KB Pulley bolt broke while cruising yesterday and cant find it.

03_Cobra_Built

Established Member
Hey all, just bought my Cobra Saturday and it was great all day and even Sunday morning, but while i was just cruising, i went to pass someone and my supercharger pulley bolt broke and the pulley flew off of my ported 2.2L under the car. I went back to find it, and it must have been in the tall weeds, b/c it was nowhere to be found. Brought the car home, called KB today and talked to them. I asked the previous owner was size it was, and he thought it was a 3", so thats what i wanted to order. KB only had a 3.25" and the new bolt, but now im not sure if the belt will fit. Any advice on what i should do or order would be great. Thank you in advance and i look forward to learning alot in these forums b/c my car needs some tweaking to be just right.

TJ

mistergee

NEW SVT 0WNER
Established Member
thats sucks about the pulley, i changed out my 2.8 pulley for a 2.75 and didn't need a new belt. maybe you wont need one either. best of luck to ya.
post some pics up of the cobra.

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
You're lucky... I can't get mine to break loose... Same pulley from the factory on it. I hooked a 1" drive impact to it and it still wont break loose. I'm not looking forward to drilling it out.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Had this happen to me when i first got my car. You need to get a new bolt from KB if you cant find it, along with the spacer thats behind it and their pulley puller which allows you to remove/install it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/801085-need-help-putting-my-pulley.html

Also if you dont get the same size pulley your boost is going to change so youll need the correct length belt and maybe even a tune..... See if the old owner can go through his emails looking for a receipt for when he bought it. I'd also go back to where it pooped off with a few friends looking somemore if possible.

Last edited:

03_Cobra_Built

Established Member
Ya, im just ready to get it back together, but i guess i will have to call and order a bushing that goes behind it. I'm guessing it's the seal you are talking about? I have a picture but not sure how to post it yet. I have the new bolt on order as well as a 3 in pulley b/c the previous owner said he thought that was the one that it was on there, but he only had the car 9 months and did no mods really, it was already fully built that way when he got it. Plus, KB told me they didnt have a 3" just a 3 1/4 in so thats what i had sent. Ya, we are gonna go out there and search through the grass tomorrow. Oh, and also, i already have the KB wrench, it came with the car.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
KB may not make it but it could have been a different size pulley by billet flow or someone like that. When I ordered my new 2.700 pulley KB told me they didnt make it so i bought a billet flow to replace my Reichard racing pulley I used to have a pic of the spacer/seal that goes behind the pulley but it looks like I dont anymore. KB will know what it is. you also need the tool to install there pulley. aka a pulley puller. It's different for eatons or whipples and you can't torque it without it.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
KB may not make it but it could have been a different size pulley by billet flow or someone like that. When I ordered my new 2.700 pulley KB told me they didnt make it so i bought a billet flow to replace my Reichard racing pulley I used to have a pic of the spacer/seal that goes behind the pulley but it looks like I dont anymore. KB will know what it is. you also need the tool to install there pulley. aka a pulley puller. It's different for eatons or whipples and you can't torque it without it.

Billetflow pullies destroy belts on Kenne bells and sometimes the blowers. That is why KB does not warranty blowers with with Billetflow pullies on them.

dougwg

Established Member
Billetflow pullies destroy belts on Kenne bells and sometimes the blowers. That is why KB does not warranty blowers with with Billetflow pullies on them.
Not True.

KB advises against using solid aluminum pulleys.

The reason for this is the mounting surface- aluminum is just too soft.

We use a 2 piece design with an aluminum pulley ring and a 4140 pre-hardened chromoly STEEL hub to interface with the KB mount.

At one time BilletFlow pulleys were the ONLY aftermarket pulley "blessed" by KB.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Not True.

KB advises against using solid aluminum pulleys.

The reason for this is the mounting surface- aluminum is just too soft.

We use a 2 piece design with an aluminum pulley ring and a 4140 pre-hardened chromoly STEEL hub to interface with the KB mount.

At one time BilletFlow pulleys were the ONLY aftermarket pulley "blessed" by KB.

Truth!:rockon::beer:

It is all aluminum pulleys that are a problem on KBs.

Users who are viewing this thread