JustaGT5408 Turbo Build

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Hey guys, a few of you have been asking on some progress on the turbo build so I figured I would start a build thread to update as I go. I bought the car from Forcefedcobra back in May of 2013 and swore that I wouldn’t be doing much modding with this car but have failed on multiple levels with that one, haha. Before the past few months it was a 2.9 whipple car on E85 pushing about 23-24psi. When I started tearing the car down a few months ago it made 731/756 to the tires and had ran a 10.13 @ 139 with the IRS still in it at full weight, I unfortunately never got more than 3 passes at the 1/4 with the SRA setup but managed to match my previous PB of 10.13 but at 134mph (belt snapped up top). Back in August I had been fighting boost drop issues and figured out that my intercooler tube o-rings were the culprit and started pulling the blower to fix them and it snowballed into where it sits today.

Rundown on the new setup:
-8.5:1 Aluminator
-Borg Warner S478 turbo (87mm turbine, 1.10 AR)
-FTI level 4.5 TH400 with brake and RMVB
-Onboard air compressor for boost control
-Boost leash / pulse leash boost controller
-Custom hot side
-Custom cold side
-HPP upper
-Sullivan lower
-Accufab TB
-Modified Hellion intercooler

Here is what the car looked like the day after I had gotten it home!
A.jpg
B.jpg

Here is what the car looked like when the tear down began:
E.jpg
D.jpg
C.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear about your issues. The new build should bring back your smile. :thumbsup: What new numbers are you hoping for?

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Up to this point I have been working mostly on the interior since I was waiting for the intake to show up to get the cold side done.

Put in the Kirkey seats with 5pt harnesses (didnt want to ruin the stock seats with wear marks), got the B&M stealth pro mounted, trim templates done.
021.JPG

The Sullivan intake showed up on Friday so I was able to get the cold side mocked up before pulling the motor and tucking/shaving everything in the engine bay
011 (2).JPG
009 (2).JPG
010 (2).JPG

After the intercooler piping is 100% complete the engine will come out and work will begin on cleaning things up!

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your issues. The new build should bring back your smile. :thumbsup: What new numbers are you hoping for?

Thanks Bob, i had been wanting to do a turbo build for some time and figured it was a good time to pull the trigger! I'm not really sure what to expect number wise with the new setup, I would think 875-900 should be relatively easy to put down through the Th400 though!

Users who are viewing this thread