KB SC owners please

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
I am getting ready to shed my eaton and get on the KB wagon. I have been searching thead and there are so many due to the overwhelming interest in them before they even hit the market for the 03's it would take me a small part of a lifetime to get the info I need. Please only respond if you actually have one on your 03 cobra. I will try to list my questions in order so when you respond you can answer according to that specific question. Thanx for your help

1. What is required for a full installation. Meaning what kit do I get from KB so I have a completed project?

2. Do they offer the SC in chrome finish?

3. Cost?

4.Time for a typical installation and tune.

5. Known issues or problems? Tips things to know ahead of time so I get the most bang for my buck.

Thats all for now I'm sure this will get some dialog going.

coleman

Established Member
i'll tell you what i did.

1. KB, chip, & BAP
2. yes, ~$400 more
3. ~$4000 for kit w/ 1 pulley, chip, & BAP
4. 6-8 hours w/ above
5. you'll need an aftermarket clutch to handle the power...

if you have an awesome tuner available to you, buy the 55# injectors & save ~$400 from KB w/o chip & no BAP.

don't buy their pulley tool -- joke

still learning myself... i think we all are.

YMMV

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
1. KB Kit 9# w/o chip & BAP, the kit comes with basically everything you need to install the blower including locktite, hoses, gaskets, thermostat. You will require a chip or predator and tune to run higher boost.
2. It doesn't come chrome, but it does come polished for ~$400 more
3. I paid 3420 for the kit with 9# pulley and 350 for the Accufab TB delivered.
4. Typicial install is 6-8 hours, the tune will depend on your tuner
5. The only known problem is when pushing more then 17# the supercharger sprays oil out of the fill plugs. There are two fixes I know of one is made they HBH which is like $400 and is a reserve solution. The other is a DIY which costs like $20 in parts, but will require filling of supercharger every couple days.

I did 9# so I can run the car until the Predator comes out and then put on my non-slip 17# pulley at that time.

I have also added fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge, metco driveshaft loop, metco idler, water wetter, denso IT-22 plugs, and a non-slip 17#pulley to complete my installation.

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
oh yes, order KB w/ big-oval (aka single-blade TB) plenum whether you buy the KB/accufab or BilletFlow...

regarding toofast4u's comments about oil spary ... i think you are greatly exagerating (sp?) just how much oil the KB sprays. either that or I need to go check mine right now...

i do agree that HBH's solution though expensive is the best one out there right now. i just don't like paying $$$ for something that i can put together myself -- two tubes & a cylinder ... correct me if i'm wrong.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
anyone have pics of hbh's oil fix? I plan on running 13lbs on the street and 17 at the track. I'm gonna get the polished unit and oil is the last fricken thing I want on my polished blower.

400 for hbh's oil fix is stupid. What is the fix? A bunch of hoses redirecting the oil?

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
anyone have pics of hbh's oil fix? I plan on running 13lbs on the street and 17 at the track. I'm gonna get the polished unit and oil is the last fricken thing I want on my polished blower.

400 for hbh's oil fix is stupid. What is the fix? A bunch of hoses redirecting the oil?

Here is racerat's the HBH fix is the braided hoses and canister on the side.
kb6.jpg

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
where does the 400 come into play? 10 dollars for the hose and 10 dollars for the can (I can't see it very good on that pic). Where is the other 380? shipping?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Supply and demand Bassin247. Case in point: I paid $350 for a PHP airbox, that is now selling for ~$125. I got mine when they were hot on the market, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. It doesn't bother me a bit.

They will come down in price too...I'm sure we will begin to see a few of these kits up on the infamous eBay in a few months (with this fix in place!) for way cheaper than new.

bborder

Established Member
If the oil spray problem is an inherent problem with the KB; why isn't KB providing the solution free of charge with their product??? Anyone brought this to their attention? I'm curious what their response was.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by bborder
If the oil spray problem is an inherent problem with the KB; why isn't KB providing the solution free of charge with their product??? Anyone brought this to their attention? I'm curious what their response was.

It is only a problem with high boost situations 17+#. They do have a free solution if you call and ask for it I don't know exactly how it works, but it is not suppose to be an optimum solution.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
regarding toofast4u's comments about oil spary ... i think you are greatly exagerating (sp?) just how much oil the KB sprays. either that or I need to go check mine right now...

i do agree that HBH's solution though expensive is the best one out there right now. i just don't like paying $$$ for something that i can put together myself -- two tubes & a cylinder ... correct me if i'm wrong.

I am not trying to exaggerate the issue, but it does make a mess. The only thing I said was it has to be refilled and checked every couple days. I am not going to do HBH unless the price comes down massively.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
The kit is not $400. It's $329 I believe.

There are two versions the steel is 329+S&H and the aluminum is 400+S&H the only difference is the material.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
There are two versions the steel is 329+S&H and the aluminum is 400+S&H the only difference is the material.
That explains it...I did not know there were two versions. I have the cheapy version. :thumbsup:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Well, my comments are as follows. An aftermarket clutch is not needed and if it is done your more likely going to break an input shaft or half shafts since the clutch will no longer be the weakest link...especially if you use drag radials.

At 9psi I notices a little oil seeping from the snout of the blower. After 4 dyno pulls at 17psi I had oil all over the engine as well as the quarters. I had Hermans oil baffle but not installed at the time, its on now and not a drop of oil anywhere. Its a bit expensive as stated above, but it works and it works well.

As for problems, I had 2 bolts on the large plate the KB bolts to would hit the lower intake manifold, should have dry fit it first but didnt, it had to be pulled and a little metal removed. Aside from that everything went as planned. Keep in mind if you are going to have more than one pulley you may want to order the pulley removal tool, which in essence is nothing more than a flat bar with 2 pins through it to hold the pulley and a hole in the center to put an alan wrench through. Could easily make one, but you will need it to swap pulleys.

The biggest headache I ran into was getting a tune, but noe Diablo has a very good handle on the situation and they have a great tune for the KB with stock INJ/MAF and TB tuned for the florida elevation. That tune was a tad lean on my car with the big oval TB but with every tune they will have more to make available.

Only thing I have noticed as far as drivability is that the cruise control doesnt hold a nice steady speed, it surges a lot.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
do you actually think this is a empty tube?

Ok, so you guys know......this is a multi-level oil tank that has separators and diverters welded in it to separated the oil from the air....it takes many hours to fabricate one and i built 20 different versions until i found something that finally worked ALL of the time.......not a band - aid fix.....you think it's so easy? build one and find out........every time someone works their asses off to fix a problem that exists there is always someone bitching about this or that.......if it's too much for you , fine.....vent the oil into your fender and clean it up later.......this is a fix that makes sure you don't explode that expensive blower due to no oil being in the case.....the choice is yours........do what you want...but i want to protect my investment.......and just so you know......we are in the process of obtaining a patent on this"simple" idea.......lol!!!! funny how nobody has a solution if it's that easy.. and thanks to all the people that have bought one and no longer have any problems.....hermann:beer:

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
i've got a few ideas myself ... simplest of which is a reservoir that catches the oil so we can just pour if right back in. that's a simple start.
yeah, that's where i'll start.

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Hey Herman; your oil recovery set up is sweet and solve my problem with the oil splash ,$320 is not very much for a well made product. Goo job

Lomancobra

Established Member
Just got my KB setup with the oil seporator tank. Worth every penny. 17lbs of boost and no problems. Yeah its really bullshit to have this $5000 S/C act up on you. But I think Herman is not the one to flame here. He came up with a great idea and made a great piece to accompany the KB. The way I see it, if your going to pay upwards of 5-6 K to put a blower on your car then why nickle and dime the shit? The last thing I need is the blower shooting out all its oil and seizing up. Not to mention the mess it could create. Coleman if your going to actually configure an oil collector by yourself and dump the oil back in everyday then god bless you. But I dont have the skills to create something like that or the time to maintain it. I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks to have my peace of mind. Maybe its different for some of you other guys, but my car is a daily driver and I just want to be able to drive it, have fun, park it, and not have to worry about it. Two thumbs up for the Oil Separator in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread