hard you run it when driven, how cold the air stays, and how well it's tuned. My buddy has ran his since the 2.2 kit came out on his stock bottom end and still hasn't blown up. He's making 452whp, don't remember at what psi though. Same with another guy I know that has been running 9psi on his 04 GT since 2006 making 400 something.

However I do agree it is a ticking time bomb. Never know when it will let go until you go forged.

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I think i can get it in a intercooled version. It will be a winter project probably...i plan on getting a built motor and then either going whipple or the kenne bell kit...havent really made up my mind...but it is def getting a blower this winter lol.:beer:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ couldn't agree more.

Even if you don't plan on running more than 9psi on a stock motor and never upgrading from the 2.2 at least you have the 2 belt setup with an 8 rib belt for the blower.

Mike@HBH

Established Member
it comes with everything u need, and the install is straight forward. mine has held together so far with the stock internals at around 455rwhp. (intercooled kit at 9psi)

force feed

Established Member
Do the eaton swap. Did it on my 01 and never looked back. Im hitting 441 at 8psi. Bought the 2.3 whipple for it and the motor is on its way. I was in your shoes and almost bought the 2.1 but decided it was either go big or go home. Im gonna run the 2.3 for awhile and upgrade to the 3.4 next year. Its always good to have more options. Just my .02

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
throwing a rod isnt a issue for me really.

LOL! You say that right now, but it can be a big issue if it creates a nice viewing window to the crank in your block. Or takes out one of the cylinders heads. Or, as I saw at the track one time, takes out the cylinder heads and the lower intake and the blower. Bad day for that guy.

You don't want break anything, take it from me as I have melted my engine at 400rwhp, it is a headache and it happens at the worst possible time. My best advice to you is to spend your money on a forged bottom end first. Then upgrade the transmition, then the suspension, then fuel, then finally the blower.

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
LOL! You say that right now, but it can be a big issue if it creates a nice viewing window to the crank in your block. Or takes out one of the cylinders heads. Or, as I saw at the track one time, takes out the cylinder heads and the lower intake and the blower. Bad day for that guy.

You don't want break anything, take it from me as I have melted my engine at 400rwhp, it is a headache and it happens at the worst possible time. My best advice to you is to spend your money on a forged bottom end first. Then upgrade the transmition, then the suspension, then fuel, then finally the blower.

My thoughts exactly....Blowers on stock engines and drivelines are just asking for trouble....The blower part of the swap is only part of the cost, once you add a better clutch and suspension work it starts to look expensive...I was going to put a blower on my car until I started doing the $$$ math to build it right so it would last...It was too damn pricey for me to swallow.:rolleyes:...But being an engine builder at work and home I don't like to take shortcuts and this always increases my build costs.:shrug:

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
No offense, but superchargers are fine on stock motors and clutchs as long as you use common sense to what boost pressure and pending on mileage of the clutch at installation of the supercharger.

North of 8lbs your asking for a hurting on 99-01 motor, yes people run north of 10lbs ,but for how long.

KB vs Eaton - It all comes down to how soon do you want it and what your willing to spend. If you want to be blown in a month go KB, if you got time to search and locate good eaton swap parts go eaton. But you also got to be a handy guy who can do some mechanical work or have some great friends. Most eaton swap threads don't end well because most give up.

I don't think I would go KB with the cost, if I started all over again doing the eaton swap, I probably would of done a STS universal single turbo kit instead.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
And some people some want over the top power either? I know a few people that would love to have something like that and would never upgrade. I say if it is something that you want to do and something that you don't plan on upgrading because you are happy with it then do it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That looks like a nice kit but arent those pricey? Wouldnt it be cheaper to do an eaton swap? Im sure it does take more time though to find everything for the eaton swap.

Users who are viewing this thread