Just how much HP can our stock blocks handle?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
It's not the block you need to worry about it's the rods and pistons.

COBRASVT

Established Member
No such thing as "safe" horsepower on these engines...the blocks can handle all you can give them, but the pistons will go quick.

You hear all the time of 10# non-intercooled Cobras running for 20k and then you hear of the 6# one that blue the week he put it on even with a good tune.

Seems like a crap shoot.

1. Get everything you need to be safe. Upgrade the fuel system completely, spend lots on the tune, intercool if possible and use good judgement.

2. Make sure you can afford a rebuild or a new motor if it goes.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
It all depends on the tune. I've seen some stock blocks take up to 500 at the rear without any problems. I've also seen some go at about 400 with a bad tune. My personal car had 420 at the tires and had over 16,000 miles before losing a piston.

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Bri'sMystic965
I agree with COBRASVT. I had a "conservative" tune and my modest combo lasted about 1,200 miles.

Brian

wait, is this with all the internal work and what not you have in your sig? what happened after 1200 miles?

Bri'sMystic965

Established Member
No, the forged combo is new (and boost friendly) :thumbsup:

I only have 400 miles on the new motor, so I'm waiting to break it in before I go with a re-tune. I'm not aiming to hit any balls out of the park, I would just be happy (for now) getting back to the power level I was at previously. I kind of feel that I didn't have enought time to enjoy the 400 rear wheel.

At least it is nice knowing that I've got some room for growth. My bottom end is probably good for up to 600 rw. I'll get there one day. :beer:

Brian

Peter

Established Member
Well my cammer must be on borrowed time, Im
shooting 473 rwhp on a non-intercooled stock block.
But I do have a conservative tune 11.4 a/f ratio and
I dont spend a lot of time in the high rpm's. I have had
this combo for close to 12,000 miles.
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread