Just installed new PLX Devices AFR WideBand sensor, pretty cool, so far

bigwave

Established Member
Just got the 03 cobra back together, did all my projects I've been putting off until it was -5 outside and nothing else to do at night, started on these projects right after Christmas.
Dropped rear cradle IRS, put new poly bushings in, what a pain-until you figure out the tricks, installed new reinforced Ford Racing 8.8 IRS rear differential girdle (cover), took off the old 2-1/4 flowmaster cat-back and installed a new Magnaflow 2.5 cat back (has bassani 2.5X and high flow cats already) Anyone want a Flowmaster Cat Back?
And Finally I installed a Wideband AFR sensor and gauge or kind of a gauge.
I installed the PLX Devices SM-AFR Air-Fuel setup. The kit included the Bosch LSU4.9 sensor, Controller box (really small) and a little wireless dongle. It then just syncs to my I-Phone automatically, pretty cool. I'm not a fan, and not knocking anyone, of the after market gauges in my car, I like the clean factory look (other than my 7" touch screen radio). I have to tell you the gauge looks really cool and pops up almost instantly on my phone! Little suction cup holder in the corner and bam a nice AFR gauge right in front of me when hitting it hard or at 1/8th mile track, take it down when done and back to factory, no harm done. I'll post some pictures and video when I get around to it, if anyone interested. I'm actually using an old I-Phone from work that won't take calls anymore, but the Bluetooth on it works fine, so I just throw it in the glove box. But, I also have the app on my phone. "MultiGauge" is the app if you want to check it out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds neat. I used to do something similar with an old android phone. Gets old though over time. Always pulling phone out, plugging in, charging issues, phone freezes, crashes etc. I eventually got tired of it and switched to a nGauge for gauges / display. Just plugs into ODB2 port and supports wideband input as well. Displays up to 6 PIDS of your choice and has optional logging with a couple touches of the screen to an internal SD Card which is pretty slick if you need that.
The nice part I liked about it was never dealing with a phone locking up anymore (more of an android issue than iphone I know), charging issues, sometimes bluetooth would just refuse to sync etc.

BuUSsapnxyA6JINAswydK-x3axhOqDcxWta0fzB732LwAzl37Xn9GfletDZOgy-FZDB5M6o9SpLEYd9DUjA=w800-h600-no.jpg

More recently I went to a megasquirt based ECU, MS3Pro, and it supports various dash and gauge cluster options. For now I went back to Android :( tablet lol. It's a little more permanent install with constant power when key on.
I may opt for an actual Dash unit in the future but they're $1200 + which is why I went the $30 tablet route for now.

Lhdes1sZWs9D-XhlhSJG7BGEIS81-hBoqnMeF1tSH4WmScYitgkSQpdqXaxgh2RbF7_1c7YjL13Eb81R6YY=w546-h728-no.jpg

RJ4zsCuX2Ne_l20KQJ72319a62PI0kmmUpUciWMDePtmoKwGZLRfMt4JDheoVZZnyaW-9WrgsRY9ZV0e-34=w800-h600-no.jpg

bigwave

Established Member
That is pretty slick, I like that setup; I have 2 IPhone 6's in the car now, both are "bad" drop calls, no VM, etc. but our phones are always cased so they look new, they are free, they hold a charge pretty good, and the BT and WiFi on them work fine. I usually send them off to recycle and get 0-5 bucks for them, so no big loss. PLX also has a little device that plugs into the ODB 2 port and does all that wireless as well, may have to look into it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I use both iphone and android and you're right the iphones are definitely more stable. The software/apps I was using back in the day were all Android based though so that's what I was using.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I really like the N Gauge. But I wish it would fit in the normal gauge pods.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Acunamatata

Established Member
Just got the 03 cobra back together, did all my projects I've been putting off until it was -5 outside and nothing else to do at night, started on these projects right after Christmas.
Dropped rear cradle IRS, put new poly bushings in, what a pain-until you figure out the tricks, installed new reinforced Ford Racing 8.8 IRS rear differential girdle (cover), took off the old 2-1/4 flowmaster cat-back and installed a new Magnaflow 2.5 cat back (has bassani 2.5X and high flow cats already) Anyone want a Flowmaster Cat Back?
And Finally I installed a Wideband AFR sensor and gauge or kind of a gauge.
I installed the PLX Devices SM-AFR Air-Fuel setup. The kit included the Bosch LSU4.9 sensor, Controller box (really small) and a little wireless dongle. It then just syncs to my I-Phone automatically, pretty cool. I'm not a fan, and not knocking anyone, of the after market gauges in my car, I like the clean factory look (other than my 7" touch screen radio). I have to tell you the gauge looks really cool and pops up almost instantly on my phone! Little suction cup holder in the corner and bam a nice AFR gauge right in front of me when hitting it hard or at 1/8th mile track, take it down when done and back to factory, no harm done. I'll post some pictures and video when I get around to it, if anyone interested. I'm actually using an old I-Phone from work that won't take calls anymore, but the Bluetooth on it works fine, so I just throw it in the glove box. But, I also have the app on my phone. "MultiGauge" is the app if you want to check it out.
I like it a lot! Link to buy and how to? Lol

# 1339

bigwave

Established Member
You can buy direct or they sell on EBay you can just google search PLX Wideband. I really like it, just throw the old IPhone on a phone holder and I have the gauge when I want it. I had an issue, all my fault for not paying attention, they (PLX) were very helpful and quick, I actually just chatted with them on their website. Datalogs just fine to my SCTX4 and or Laptop without issue, while showing AFR wireless on my Phone.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162724385160?chn=ps
Their web site:
http://www.plxdevices.com/PLX-Wideband-O2-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Sensor-Modules-Gauges-s/125.htm

Users who are viewing this thread