Just installed K&N FIPK- yea baby!

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
I was being cheap and just put in a regular K&N drop in. I was bored so i drove over to JBA racing and picked up the K&N FIPK kit.

First of all...i must complain about the bolts. They were too short. i had to install it without the "wave" washer thing. Just wouldnt fit. Because of the short bolts i felt like the stock mass sensor part was being stretchd where the bolts went in. It seemed like the metal shield should of fit through the stock piece. It didnt. i guess i could of ported it but the instruction made no mention of it. I even checked the part number 3 times to make sure i got the right part. Did anyone else have this problem? should the stock part with the mesh cover allow the shield to slip over it or lay right on it? Also. i never got the rubber thing on right. why didnt they just put it on for you. i had to cut it in place. i dont have much confidence in it being there. i may just take it off. looks good without it. dont really see the purpose of that kludge.

Once i got in on somehow i took a spin. I must say...this is what my car has been missing. Before the change i noticed my car felt like it was wanting to go but was being held back. It definately revs more freely now. Good feel.

smrtasp

Established Member
I installed one in my 03 a few weeks ago. I didnt have any issues. Everything fit as expected. I did have trim the rubber around the heat sheild but I expected I would have to since it comes a little long to begin with. I can definitely feel and hear the difference.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
Did the intake hole on your shield slip over the opening of the intake(part with the screen)? I had to sandwich mine. That is why the bolts were too small.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Cobra_Poison
Did the intake hole on your shield slip over the opening of the intake(part with the screen)? I had to sandwich mine. That is why the bolts were too small.

Something just ain't right man... You keep mentioning the "screen". You aren't trying to use the stock MAF screen with the K&N FIPK are you? You also stated you couldn't use the included washers. I don't understand why not though? There is plenty of thread on those screws!? Something ain't right and I can't put my finger on it...

U.M.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
aside from the filter clamped to the ring, nothing slips over anything else - it sandwiches together.

ring
shield
rubber gasket
MAF housing

and the bracket goes on the maf side under the head of the bolt.

throw the screen on the pile with the rest of the stock parts. the big ring does the job of the screen, which is to straighten out the direction of the incoming air.

hope it helps

kandn.jpg

kandn2.jpg

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Mine fit perfectly. No problems, except for a bit of struggling with the rubber strip for the heat shield. That's one TIGHT mother effer.

Sounds like you're trying to use the MAF screen from the stock airbox. You're NOT supposed to use it on the K&N FIPK. This could be your problem. Try removing it.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
Mine fit perfectly. No problems, except for a bit of struggling with the rubber strip for the heat shield. That's one TIGHT mother effer.

Sounds like you're trying to use the MAF screen from the stock airbox. You're NOT supposed to use it on the K&N FIPK. This could be your problem. Try removing it.

Ditto!

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte

What he said. Remove the MAF screen. No problems on my install. To see pics of FIPK install click link below.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
Just did it. makes a big difference..lol

Ya know. i didnt see on the directions where it said to remove the screen. I guess the screen is part of the air filter housing and not the MAS air. They should be a little clearer on the instructions.

Again. thanks guys. :-D

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
Did you get it installed ok?

I'm local if you want some help. Mine went together just fine.

86style

Established Member
:eek: :eek:
30 H.P.? on a stock cobra according to the dyno sheet they posted on the website????
you guys buying this?
if so, it would have to be the best intake kit available:??:

-pete

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 86style
:eek: :eek:
30 H.P.? on a stock cobra according to the dyno sheet they posted on the website????
you guys buying this?
if so, it would have to be the best intake kit available:??:

-pete

It was dyno tested in the new Hotrod mag. on a Black 10th Anni. and they picked up 26-27hp I cant exactly remember. So the K&N website is not far off!!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
You guys have to stop talking about even simple mods for your cars.....its killing me not to mod at all !!! Man...this setup does look and seems to make the power.

Users who are viewing this thread