K&N Air Filter vs MPG

StangJason

Established Member
So I'm thinking today more air equals the need for more fuel, right? On the other hand I read where K&Ns increase fuel efficiency . So does a K&N realy improve mileage since the mass air or whatever sensor is reading more air and probably providing more fuel?

My only reasoning to think that it improves MPG is that the engine has to work a little less to make the same amount of power but if your foot stays in it the same it won't help and might just make it a lot worse especially in a turbo or super charger application where it will potentially increase air flow requiring more fuel.

Thoughts everyone?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A drop-in K&N with net you basically zero increase in power or mileage in most applications. You are basically correct about where any mileage or power increase would come from though.

StangJason

Established Member
A drop-in K&N with net you basically zero increase in power or mileage in most applications. You are basically correct about where any mileage or power increase would come from though.

Yeah I forget about the drop-ins I suppose I'm thinking more along the lines of the CAI setups which aren't always all that Cold considering they sit in the engine department a lot of times :shrug:

oldmodman

Established Member
If you go from a totally stock airbox to the K&N FIPK you will see around 18 more horsepower. And if driven out of boost may get 1 or 2 more mpg, but I can't recall anyone actually testing theirs.
After all, who mods for mileage.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the only way mileage increases is if power increases from the better flowing unit, and you have to use less throttle to get the same results with your driving style.

Users who are viewing this thread