Keep the Whipple or get a Kenne Bell?

4.0LCobra

Established Member
Okay I'm debating whether or not I should keep this massive 4.0 Whipple or trade it or sell it and get a 2.8 Kenne Bell Mammoth Liquid Cooled. My issue is with the Whipple at 27lbs of boost and 21* timing it made 776 HP and 679TQ. We then let the car cool off for 3 hours and then put ice in resivoir bumped the timing to 23* and it picked up only 7 more HP. I called Whipple and they did not have an answer other than with my setup it should be making in the 850-860 range. When I contacted KB they agreeed with me and said that these numbers are pathetic on a 4 liter twin screw with the crusher inlet. Even if my car makes a little over 800 when its cooler, it seems really low for that size blower. KB says that the 2.8 Mammoth LC made 774RWHP on a completly stock cobra with a BAP and 28 lbs. What would ya"ll do?

4.0LCobra

Established Member
My car has stock block 8:5:1, Stock ported heads, Stock cams, Ross Racing pistons, Kooks LTs, Kooks 3 in off rd x, Bassani CB,Divison X fuel rail, 80lb injectors, Twin 340 stryker pumps, 4.0l whipple with stock 3.50 upper and stock lower.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
I dont think you issue is the blower. The whipple is making the boost but your engine dosent seem to be using it to its full potential. Ever think about different cams?

4.0LCobra

Established Member
the motor is fine no issues with it. I have been wanting to put cams just dont know which ones. Stage 4 race grind maybe?

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Call around and ask some reputable builders and tuners to see what they recommend for your setup. They will have the most experience with different cams/setups.

gabe1530

Banned
i dont think the issue is your whipple.
you need some cams to compliment that engine. i would get some custom cams spec'd exactly for your setup. off the shelf grinds are outdated.
a killer chiller will help cool your intercooler fluid as well. i would get the drag race version as you can turn it on without using your AC.

yes, your setup isnt making 850 or however much it needs to make you content right now... but it will with the proper setup. i remember you mentioning that you were short on funds to upgrade your fuel system. personally, i would save up and make the switch to e85.
e85, KC and custom cams will make the world of a difference in your setup.

also take into mind that KB is trying to sell you on one of their blowers. whipple is their direct competition so of course they are going claim that one of their 2.8's will perform better.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
I dont think you issue is the blower. The whipple is making the boost but your engine dosent seem to be using it to its full potential. Ever think about different cams?

I agree with this statement. If its not broken dont fix it. Need to figure out how to make the best with what you got. Cause if you swap blowers then you'll probably have the same underlining issue

4.0LCobra

Established Member
can the 2.8 mammoth hit 800RWHP? The shop my car was worked on like to use c16 because they can get more aggressive with it. I have heard some horror stories about e85 but who knows.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
can the 2.8 mammoth hit 800RWHP? The shop my car was worked on like to use c16 because they can get more aggressive with it. I have heard some horror stories about e85 but who knows.

No offense to whoever is tuning your car...but the bottom line is, they're not as good as Kevin Dunn (04sleeper). Send Kevin a message, do you what he recommends to set up E85, contract with him to go to Houston (he travels there quite often) and you will get what you are after. E85 is the answer for your fuel source and he's the answer for your tune. Keep your blower

good luck :beer:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
No offense to whoever is tuning your car...but the bottom line is, they're not as good as Kevin Dunn (04sleeper). Send Kevin a message, do you what he recommends to set up E85, contract with him to go to Houston (he travels there quite often) and you will get what you are after. E85 is the answer for your fuel source and he's the answer for your tune. Keep your blower

good luck :beer:

This

cobracide

Established Member
Agreed.. Your issue is not that you have a Whipple. Of course KB will say that its the whipple, because they want to sell you something else. Look elsewhere for your missing hp.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
E85, custom cams and a 04sleeper tune will do the trick! As for iat2 temps a killer chiller will help also e85 burns cooler too

Users who are viewing this thread