Kenne Bell 2.6 Dyno Numbers

Lance SVT

Established Member
So last Friday I took my kb 2.6 2003 Cobra up to Fast Specialties in Vancouver, WA for a dyno tune. Anyways, the car ended up putting down 516rwhp/473rwtq on a mustang dyno with I believe the tuner said 15 degrees of timing (could be wrong) with a 3 3/4" pulley (14-15 psi). He said it was a pretty conservative tune, and if I wanted more out of the car I would need bigger injectors and a maf. Also, he said that would be more like 550-560rwhp on a dyno jet. The car pulls super hard and smooth all the way through, all though I do plan on deleting the pprv valve in the future, due to some slight hesitation when shifting hard. Just wondering what you guys thought about the numbers? Thanks, and happy Friday!

03' White Snake

Established Member
The big blowers don't start becoming efficient until 18+ lbs of boost. Not bad for the boost but spin it harder and it will come alive. You are essentually spinning it like an eaton at 5 psi, below its efficiency level.

My tuner tells me my 2.8h won't become efficient until 22 psi, then it will come alive. He says at 19 lbs its like running an eaton at 8psi.

What maf, injectors and pump are you running? Stock pumps with a BAP will handle 600 rwhp. You will need at least 60 but get 80's at the same price. Obv you need a larger than stock maf. My tuner says the BA2400 which is what I currently have is good til 620-630 rwhp.

Last edited:

Lance SVT

Established Member
Spin it harder and run E-85 :)
Not bad #'s for the timing and boost.

Thanks man! I'm still learning about the car, but eventually I will bring up the boost. Just wanted to get a good baseline established. The car was running extremely lean when I got it! Unfortunately where I live there's no E-85 close by :-(

The big blowers don't start becoming efficient until 18+ lbs of boost. Not bad for the boost but spin it harder and it will come alive. You are essentually spinning it like an eaton at 5 psi, below its efficiency level.

My tuner tells me my 2.8h won't become efficient until 22 psi, then it will come alive. He says at 19 lbs its like running an eaton at 8psi.

What maf, injectors and pump are you running? Stock pumps with a BAP will handle 600 rwhp. You will need at least 60 but get 80's at the same price. Obv you need a larger than stock maf. My tuner says the BA2400 which is what I currently have is good til 620-630 rwhp.

Gotcha. I didn't know about the efficiency thing. I just got the car less than a month ago and it was running really lean with the kenne bell chip that was in it. I could hear it trying to detonate when I got it up in the rpm's. So basically I wanted a good reliable tune for now until I get the time and money to do a little more. It has stock injectors along with a stock maf. It does have a kenne bell boost a pump though. Performance wise it's basically just a kb 2.6, catback/x pipe, cold air intake, and an accufab single throttle body. I see most of you guys on here are run 18+psi with these type of chargers, and would eventually like to go that route. Is the whole mustang vs dyno jet number thing true? I hear it's about a 10-12% difference in ratings between the two, but than others say they both can be calibrated correctly. Thanks!

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Thanks man! I'm still learning about the car, but eventually I will bring up the boost. Just wanted to get a good baseline established. The car was running extremely lean when I got it! Unfortunately where I live there's no E-85 close by :-(

Gotcha. I didn't know about the efficiency thing. I just got the car less than a month ago and it was running really lean with the kenne bell chip that was in it. I could hear it trying to detonate when I got it up in the rpm's. So basically I wanted a good reliable tune for now until I get the time and money to do a little more. It has stock injectors along with a stock maf. It does have a kenne bell boost a pump though. Performance wise it's basically just a kb 2.6, catback/x pipe, cold air intake, and an accufab single throttle body. I see most of you guys on here are run 18+psi with these type of chargers, and would eventually like to go that route. Is the whole mustang vs dyno jet number thing true? I hear it's about a 10-12% difference in ratings between the two, but than others say they both can be calibrated correctly. Thanks!

You defiantly have a lot left on the table. With a few simple mods you can easily be up around the 600 mark.

ctgreddy

Established Member
^x2. You may have the mildest kb cobra out there. Very little timing, very little boost, etc. You're supporting mods away from 580-600whp. 17-18psi and 16 degrees of timing will be plenty safe on 93 pump if you do the supporting mods(fuel/maf).

Lance SVT

Established Member
You defiantly have a lot left on the table. With a few simple mods you can easily be up around the 600 mark.

^x2. You may have the mildest kb cobra out there. Very little timing, very little boost, etc. You're supporting mods away from 580-600whp. 17-18psi and 16 degrees of timing will be plenty safe on 93 pump if you do the supporting mods(fuel/maf).

Well that's good to hear! Sounds like I need to get a set of 60 lb. injectors, sct maf, a smaller pulley and another tune here in the future. What size pulley would I need to run around 18 psi? Thanks for all the info guys!

randoo

Established Member
Ijust picked up my 03 yesterday from the tuner. 2.6h, 60's, new return system, arh 1 7/8 headers, jlt, and so on...20* on torco tune did 620 rwhp run after run. Spin the blower and add fuel. you'll love it.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
So last Friday I took my kb 2.6 2003 Cobra up to Fast Specialties in Vancouver, WA for a dyno tune. Anyways, the car ended up putting down 516rwhp/473rwtq on a mustang dyno with I believe the tuner said 15 degrees of timing (could be wrong) with a 3 3/4" pulley (14-15 psi). He said it was a pretty conservative tune, and if I wanted more out of the car I would need bigger injectors and a maf. Also, he said that would be more like 550-560rwhp on a dyno jet. The car pulls super hard and smooth all the way through, all though I do plan on deleting the pprv valve in the future, due to some slight hesitation when shifting hard. Just wondering what you guys thought about the numbers? Thanks, and happy Friday!

You're not running 93 octane are you?

joshcarp81

Established Member
Glad to hear you made it back from the tuners with no issues buddy!...
Im still waiting on my tuner to call me. Been around 3 weeks now...i may have to wait til spring at this point. Flurries started last light......
Did you end up getting everything you thought from the last owner?

stangfreak

Established Member
It's been said. You need to spin these blowers man. I only run twinscrews at 19 lbs or more. Not less. I owned 4 already. Back in the day when the 2.2 came out people were running them on 17 or 15 lbs. making cool peak hp. They were running side by side with ported eaton cobras running 16to 17 lbs of boost. For me, a ts needs 19 or more

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
A mustang dyno reads much lower than a dynojet unless the dyno operator has screwed with the numbers. Those numbers looks really good for that boost level.

rahu8670

Established Member
Turn up! You are making great power for how conservative the car is tuned but it's time to get liberal with it lol

Lance SVT

Established Member
I can't thank you guys enough for all the info! The car was tuned for 92 octane (Oregon premium fuel rating). I'm just happy for now that the car is running good! Pretty sure the previous owner didn't have much knowledge with engine tuning, and pretty much just threw every kenne bell part on he could. I can't stand the kenne bell cai, it's hideous looking and it rubs up against the valve cover pretty badly. Decided I'm going to go with the next gen jlt ram air intake asap! I did pick up all the extar parts from the previous owner, and just sold the stock transmission. The clutch was so badly adjusted in the car when i got it! I just installed the steeda clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster and adjusted the clutch, and now she shifts so smooth a high rpm shifts! I think I'm going to run it with this set up for awhile until I sort out a few other things that I want to do to the car, but probably by next summer I will be raising the boost according to what you guys have said! Thanks again!

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Well that's good to hear! Sounds like I need to get a set of 60 lb. injectors, sct maf, a smaller pulley and another tune here in the future. What size pulley would I need to run around 18 psi? Thanks for all the info guys!

The 3.5 will give 18 psi
The 3.25 will give 20 with stock lowers

cobra-k

Established Member
I run a 2.6 Kb on a stroked livernois 298 block. Full return fuel system twin 255s 2400maf long tubes and all the rest of supporting goodies. Right now it's running a 3.5 upper stock lower and made 540/525 on 94 at 15psi. I had the Kb spinning with a 3.0 upper last year and made 18 psi and 580whp conservatively. Can't wait to up the boost on the new block.

Users who are viewing this thread