KB 2.6l dyno #s

2face

Established Member
ok I'm writing this now and I'm still in shock:eek:,not sure whats wrong with my COBRA :fm:!!! the shop just called to tell me that the car was run on the dyno an there was no issues went right to redline no hesitation..a/f ratio was 11.7 across pull !!! not sure what the timing is set at. he did say its real conservative tune....here is where i am confused the Car made 18lbs boost and the results were 500rwhp!!! 525rwtq !!! need help figuring what to do next i can make a list of all mods done to car.. i am at wits end not sure what now

2face

Established Member
mods are = CP pistons 17cc dish .20 over,stainless steel rings,stock crank ,stock rods,stock cams,stock heads,ford racing oil pump,jlt high boost intake/k&nfilter, sct3000 mass,metco 4lb lower,KB 2.6L with a 3.25 pulley (stock what came with blower),accufab big oval throttle body,siemen 60lb ejectors,fore fuel rails,bbk lt headers,bbk Xpipe with high flow cats,magnaflow cat back,fore hat with GT pumps,kb boosta pump, dfpdms with wire upgrade,1/2fuel line,kb boosta spark,centerforce dfx clutch

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What was the timing at? What type of dyno? What's the compression of the engine with -17CC?

greenflash00

Established Member
Do you have a dyno graph we can see? That's similar to what I made on my TVS on the first pull of the day on 19lbs....but it was because we were smoking the clutch with the tq :lol: You can see dips from clutch slip or belt slip in the graph if you have it.

That's WAY low though so something is up.

jwcobra03

Established Member
You're doing better than me. I have a 2.6 also and pulled for 18lbs. My car made 450hp today. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm having JMS do a compression and leak down test. Best of luck with your situation. Curious to hear your findings.

2face

Established Member
im not sure what the timing is at he did say its a real 'conservative tune'..i don't have a graph of the dyno pull yet reason being i dropped car off and they called me today with this info.. the cp pistons that i purchased .020 17cc dish there compression ratio 8.84:1 all 4 valves I'm not sure the compression of each cylinder. also not sure what type of dyno , the rollers are in the floor

2face

Established Member
here is whats got me stupified back in 2008 was the last time this car was dynoed at the same shop same dyno the car hit 15lbs boost and made 535rwhp 525rwtq... the same set up i have been running for years now...

2face

Established Member
earlier this year the motor spun a main bearing. so i sent the motor and heads to a machine shop for the following to be done the block bored .20,decked,line bored,clean tanked ,the crank was turned .10 and chamfered oil holes ,new arp rod bolts with new brass inserts for rods, had everything balanced ..the heads had multi angle valve job,new seals,pressure tested and milled flat..new set of lifters,using the stock roller rockers,rings were gapped to .22top ring /20 for 2nd ring ..so the only thing changed is the piston size to .20 over which is nothing really and crank turned i purchased the fel pro gasket kit for 03/04 cobra,using all king bearings,and total seal rings,arp head studs,

2face

Established Member
using arp studs for the crank shaft mains. i assembled the motor using the ford tool for tdc and cam alignment for timing chains installed all new guides an tensioners . findanza flywheel with new insert, the trans been upgraded to 26spline ,new pilot bearing,using tr6 plugs gapped at 35.. car has about 835 miles sense rebuild!!!! there is a snow meth/water kit installed but not hooked up... sorry for long posts just trying to give all info please any idea's are appreciated

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Find out what "conservative tune" means in real numbers. If there's 13 or 14 degrees timing it might answer your question.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I would start with a compression test and leakdown test, that will tell you the health of the engine (i know its a rebuild but anything is possible)

Can you post the graph?

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
Yea post up the graph when you get a chance and dez uses a dyno jet I use to go there

2face

Established Member
dyno jet ok thanks!!! yeah soon as i get car home ill run a compression test on all cylinders see were there at .. ill ask for the print out of the dyno run,an try an post it. I'm afraid to drive it with it hitting 18lbs even tho they said it was good a/f 11.7 just seems really low for what i seen an read up on these engines an cars...haha when he first said it put down 500 i said you mean 600? and there was silence he goes no i mean 500rwhp so at this point I'm like all f*#%@D up .. i said woa thats kind of low with that much boost? and yes he was surprised too.. so now what i got is the highest boosted cobra with lowest gains lol daauumn

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Check your cats haven't clogged and killing hp. I never dyno'd my car but I felt seat of the pants increase in HP once I removed my melted and shrunk cats. Not sure what happened to them, they looked shrunk and melted and where blocking air flow. What prompted me to look was datalogs on my car showed low load. Further inspection showed lower than normal MAF counts (I'm always datalogging and playing with the tune so it stood out to me as not normal). They must have deteriorated slowly over time as I never noticed but once removed it felt much better.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Check your cats haven't clogged and killing hp. I never dyno'd my car but I felt seat of the pants increase in HP once I removed my melted and shrunk cats. Not sure what happened to them, they looked shrunk and melted and where blocking air flow. What prompted me to look was datalogs on my car showed low load. Further inspection showed lower than normal MAF counts (I'm always datalogging and playing with the tune so it stood out to me as not normal). They must have deteriorated slowly over time as I never noticed but once removed it felt much better.

I agree as well. The datalog will also tell alot, MAF counts ETC. Dez should have been able to see this as well and give some suggestions based off his findings, should be very clear in the datalog. I am not going to go on an bash him at all, but if it were me my next time around getting the car tuned. I would explore other options in tuners......

2face

Established Member
the end of last year i installed the bbk xpipe high flow cats...toned the sound right down didn't feel any different,just sounded tighter.. now we did talk this am an he mentioned driving it around more to put milage on it remove the cats an install the #6 lower pulley and go for a retune !!! which makes no sense to make more boost than 18-19 on pump gas on a street driven cobra... they are going to call me when its ready for pick up after they get it inspected

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If pulling the cats fixes the issue but the sound is to much then just install some straight through resonators. It'll flow really well and cuts the noise down just like cats. It's what I did with a pair I got from Summit Racing. If you search I have a thread on here on how I did it. I made them slip fit on my bassani x without any welding to the bassani pipe so they could be swapped out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread