KB or Turbo?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Originally posted by juiced96snake
If you have the money a turbo is the way to go IMO. IT's free hp where as a blower takes hp to make hp. With a turbo you can change the boost level from inside the car with a boost controller no need to swap pullies. If you do go turbo make sure to get an intercooler.

while a turbo is more efficient than a supercharger, it's NOT "free" hp.. if it was, it would be a direct violation of the laws of physics, specifically entropy.. a turbo by being spun from the exhaust gasses of your engine, is a HUGE restriction in the exhaust, blocking that exhaust from leaving the engine, compared to a free flowing exhaust...

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
If you've got the cash, t/c the mother trucker! The only thing I'd be worried about is a crazy peaking powerband... Can they tune t/c cars for flat torque? Does anyone have dyno graphs of decently tuned t/c stangs?

TurboPowered

Established Member
DYNO SHEETS

Here's a sheet on a bone stock 97 Cobra 4.6 4V with HP twin kit:

Cobra%20Dyno%20Sheet%201.jpg

You can see the car and more info here:

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/1997 Mustang Cobra - Chuck Gully.htm

Here's a sheet on a 94 GT, bone stock with HP 60mm single kit:

Page%20Dyno%20HP%20Corrected.jpg

You can see the car and more info here:

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/1994 Mustang GT - Nathan Page.htm

Last edited:

chknhwk

It is WELL documented that the Cobra engines only hold up to ~ 450rwhp. How is this 'bone stock' Cobra almost 100whp over that?

TurboPowered

Established Member
They've got good tunes on them and have had several thousand miles without problems so far.

chknhwk

Originally posted by hwkrcng
It is WELL documented that the Cobra engines only hold up to ~ 450rwhp. How is this 'bone stock' Cobra almost 100whp over that?

Hey, anybody want to provide some sort of response here? If I can safely get 500+rwhp in MY Cobra I want to know how. ;-)

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
could it be cause the turbo isnt running off the engine(using the engines power to drive it) so the engine takes less strain and you can generally run more boost safely (in the same aplication) with a turbo than an s/c

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member

That's with a supercharger. The load on the engine is much different with a turbo. It all comes down to the final compression ratio. With a turbo you can run that same boost that gets you 450 rwhp off a blower and get more hp because of the load being different but the compression ratio will be the same.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I asked b/c I've still seen turbo cobra/mach ones self destruct at ~500rwhp levels...

It's really all in the tune and how often you are pushing it. But eventually something is going to happen with stock components that is a guarantee.

chknhwk

That's what I'm trying to figure - where the limitations are or if I should just start with a forged bottom end and push the turbo install back another year...

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
That's what I'm trying to figure - where the limitations are or if I should just start with a forged bottom end and push the turbo install back another year...

Well if you have enough discipline not to thrash it on stock internals do the turbo first. If you know you wouldn't be able to resist then get the engine money first.

dalamar_96

Established Member
I've been looking into forced induction for a while.
I'm pretty convinced on the Turbo. Procharger and KB both have their appeal. I'm working towards getting the HP twin turbo kit.
All their tubing is hot jet coated, and the turbo's outside the engine compartment is sweet.

Boohya hit it when he said: "turbo's give you pretty much what both a roots and a centrifigual style supercharger give you with less parasitic lose. You'll have nice lowend torque(if you get the right sized turbo for your engine) and the same nice highend flowing capability that the centrifugal has."
Traction problems - get the external boost controller.
"it's NOT "free" hp.. if it was, it would be a direct violation of the laws of physics" LOL - true

chknhwk

Hope it's not too old but here's some direct comparison between a single kit and the stock '03 Cobra blower:
PTK dyno results for '03 Cobra.

I realize this isn't for the KB but maybe some people with experience on the KB can provide some input for this approximate mod level. :beer:

TurboPowered

Established Member

Here's a quote from an HP customer about his personal experience regarding a KB vs the turbo kit:

"I had a Kenne Bell Blowzilla pushing 12 pounds of boost before I ordered a kit from HP. There is no comparison; the HP turbo kit blew the Kenne Bell away and the turbo kit cost me less money to purchase than the Kenne Bell. For anyone looking to go fast, sound and look good at the same time, look no further than HP. I am a believer, I will never own another belt driven power adder. - Jonathan Haymore

There is no question that any type of forced induction (or nitrous) on a stock engine can lead to problems. After all, you are, in some cases, doubling (or more) the horsepower/torque that the engine was originally designed to handle. While there isn't as much history on the 4.6 engine as there is on the 5.0, it appears that there isn't much difference in the power they will handle. A "generally accepted" threashold is 475-500 rwhp, but that also depends a lot on the tuning and how the car is driven. If you have a bad tune (or no tune at all), you are just asking for trouble. If you thrash ANY car repeatedly every time you drive it, it isnt' going to tolerate it very long. If you use your head instead of your right foot, it will live longer. The problem is, when you have that much horsepower at your disposal, it is difficult not to use it every chance you get. Driving to the local 7-11 becomes a very different experience with forced induction. Also, a lot depends on what plans you have for your car. If you know that you are going to want to achieve much higher horsepower levels, its a good idea to plan on building an engine. With that in mind, the question becomes whether to go power adder now and run low boost until you build an engine, or build the engine now and install the power adder later. Building the engine now will give you the foundation for big power later, but doesn't necessarily result in any added power, so you don't get any gratification from the money you spend. However, putting on the turbo(s) now allows you to feel immediate results, and as long as you have the discipline to stay at safe boost levels, you shouldn't have any problems until you are ready to spend the money on your engine. There are a lot of stock block car owners out there running conservative boost and enjoying the additional power with no problems while they prepare to build up an engine. Others don't have any plans to ever build an engine; they enjoy the added power and are happy to stay at a level that won't cause problems. After all, having a 500 rwhp street car is pretty incredible and is more than enough for most people.....the majority of the turbocharged street cars out there today are stock-block cars. Bottom line, the choice is always up to the individual.....there is no right or wrong choice. Just determine what your goals are and go with whatever helps you get there.

Last edited:

BlackSheepSupra

Established Member
Turbo you might get more Hp but superchargers are more reliable in my opinion.Superchargers are also cheaper.

How are they more reliable!? Once you start making real power you have to deal with slipping and breaking belts. Turbochargers are more efficient and reliable, however... I'll admit, LAG SUCKS ASS!

Users who are viewing this thread