Just got some slicks but...

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Just purchased a set of race stars 15x10 with some mickey 28x10.5 slicks and they dead hook but after about 20-30 MPH the rear of the car starts to sway almost uncontrollably.

I understand and have been in cars with bias ply slicks and know there will always be that sway but this is to the point I'm going halfway into the left lane then right lane. What could be causing this? They're stiff sidewall as well.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Make sure the tire pressure is as even as possible because at 1.5 psi difference, you might start jumping curbs...

Pics of tires on car?

KEVINS

Established Member
The tires may be following the crown/cupping of the road. Run around 30psi and see what happens.

ks

GCubersoldat

Established Member
I'll get a video of it tonight along with pics and post them up tomorrow morning.

I ran them at 15 psi and if it matters they have screws installed on the rim to prevent the tire from spinning on the wheel

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
What is upfront? You need a matching bias ply, or the car is going to feel like it has a hinge in the middle. You cannot run a big ass radial up front with a slick out back.

Mike

GCubersoldat

Established Member
What is upfront? You need a matching bias ply, or the car is going to feel like it has a hinge in the middle. You cannot run a big ass radial up front with a slick out back.

Mike
255/35-20 in the front when I tested it. Probably a contributing factor...gonna see if u can find a set of matching wheels for the front and try again

GCubersoldat

Established Member
need a mod to move this to the 2011-2014 coyote section....new tapatalk makes it extremely difficult to create a new post in the right subforum...sorry.

SCalla1384

Established Member

Mike

This x10000

the problem is running a radial with a bias ply out back. I had Hoosier slicks aired down to 10psi hot, with Phoenix bias ply skinnys up front aired up to 42psi. And it tracked straight as an arrow. Once in a while, I would get alittle sway in 2nd gear, but would disappear when I hit 3rd. I wouldn't even say sway, tracked straight but felt like it was floating.

I see people running at the track with slicks and big radials up front swaying all over the place. Not only is it dangerous, but you could wreck the other persons car too. I understand some people don't know, but for the people that know it's swaying very violent but stay in it are idiots.

Op, try higher pressure. It may not sway on you, but don't go to violent on the launch (clutch dump) but regardless, I'd consider buying skinnys with bias ply tires up front

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I run a skinny hoosier radial up front with 28x10.5 stiff sidewall slicks. On the street it walks all around under normal driving but at the track it has no issues at all.

BlueCoyote

Established Member
^Same. I run a skinny radial upfront with bias ply slicks on the rear of my new edge. I have felt alittle sway bit a few times but it is completely doable. Not saying it can't happen.
OP, the loose rear end feeling you feel is too little air pressure. I ran my soft sidewalls on the street with under 8psi and it wanted to wander everywere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread