K&N Air Filter - Remove Air Silencer?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I'll be getting my steeda CAI in a week or two but im gonna go to the track before then.

I have a K&N Drop in filter, and am wondering should I remove the air silencer? Will it make the blower louder? Any problems/concerns?

Even if it gives 1-2 ponies I would still do it, as long as it doesn't mess up the A/F or anything.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I think MM&FF did that test right when the 03's came out and found that pulling the silencer netted no gains at all... I can't find the issue but that's what I recall... Probably won't make too big a diff. IMO....

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Thx, anyone else have any input? Its only gonna be for a couple of weeks, so even if it only improves sound I'll still do it.

Any negatives? Will it mess up A/F?

jasonc32amg

Established Member
I yanked my silencer before I put my steesa cai and I could not tell a difference though the factory filter

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I have a drop in K+N with the silencer removed. Blower is noticeably louder. I gained 7 rwhp with the K+N drop in when I added it at the dyno.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I have a drop in K+N with the silencer removed. Blower is noticeably louder. I gained 7 rwhp with the K+N drop in when I added it at the dyno.

I pulled mine (Houston, Texas).....while it was still cool.... didn't really notice any difference, But the car is stock.(paper filter still)
A couple weeks ago it started to get Hot...... and there are LOTS of stop signs and traffic lights on the way...... ANYWHERE!
After sitting at a light for a while(heat soak) I began to notice the car had become quite "lazy" part throttle response was not crisp anymore......somewhat to be expected with high temps, but it wasn't really that hot.

Now I feel I should tell you that, unlike the old 5.0 silencers,.... the only thing "silencer" about this SNORKLE(a more accurate term)Is that it is now sucking air in the fender well, .........when it is on, ............and that alone is what does the quieting.......IMHO

Now the ID of this thing is quite LARGE........ with NO baffle, and NO resonator!
OK long story short..... I put it back on and now it really is starting to get hot and the car was back to normal.......no matter how long I sat in traffic....
Now I suppose If your modded.... you may see some drop in ET, Maybe even if your basicaly stock..... But you have to be moving....otherwise you are drawing some seriously HOT air....
If I had it to do over I never would have removed it.....PIA!
AND..... when I do get a "cold air intake"........It will be a fender draw design..... Like the Kenne Bell..... although I may make my own.
If you have to deal with traffic much at all(stops)........I would leave it on.
Jimmy
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sam

Established Member
what could be done for now is since your going to the steeda anyway,simply remove your stock air box along with the silencer. the hole in the airbox can be enlarged using a dremel with a round cutof wheel. you probably can remove most of that side facing the fender. most cai get most airflow from that side anyway. most of the airbox facing the engine would still be there as a heat sheild. at the track remove the headlight for cool airflow to the box.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
OR don't do a thing and wait so that when you take your car in for warranty work you have a stock box to switch back too...

qwicksnake

Established Member
I dynoed my car a couple of weeks ago on a Superflo and with just a K&N I had 342 rwhp. Then I took the silencer out and had 365 rwhp with a cool down. They did back to back pulls and the last pull was 355 rwhp. So yeah I think there was a noticable gain. But now I have a FIPK and the blower really screams.

Users who are viewing this thread