KB Guys

02RedLightning

Established Member
I have a couple of questions for the 03 guys running the KB blowers.

1. Who tuned your car? If you don't feel like posting please pm or email me.
2. How much boost are you running on what octane gasoline?
3. Did you do the install yourself and if so how was it? Any tricks that you learned along the way?

I am planning on ordering mine next week, but I still need to make myself feel better by asking a couple more questions! Lots of dough need to do it right the first time!

Thanks guys!

coleman

Established Member
1. KB-kit ... no custom tune
2. 14-16 on 93 octane
3. local shop did the work

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
coleman: Did you get that bad boy on the dyno yet?

I sent kb an email last night questioning them on how their chip is programmed and they said, "You do not need to do a switch chip according to what boost you want to run the chip can read the boost setting you have and adjust tables accordingly." Thats pretty odd. I told them in an email I was planning on running 11/13 on the street and 15/17 at the track. So I guess these KB chips don't need to be tuned. Atleast thats what I took from their email.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247

"You do not need to do a switch chip according to what boost you want to run the chip can read the boost setting you have and adjust tables accordingly." Thats pretty odd.

Yeah that is ODD. How is that possible? I will be running 16-17lbs all the time, and will definately have a custom tune. Should be seeing the blower any day now. Plan on install myself with a friend or two. Will post details of install to inform people of the install being done by non-mechanics. Thsi ought to be fun.......

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
According to Nitrous Pete he has cars running 21# on pump gas as long as it is 93 octane. If you have 91 octane the 17 is the highest he recommends going. I am not going to try 21# so I have a 19# pulley on order.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Within the next few weeks I think that I will be ordering the KB also. I will also be doing a complete exhaust system. JLP will be doing my tuning(as long as they want to :) ). HaHa. I want 600RWHP like you guys. I will be installing the KB myself. I am also gonna try the full exhaust install too. Headers don't look like fun though. :( Oh well. Please keep us updated. -Mat-

coleman

Established Member
coleman, family & work have kept me from dynoing over the past few days! ... but the family just left to go visit more family which leaves me all alone with only my snake to keep me company :thumbsup:

i'll try a few places today to get it dyno'd...

one way or another, i will dyno today!

doubleblack

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247

I sent kb an email last night questioning them on how their chip is programmed and they said, "You do not need to do a switch chip according to what boost you want to run the chip can read the boost setting you have and adjust tables accordingly." Thats pretty odd. I told them in an email I was planning on running 11/13 on the street and 15/17 at the track. So I guess these KB chips don't need to be tuned. Atleast thats what I took from their email.

Here's a PDF directly from their web page regarding chips, scroll down until you see the header '03 COBRA CHIP TECHNOLOGY...

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/Cobra_LightningTechTips.pdf

It seems the chip incorporates ideal fuel and ignition maps from zero to whatever boost you want, but you are limited to what octane rating you will be using. It basically says boost what ever you can boost w/ 91 octane (or whatever is offered in your area) w/ out detonating period. If you want more boost, then raise your octane rating.

That's the difference w/ a custom tune, you can actually manipulate your maps to avoid detonating. KB says, avoid detonation by means of octane when using their chip.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
Yeah that is ODD. How is that possible?
What is the difference between a chip running 9psi and one running 21psi? The 21psi chip will at some point make 9psi correct? And at that 9psi it will have proper A/F right? so what if you run the 21psi tune with only 9psi? Assuming the computer is still monitoring everything and applying proper fuel for incoming air ect everything should be fine. Where I go to dyno my car, they are mainly an import shop and do tuning as well. The cars they tune they just use one big table with covers all ranges of boost and that will work no matter what boost level they have their turbo's set at....as long as they dont go over the highest boost the table is mapped for.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
What is the difference between a chip running 9psi and one running 21psi? The 21psi chip will at some point make 9psi correct? And at that 9psi it will have proper A/F right? so what if you run the 21psi tune with only 9psi? Assuming the computer is still monitoring everything and applying proper fuel for incoming air ect everything should be fine. Where I go to dyno my car, they are mainly an import shop and do tuning as well. The cars they tune they just use one big table with covers all ranges of boost and that will work no matter what boost level they have their turbo's set at....as long as they dont go over the highest boost the table is mapped for.

That would imply all cars are the same, run the same, and tune the same. Regarless of setup or power adder (turbo/nitrous/Super). I don't buy it... :shrug:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by JSHTROD
That would imply all cars are the same, run the same, and tune the same. Regarless of setup or power adder (turbo/nitrous/Super). I don't buy it... :shrug:

No that means they are tuning for 21 psi and any pressure under that is going to run rich at various degrees.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
are most people using the bap? or the injectors, how much extra for injectors, would it be better to just go with that? also what are you people doing with the stock supercharger, is it possible to use on another year mustang? im not saying i'll be buying one right now but in the long run i think its just better to start saving for one instead of modding the crap out of the eaton

mm49

Established Member
JLP custom tune
20# boost with 94 Sunoco
JL did the install.

If you do the Kenne Bell also do the 55# Injectors and be done with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread