KDW II on 18" AFS replicas (pics)

Vae_Victus

Established Member
Hey fellas,

Well after a very long time saving up I finally got the wheel/tire combo I've craved for so long. Tires are 275/35/18 (front) and 335/30/18 (rear) KDW 2 (aka KDW NT). Wheels are very familiar I'm sure AFS 18" cobra replicas. I've got some before and after shots for comparisons for anyone interested in this setup or anyone basically wanting to see the visual difference between 17's and 18's.

My first impressions:

HOLY HELL THOSE ARE BEEFY TIRES. Even the guys at the shop that installed them were amazed how big they were. Personally the KDW 2's have the best looking tread pattern. For some reason they look like snake scales to me (my friends laugh everytime i say that lol).
On to the wheels...well what can be said about the AFS 18's? They are still the best looking rims for our cars (perhaps only 2nd to the CCW's which are the baddest rims on the planet but i am on a tight budget so AFS it is lol). I am totally IN LOVE with this combo and I couldnt be any happier. Now on to the good stuff.

Performance:

YES YES YES I know they aren't DR's but for street tires (which is what i was looking to get) they are F-ing SWEET! For my power level I have very good traction in first with some spin...2nd gear is virtually no spin (depends on weather and road conditions of course). When i tested the tires the weather was gorgeous, sunny, and 25+ celcius. Finally i can put the power down to the ground. I have experienced ZERO road noise from these tires. A lot of ppl complained about this issue but I (thank God) have not. The ride quality is very nice. Actually they are much smoother than the Fuzions which shouldn't be hard to imagine considering the Fuzions are much harder compound tires. So to sum it all up...performance is GREAT with these tires.

Look:

OUTSTANDING! There's nothing more I can say about that.

Suspension:

Like it says in my sig...I cut the stock springs 1 full coil. Before when i had the stockers on the rear was sitting a bit too low so I knew i had to raise the rear a little. The solution? MM isolators. Best $$$ ever spent. They did exactly what they are supposed to do...raised the rear by about .5" which is more than enough clearance for me. Plus i finally have that raked look i wanted.

What you need to do for these tires to fit:

Definately roll the fenders. I know some get away without it but unless u are riding on stock 4x4 height I highly recommend rolling the fenders. I had a shop roll them for me. Cost me $160 for both and took him about 2 hrs to complete. I also installed the MM low profile IRS bolt (this is a given). U could simply shave off the IRS like some have, i opted for the MM's instead. Both remedies will clear any possible inner tire rub. If ur running really low to the ground then I suggest u do what i did and get urself a set of MM isolators JUST IN CASE. I installed both upper and lower isos and achieved about half an inch height increase. u can simply add lower or upper only and receive about a quarter of an inch. Really all depends on ur suspension and what ur looking to achieve.

Finally the pics. Sorry for the crappy pic quality i dont have a badass SLR or anything like that...a simple Canon point and shoot.

Any feedback, comments or criticism is more than welcome. Thanks for reading.

Vae Victus

003jsb.jpg

033zn.jpg

030oaz.jpg

018gm.jpg

027vp.jpg

016ag.jpg

010cvz.jpg

008yv.jpg

And the 17's for comparison

img0443o.jpg

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
That looks hot bro..I love that tire tread and will upgrade to some 18's one day. How do the tires hold at your power level?

BigRedShaolin

Established Member
Imo

Yo Bro your set up is soooo freakin HOT!:bowdown: its a DAMN shame lol the tires are the same ones i plan on gettin and i agree they do look like snake scales nice theme for all cobras... good luck wit em:rockon:

Vae_Victus

Established Member
That looks hot bro..I love that tire tread and will upgrade to some 18's one day. How do the tires hold at your power level?

thanks brutha, seeing how our power levels are very similar u will not be disappointed. Grip is very good for a street tire and I have no issues punching it in any gear. I experienced wheel spin in 1st gear but with nearly 500 rwtq it's almost impossible to avoid without drag radials. 2nd gear is almost 100% grip. I love these tires. And best of luck on the 18's. Remember u can always sell ur current tire/wheel setup to offset the cost. With me, after selling my old setup I only paid just over $1500. Keep in mind I live in Canada so we get rocked on taxes and duties.

Yo Bro your set up is soooo freakin HOT!:bowdown: its a DAMN shame lol the tires are the same ones i plan on gettin and i agree they do look like snake scales nice theme for all cobras... good luck wit em:rockon:

lol glad someone agrees with me about the snake scales. :beer:
u should definately get these tires if ur budget permits. I get compliments all day long and I've only taken her out twice. Lol

did you use a spacer for the rears?

Yes I did use spacers and they were definately needed. Sorry I seem to have forgotten to include that in my original post. The spacers I used were 3/8 inch from Lethal Performance.

I also like the way you did your exhaust tips with the slight angle.

Thanks bro, actually I didn't really do anything. It's just how it installed. :shrug: But I do like them as well. Different than a straight look.

Hope I answered all ur q's. And thanks for all the compliments.

Vae Victus

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Mother of God...You did well. Glad you mentioned running spacers b/c if you didn't I would be shocked!

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Lookin' great there Ali. Not a fan of cut springs....maybe H&R's would get you the stance you want, but the car sits tight.

Now get out there and giv'er.

Vae_Victus

Established Member
Those tires look like they would just eat the road...

lol they certainly do the job.

Mother of God...You did well. Glad you mentioned running spacers b/c if you didn't I would be shocked!

definately. Spacers are a MUST.

love the wide meats...

Don't we all. :rockon:

Looks sick.

thank you.
Cant wait for my Chrome reps to get here!!!

:rockon:

Man u will not believe how night and day of a difference that one inch makes. These cars were built for an 18" setup. You will love them. Make sure to post up pics for all of us to see. Good luck.

Lookin' great there Ali. Not a fan of cut springs....maybe H&R's would get you the stance you want, but the car sits tight.

Now get out there and giv'er.

lol. Thanks Corey. I really can't wait for tracking season. Should be interesting. As for the h&r's, my stockers ride perfectly. I figure I'd save a few hundred bucks and still get the look I need.

cheese5.0

Cheese...?
Established Member
love the look dude! looks dead sexy... probably one of my favorite wheel/tire/color combinations :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread