Keep the spray or go tvs?

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I thinking about going with a tvs and ditching the nitrous on my car. I have currently ran a best of 10.60 and 133mph with the factory eaton and a 10.15 with a 100 shot. I honestly feel like the car will go 10.5x this spring with the factory eaton and dip into the nines with the 100 shot. The eaton is home ported and the inlet and tb are home ported. I have a 10% lower, 2.59 upper, dynatech longtubes, off road h pipe and magnaflow street catback. It dynoed 600/620 with these mods and 700/760 with the 100 shot.

If I go tvs I will prob make around 675/675 with my mods and adding just the tvs. No bottles to fill and bottle heater to deal with. Im sure with this setup I could run low 10s and prob get a 9 second pass out of it.

So what should I do? Keep my current set up and go for a 10.5x or better and 9s on nitrous? Or should I Go tvs and look for 9s with it? I want to get a 9 second pass out of the car this spring.

white88lx

Established Member
Think i'm going to follow the pattern and say go TVS and keep nitrous as well. I know it wasnt an option...but oh well

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Get a 2.9 whipple and call it a day. The 2.9 whipple with a 10% underdrive pulley would be sick..........you already have the driver mod down pack. Nitrous eventually gets tough on motors and the whipple does wonders on these cars. Whatever you decide good luck and thanks for the fast times posted in your 2011 Shelby!!:beer:

BigDan

Established Member
This
5708326752_4ea44d7d3d.jpg

or this
nyias-2011-shelby-gt500-super-snake-live-photos-medium_4.jpg

bossnova3

Established Member
I currently have the tvs and a 75 shot. Honestly if you're at 10.1 with a 100 shot just up it to 125 with a tune and you should be in the 9's. I'll let you know...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
If your ultimate goal is to go 9's once and then just enjoy going mid 10's, get the TVS and hold onto the nitrous for a little while. If your ultimate goal is to go 9's and never look back, get a whipple and do just that. Nitrous is a PIA if you ask me and even though I've had it on many of my cars in the past, I don't think I'd be interested in going that route after having a Whipple equipped car. As specially since I've never been able to commit myself or my cars to being 9 second cars. Once I went 10's in my 03 I knind of "got it out of my system" and then rarely ever took the car to the track after that anyway. Going 9's or even low 10's consistently is a big commitment. You put yourself in a situation where you have to decide whether your going to commit to the safety requirements and whether its worth the effort for the time your going to spend on the track.
I've never had the luxury of being a "real racer" with my schedule and financial situation and spending weekends at the track competing is a SERIOUS financial (among other things) commitment. My cars have always been for my own pleasure and for the most part weekend and nice weather street cars. That being said, it never made sense to me to commit to building a car to going low 10's or 9's consistently since the safety requirements meant that the car would no longer be convenient or thoroughly enjoyable to drive on the street. Now if you plan on getting the car to go 9's simply so you can say you did it, then you'll be happy with a mid 10 second street car; get the TVS throw the nitrous on it for a couple runs, get your 9 second time slip and then sell the nitrous and just enjoy the 600+ RWHP street car you have.
If your the kind of person that will never be happy going any slower than your fastest time slip dictates, a Whipple or KB is the way to go, but understand that your getting yourself into a completely different realm of drivability. There are plenty of people out there that drive their cars on the street with cages, harnesses and the other required safety equipment, but that's never been for me and your the only one that can decide if its for you. I don't see the point in going half ass with anything though so I've always been of the mind set that if your gonna do it, do it right.
Either way, your going to end up with a car thats more poreful than you'll even need and clearly the most powerful car you'll normally come up against both on the track on Friday night grudge night and on the street.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm a whipple fan. If your looking for the best track numbers the lower pulley is the way to go. On the street the stock lower pulley works best. The few cars that are around here with the lower pulleys pulled them off and went back to stock. Tires just couldn't hold the TQ the whipple was generating so quickly down low. Real close to 9s but not will to add all the safety equipment needed.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I find it hard to believe that nobody has gone 9's with an Eaton.... With all the different ports and pulley combos and drive reconfigs... Nobody has gone 9's with an Eaton and Nitrous in 6 years of trying with a GT500???

rdsnk46

Established Member
I find it hard to believe that nobody has gone 9's with an Eaton.... With all the different ports and pulley combos and drive reconfigs... Nobody has gone 9's with an Eaton and Nitrous in 6 years of trying with a GT500???

Evo did it in 2008 with an auto swap stock motor GT500. Pullied and spray

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Evo did it in 2008 with an auto swap stock motor GT500. Pullied and spray

Yeah I thought I remembered that. I'm sure there are a handful of others that have done it too. It's amazing what some of these guys have been able to squeaze out of the Eaton.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Im not interested in going whipple or kb. I want to run a smaller blower. I like the crazy tq you can get out of a tvs. It matches the 5.4 nicely. Im still not sure between the 2 options. I like the idea of running a nine second pass with the factory eaton and spray. I also feel like it has more in it on just the eaton. But a tvs would take away the bottle changes, checkin the heater and everything else.

If I keep the nitrous Im going to add a stand alone system. This will take some pressure of the stock fuel pumps and allow for 100% race gas at the fuel noid. I have priced out what I would need and I would be looking at $1600 for the stand alone fuel system, 2 new noids, and a tune. With the tvs I would run vmp kit and add his bap. That would be $5000.

I guess I can always add a tvs later on if I want and just run the nitrous setup with the stand alone fuel system. Car should run high nines on the gas and mid 10s on the eaton. Add the tvs later on and MAYBE keep the gas and go for mid nines or better if it will hold together. hahaha.

We will see I guess. Anyone have any other advice besides go whipple or kb? I just dont want to go that route.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I've been running a ported VMP TVS since last season and it works as advertised for sure. I was a nitrous fiend before I put the KB on my pushrod 5.0L and I can only imagine what a GT500 with a whiff of nitrous is like. Hard to call it either way, both seem like good choices to me.

What did take me out of the Nitrous game was the refills, not accounting for the initial $1000 for the setup, I was paying $6.00/lb back in 2007, but since then the price has increased dramatically to $10.00/lb. Not sure what the pricing is like in your area. I could use an entire bottle in one evening at the strip or being a hooligan on the street so $200 per weekend nearly all summer long made me look to blowers and the on-demand power they offer.

:shrug:

No wrong answer, but my TVS hasn't disappointed me and I remember spray is like hitting a car with a baseball bat, good times...

BigDan

Established Member
If I keep the nitrous Im going to add a stand alone system. This will take some pressure of the stock fuel pumps and allow for 100% race gas at the fuel noid. I have priced out what I would need and I would be looking at $1600 for the stand alone fuel system, 2 new noids, and a tune.

Have you looked into the SAFE system from NX?

[youtube_browser]zIU8fwvdMP4[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread