Kenne Bell Explorer Phase 2 Build!!!

rocket5979

Established Member
I forgot to post this in here so I will cut and paste my updates from another site.

I finally got off of my lazy butt and started tearing KBX down for its phase 2 stage of mods I have planned for it. I took a vid but way too busy/lazy to post it. The whole front end and hood are pretty much torn off and I just dropped the radiator out. I should be pulling the engine tomorrow if my schedule allows. A lot of interesting things going on with this stage of mods. After this stage of mods are completed I should be able to lay down some pretty respectable power finally; along with some good ET's in the 1/4 mile.

So far the additional mods that are sitting in my garage are:

*VT built 4.6 Billet shortblock
*Kenne Bell 8 rib swap kit w/ 2.75" snout pulley (17 psi)
Swapping to 8.5" crankover pulley in a few months (20psi)
*New adapted fenderwell CAI fabbed by yours truly (very custom)
*Steeda billet fuel rails w' 8 AN crossover
*JBA headers
*Meziere electric water pump WP347
*Meziere wiring kit
*SD 60 lb/hr injectors
*SCT BA2800 MAS (swapping from my existing BA2400)

Already on order:

*Art Carr 4R70W tranny w/ 3200 stall TC built to withstand 900 hp. I am sure the swap from the 5R to the standalone 4R will be fun.
*8 bolt flywheel
*SN-197 Tranny K-member for 4R70W
*Dual Ford GT pumps from Liberty Ford
*Dual 8 AN fuel lines

Mods to be ordered soon:

Baumann TMU for 4R70W
4R70W tranny wiring harness
Custom driveshaft (after new tranny is in)

Anyways in the list of mods I am probably forgetting something in one of the lists. Should be fun. Hopefully I can get it to 600 within the next few months if things go well (money). I love doing all the work on my own truck and all, but I kind of wish I could snap my fingers and have it done. Along with the power mods I am also going to be going with a chrome accented Black and Ford blue theme under the hood. The valve covers will get the Ford blue along with the billet rails which already are blue along with the elec fan. Depending on price I might take my PA perf. alternator I been running and have it powdercoated blue also. Well I have yapped for long enough in here tonight. Good night.

rocket5979

Established Member
Oh, just an update guys. With the help of a few of my friends we pulled the engine last night. Today we cleaned up and organized the garage again and also tore the stock Explorer motor down to the shortblock.

Just got to wait on my ARP studs and bolts along with the new gaskets and I will be able to assemble the new engine.

Tomorrow I plan to pull the tranny to get it out of the way and also drop my fuel tank to prep it for the dual Ford GT fuel pumps I will be installing in it. I thought about swapping to a baffled tank, but I will just keep the X with 1/4 tank or more gas and I will be fine when it comes to fuel entry into the hat.

rocket5979

Established Member
Sorry for not updating this much. As you can probably guess, I have been busy. I got two updates rolled into one here. First off the engine is torn apart and second I rebuilt the new engine last night.

Go HERE to see the torn apart engine and the new VT billet shortblock...

I finally built the engine yesterday. Timing the cams was a learning experience but it is all good now. I was able to make the 8AN front fuel rail crossover work. It is tight but it is functional. I also tried out the 8 rib swap too. So far things are going well with that too. Overall the engine is looking badass! I cannot wait for the rest of my fuel system parts to come in and then continue waiting on my tranny. To tide some of you over I made a video of the newly assembled engine. I think it looks pretty sexxy especially with its Ford blue accents.

KBX's Finished Engine Tour

I cannot wait to get this all into the truck and tuned. I wanna hear this thing scream!

600RWHP here I come!
moreboost.gif
firedevil.gif

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
I know the timeline of events is kind of jacked up due to me posting this all at once. All of this happened over the period of this last week though. The last post talking about the engine being completed is what I did yesterday. I Started building it at about 2PM and didn't get done till about Midnight. Yes, slow. But I wanted to make sure I got it all right; and there was a gremlin or two in there as well. Hope you all enjoy so far.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Sounds like a beast man..keep it up. :thumbsup: I always wanted to do something like that to my explorer when I had it, but I went with the GT and built it up.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Saw the post over at Explorer X. Are you still running IRS? Also, what are you trying to get out of it in the 1/4?

BigRick

Whippled Roush
Established Member
Duende said:
Pics of the Explorer? Subscribing.

+1.

That Explorer is going to be INSANE!:rockon:
I can picture you owning many unsuspecting muscle cars/ricers.:beer:

Zee

Established Member
Just curious, but were you out in skokie, by old orchard shopping center within the last week? I could have sworn I saw your truck parked off of Skokie Boulevard...

That thing is gonna be SO nice! I've wanted your truck from the second I saw it in the thread for the white one in Mexico. Keep us updated on this thing!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
XR4Turbo said:
Will this be on par with parish's chevy? That would be a wicked race!

1000 horsepower 4wd reg cab vs 600 horsepower rwd (?) Explorer. I don't think so, but hopefully I'm wrong.

That would be an awesome video though.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
His sig says the goal is officially 600 WHP. I'm not able to view the video (I have a Chevy connection, 56k) so perhaps I'm missing something.

And I've always heard Parish's truck is AWD, but perhaps I'm wrong their as well.

Users who are viewing this thread