JUST INSTALLED STEEDA 'STOP THE HOP' here are the results

Bill Black

Hi Everybody,

I just installed the steeda stop the hop kit (vertical links, toe links, alignment spacers, subframe braces, subframe bushings) also I installed the steeda diff bushings (black ones) front and rear sway bars, k member brace, steeda camber plates, cj pony parts raked springs, and 25mm wheel spacers. All installed on a 2016 GT PP with 3k miles on jack stands.

The wheel hop is gone... The car hooks up really good now, and handling is much improved. The car has less body roll, and has much improved lateral grip. I'm very happy with the results in that department.

I just want to say that I've been a steeda customer for 10 years and I think they are an amazing company with great products and great staff. I had all four stages of their gtrac kit on my 2004 GT with great results.

But..... that said I have some issues this time around and here they are:

1st Issue: NVH (gear whine) coming from the dif. I did install the black bushing and not the softer red ones but steeda claimed in bold type on their website that both these bushings "adds ZERO increase in NVH". Then in the next paragraph they said: "Both bushing options will increase performance with no increase in NVH" - This unfortunately isn't true. Don't take my word for it just read the reviews on the same page on their website and multiple people are getting gear whine/nvh with the red or black bushings. Now how bad is the NVH? Its not terrible but its not good either. Its very noticeable...I think I might try the red softer bushings and see if it gets better.

2nd Issue: A lot of squeaking and creaking coming from the rear. These sounds are much more annoying than the gear whine stated above. I'm not sure what's causing this. Could be the diff bushings, or maybe the sway bar bushings? vertical links? Thoughts?? I greased the hell out of everything so I'm shocked it's squeaking this much. I hear it mostly at low parking lot speeds going over slightly uneven pavement. I did ask around and a couple people asked if I torqued everything to spec at "ride height". I did this install on jack stands and I torqued everything to spec except the diff bushings as my torque wrench didn't have clearance to do so, so I tighten them as tight as I could with 2 crescent wrenches linked together. Everything was torqued with the car on jack stands with no weight on the tires. Anybody know how I could have torqued everything at ride height without it being on a lift sitting on the tires? And if it was on the tires at ride height how would I do that? Put all the bolts in snug and drop the car's weight down on the tires and then torque them down?? That sounds sketchy at best to my novice mechanic mind....Thoughts anyone? I'm not a great mechanic but I got common sense (most of the time) and I managed to get everything on the car and drive it to the alignment shop where my top notch mechanic thought everything looked good. btw the spring isolaters are lined up correct.

3rd Issue: I have a quarter turn of play in my driveshaft. My mechanic pointed it out to me. He thought that it was weird but he's never worked on a S550 before. Is this normal?? Could this have been created when I lowered the subframe and diff to put in the diff bushings? I hear the dreaded S550 clunk/thud much louder now too. Maybe thats because with all the stiffer parts the sound is translating louder? Or maybe its because that quarter turn of play is not right and now its louder because of it?

Has anybody else done similar mods out there? Are you having the NVH and Squeaking, driveshaft play I'm having? did u fix it? If so how?

thank you all so much!
-Bill

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sounds awesome. Increased NVH is to be expected when changing out all those parts. That does seem like excessive play. I know neither of our S550s have nearly that much.

Jay-rod427

Established Member
Hey Bill,

I did the black bushings in mine too... Like you despite what the claims are I also get some gear whine, and more pronounced thud/clunk from the diff. I don't have any of the other stuff so I would say the creaking is not from the diff bushings, or subframe supports as I don't have anything like that.

FWIW I covered the entire trunk, and under the backseat with dynamat. It helped reduce some of the added noise, and will prob swap the black bushings for the red one of these days. Also I was planning on eventually dynamat the whole car as Ford didn't do any favors in road noise department, so it's not like I did it just because the extra noise. Windows down or radio up never notice a thing;)

Bill Black

Hey Bill,

I did the black bushings in mine too... Like you despite what the claims are I also get some gear whine, and more pronounced thud/clunk from the diff. I don't have any of the other stuff so I would say the creaking is not from the diff bushings, or subframe supports as I don't have anything like that.

FWIW I covered the entire trunk, and under the backseat with dynamat. It helped reduce some of the added noise, and will prob swap the black bushings for the red one of these days. Also I was planning on eventually dynamat the whole car as Ford didn't do any favors in road noise department, so it's not like I did it just because the extra noise. Windows down or radio up never notice a thing;)

yeah, I was thinking of dynamat too. Did you use the dynamat "extreme" or just the regular dynamat?

Jay-rod427

Established Member
yeah, I was thinking of dynamat too. Did you use the dynamat "extreme" or just the regular dynamat?

Extreme. Really helped some of the back end road noise. One of these days I will gut the interior and do the floor, door panels, and headliner.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Switch to the red bushings and lube them up with some good synthetic grease, should make a big difference!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Op i have a 16 gt/cs auto and I'm thinking that wheel hop isn't as much an issue with an auto. I just got the car days ago and i have yet to spin the wheels as I'm breaking the car in. Since my engine is stock should i wait till i get my s550 whipple before i purchase this product or get it now? I think the spherical rod end toe links in this kit transfer the most noise. if you still hear the gear whine try putting your stock ones back on see if it goes away.

BMR Tech

Gear whine is almost always, specifically, due to upgrading the differential mounts. You can pretty much do all other modifications, heck even a solid cradle bushing, and not have much gear whine increase if you leave the diff mounts stock.

And just an FYI, the OEM Toe Links have "bearings" already. So aftermarket Toe Links will not increase gear whine. ;)

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Op i talked to steeda today I'm going ahead with their adjustable pro action shocks and struts their progressive spings and the stop the hop kit!!! i will order everything next week, I want this baby hooked up before i get my whipple s550!

Users who are viewing this thread