KB or Turbo?

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
Ahhh ok now I am debating on a KB with Inner cooler or a Single Turbo for my car. The car is a 2000 Mustang GT with a 2001 Cobra motor, SHM stroker, SHM stage 1 heads, SHM blower cams, 9.2:1 CR, Ported Intake, Lentech AODE strip terminator trans, 3200 rpm stall non lock up converter, manual VB and trans brake.
I drive car everyday and want to be in the 10's. Opinions on whjat to go with PLEASE

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
If you have the money a turbo is the way to go IMO. IT's free hp where as a blower takes hp to make hp. With a turbo you can change the boost level from inside the car with a boost controller no need to swap pullies. If you do go turbo make sure to get an intercooler.

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by ROUSHSTANG
Turbo you might get more Hp but superchargers are more reliable in my opinion.Superchargers are also cheaper.
The KB is like $6k in parts, I can get the turbo installed, K member and tune for $6k....

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
You like the whoosh or the whistle?? LOL. I am going to be in the same spot next spring or summer when I get my motor. I already got the tubular k member and all the suspension. Not to sure what either set up will run said and done with the fuel system and injectors.

But what I really like is the sound of the D1 procharger. That thing just whistling away just sounds badass. Plus the wife said the same thing and gotta have her approval, LOL.

xxsuprachargedx

Well why would do you want a KB...go procharger centrifical superchargers are cheaper and more Hp gains...and procharger comes with an intercooler.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Originally posted by WannaB Cobra
The KB is like $6k in parts, I can get the turbo installed, K member and tune for $6k....

where, what????:??:
I looked, i researched, i was in your boat with cash in hand one year ago and no luck, nothing even close to 6k unless they became cheaper and that was with my car being a 2nd run turbo car so they could re-write the instruction manual. This was with everything setup correctly all costs not even close:dw:

track car or daily driver?

talk to mikew1000, hes got a turbo setup and if im correct not extremely happy with it>?

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Originally posted by ROUSHSTANG
Well why would do you want a KB...go procharger centrifical superchargers are cheaper and more Hp gains...and procharger comes with an intercooler.

:??: kinda vaque? depending on application of course, but in a generalization a turbo generates much more hp and torque with much less effort and stress due to not robbing hp.

Mike

boostme

Established Member
Without a doubt I would go turbo. Turbo kits have come a long way and there are some really good kits out there. The only downfall to a turbo is the wait time on the production of one. I have one on my 02 GT and made 430 rwhp and 505 ftlb with just 8# of boost. Once I get my built shortblock and see 12#, I should be making close to 600 rwhp. Like someone stated earlier, if you have the money, go turbo.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
General rule of thump for parasitic lose for chargers.

For every 100 hp you make with a supercharger you usually lose 25 - 30 hp.

However, with a turbo it's usually a lose of 10 - 15 hp due to back pressure from the exhaust.

Now as to why you would want a roots style over a centrifugal style charger is personal preference. If you want a slam you back, ass clencher type ride go with a roots style supercharger. If you want to keep building momentum and have a more linear type of speed as you get more RPM's then go with a centrifugal. And as stated before, turbo's give you pretty much what both a roots and a centrifigual style supercharger give you with less parasitic lose. You'll have nice lowend torque(if you get the right sized turbo for your engine) and the same nice highend flowing capability that the centrifugal has.

Last edited:

BCH-SLP

Forged & Boosted 2V
Established Member
I am too interested in this thread. I'm guessing there aren't many guys out there with Turbo's on the Mod Mustangs?

BoostMe,

How do you like it over all with driving conditions and shit like that? Give me some feedback if possible.

Roque

boostme

Established Member
BoostMe,

How do you like it over all with driving conditions and shit like that? Give me some feedback if possible.

Roque [/B][/QUOTE]

It drives and handles really well. You wouldn't even know it was blown until you hit the gas. It really comes alive and pulls so hard it is unbelievable. I've owned a supercharged 98 and a n/a 96 cobra, the supercharger can't even compare to the turbo and I'm only runnin 8#. I figured that the real test would be the Texas summer and so far no problems at all with heat. I am in the process of saving for a built shortblock so as not to break anything. My goal is not really to go any faster,(yea right) just not to break anything. With stock gearing it spins all the way through 3rd gear.

What sold me on PTK is that they are here in San Antonio where I live. They had just finished up an 01 and I got to go for a ride in it. That's all that I needed. I visited their facilities a few more times and asked a lot of questions. I felt completely comfortable with them and just my luck they had a complete kit cept for the turbo itself available right then so I didn't have to wait for the kit to be built. The only downfall was an over tightened v-clamp that they replaced free of charge.

I hope this helps out some. I visit this board pretty often so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

jasil

Established Member
Go to Turbomustangs.com and research a little. HP performance has a nice twin system for 6199$+fuel, chip, boost controller, and misc for a extra 599$ and they will install it, dyno it, and tune it for 1199$.

We're at 8100$ plus tax, but you have a 800rwhp capable system and your done. I would upgrade to 60 trims though.

LSs1Power

Established Member
If u have a 9.2 C/R i would go with a D-1SC Procharger running 14-15psi. If u can lower the C/R to 8.0-8.5 then go with a turbo because u would be able to use the turbo potiential at higher psi levels such as 18-20psi on pump gas or ever higher boost levels on race gas. Good luck.

mikew1000

Established Member
Since my name was mentioned I will give my impressions of my Turbo. It is great when it is not in the shop. My experiences with the company who made my turbo has been horrible. The company is Turbolocity and I think they are out of business at this point. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I had a lot of problems with exhaust leaks and a real bad installation. Kit did not fit the car and the workmanship was worst than my 2 1/2 year old. I had to spend $7k to fix my car after Turbolocity screwed it up. Once I got it back things worked so much better than when I first picked the car up. Shortly after I spent the money to fix the car I blew up the motor. That was my fault because I was running it at 12psi with no custom tune. It is so easy to up the boost on a turbo car that you can get in trouble real fast.

Overall I have spent a small fortune on my car and not sure if I would do it again. I do like the turbo but the market for our cars is still new. I know that there have been several companies that have come and gone because of problems.

TurboPowered

Established Member
Here's a few pics of HP's twin turbo kit for just slightly more than $6K:

Gore%20Front%20without%20bumper%202.jpg

Cunningham%20Engine%201.jpg

Malpartida%20GT%20Build%202.jpg

You can see more photos here:

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/2003 Mustang Saleen - Jim Garrett.htm

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04 Mustang.htm

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/2000 Mustang GT - Hector Malpartida.htm

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/2001 Cobra - Robert Gore.htm

Last edited: