kenne bell boost a pump interfering with speakers...?

smg944

Established Member
hey just installed my kenne bell boost a pump, it is interfering with my speakers. they hiss extremely loud once the boost a pump kicks on. i have a 5 channel amp running all speakers in the car. the bap and the amp both have seperate power wires and seperate grounds. i have changed grounds, checked them to make sure no paint was on them and i still get the hiss. the bap and amp sit side by side, i moved it about 16"s away and no change at all. any help or insite would be greatly appreciated.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
I have a BAP and two amps. One four channel and one mono-block. The BAP has the lethal wiring kit and the amps each have a dedicated 6 gauge line to the battery. I haven't had any noise issues.

Couple thoughts:
  • Are the RCA cables from the head unit to the amp run next to the power wire for the BAP?
  • Are both power wires connected directly to the battery?
  • Not sure if it matters, I have my amps grounded at the wiring harness ground point under the rear seat. The BAP is grounded in the trunk.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
me and jaspersvt spoke about this today. Mine and his both make a high pitched whine when that gets louder in the higher settings.

smg944

Established Member
redfire, the rca's are sitting right next to the bap power wire. the bap has a 12g power wire going right to the battery. the amp has a 8g power wire going right to the battery. everything is running serperately. ill give the rca's a shot. i mean this hiss is so loud at idle i dont even use my radio anymore.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
It's worth a shot. I have the RCA cables on the passenger side of the car and all my power wires along the drivers side. I have done many car stereos and always done it this way.

Some other thoughts...
  • My BAP is set at 25%, and I have it wired always on
  • My radio is powered directly from the wiring harness. I didn't run a power wire for it.
  • I don't see how it would make a difference, but my BAP is wired pre-FPDM.
  • You may also want to check and adjust the gain on the amplifier. If the gain is turned all the way up, this can make it more susceptible to noise. In this case, turn the gain down a bit and see if that helps.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Just for clarification, what car is this BAP installed in? The OP's signature makes no reference to having a Terminator...

We are comparing it to being installed in a Terminator which could be a different arrangment than whatever car the OP is referring to.

You said "once the boost a pump kicks on", so does that mean that you are using the boost activated switch? Most people with terminators don't bother using that, I wonder if that could be related? Seems doubtful...

Last edited:

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
You need a ground loop isolater for the RCA inputs for your amplifier. Thank me later.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI1-Noise-Isolator/dp/B000K50HJE/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1"]Amazon.com: PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xitel-GLI1-X1-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B00023XDYA"]Amazon.com: Ground Loop Isolator: Electronics[/ame]

Last edited:

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
I would second the ground loop iso's also. Plus I would suggest running the rca's separate and away from any other wiring if possible. The rca's are prone to picking up electrical interference and when an amp is installed it is suggested that they be run separate from any other wiring on an opposite side away from the power and turn on leads. If the rca's arent long enough to relocate to an opposite side of the car then you may be able to try runing them through the center of the car. Run them under the carpet along the tranny tunnel and to the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread