Just got news yesterday that no one ever wants to hear...

buckinwild

Established Member
They announced that the company i work for will be closed. we were recently bought by another company and appearantly they were out to acquire our workload and fill up their own plants. I can't blame them for their actions although i am upset, i'm just not looking forward to being unemployed after nearly 21 years of service and the loses that my wife and i are likely about to go through. She's already on unemployment, we've filed for ch13 bankruptcy recently and thats been taking all but $48 dollars from my check weekly. they told us that we will have an opprotunity to put in for work at some of their other plants but most of those are up north and although i have no problem with that part of the world i'd like to stay close to this neck of the woods. Dunno, guess i'll do what i have to in the end. Keeping head up, wish me luck fella's. Anyone else on here in this situation?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That really sucks tough times out there in this little world of ours thats for sure. Hang in there, hopefully things will get better for you.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Sorry to hear. What do you do for them?

Maybe we can convince the SVTP mods to open up a Resume section for members who are looking for work.

Good luck to you.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I hate hearing things like this. I feel for you bud. As hard as it is try to keep positive. Maybe this is leading to a new oppertunity you would have never had if you'd have stayed at your old job. Wish you and your family the best

MARK C

Established Member
You will make it through...keep your head up!!
It happened to me. I was the parts manager @ a chrysler jeep dealership. Worked there 10 years.....then the lovley GOVERNMENT steped in and closed us down. Gave us a whopping 24 days to sell off everything. That was in june 2009. The owner tried his best...but closed the doors for good in oct 2009. 4 months of unemployment. Got a job @ another dealership....6 weeks there, then got my first commission check. Some promises were made, and not kept. Then, this job I'm @ now just fell into my lap. Brand new KIA dealership. I'm the parts manager again.Good money, long hours, and I can pay my bills!!!
Like someone allready said, one door closes and a new one opens. Get your resurme (spelling) together and hit the streets!
Good luck, wish you the best!
Mark

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear this news Doug. Despite all the negative news we continue to hear about our economy and about shrinking job markets, we have to remain hopeful and positive. I hate to hear of anyone having to go through something like this. I wish the very best for you and your family. And I pray for wisdom for you to make a right decision when a door opens. Remain ever hopeful!

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
Yea, keep your head up man, things will work out in the end. Good luck and hang in there.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
makes me sick to my stomach for you man. keep your chin up~! (easier said than done, i know) good luck to you and your wife....all the best~!

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
My father and brother were recently laid off from a construction company that was playing "fast and loose" with their money. My father has just recently gotten back to work from being unemployed for 16 months. My brother had found work 3 months after. Ended up BSing his way into a position as a body shop manager. Now that company just folded as well, so he is out looking as well.

It's hard times out there right now. Just try to see the galss as half full and know that when one door closes, another one opens!

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Bucknwild I hate to hear the bad news. Just hang in there & do what you gotta do to find the next job. 21 years on the same job is a lot & when you've worked for one company that long & lose yoour job, it's like the rug got pulled out from under your feet.

I've worked for the same company for 29 years but have been out on a leave of absence since last October due to cancer. I still got my job but social security that I draw was not near what I was making each week. Two months after I was diagnosed, my wife gets laid off her job of 20 years.

She just got her degree for teaching this Spring but no one will hire her as of yet. The finance situation with all this has been hard, but somehow or another we've been blessed enough to make it.

You don't have to answer, but what are your specialties & what kind of work will you be looking for? I see that you are one state above me so I may or may not be able to help look out for jobs for you. Would you be willing to move if you found good work?

Robert Francis

Established Member
That's too bad about your company. Years ago I worked with many guys in your situation: those that had lost their jobs due to no fault of their own, but were fortunate enough to have a job offered at another location. Most didn't have much choice on alternate employment and they didn't want to move and leave all their friends and associations behind, take their kids out of school etc, but they did so. They followed their work and in turn they formed new friends and associations and went back home often and kept most of their old friends and things worked out well for them.

My daughter and her husband just went through this last year. His company closed their office, but offered him another opportunity out of state, that hopefully would be permanent, about 200 miles away. For about a year he would work there or at another office about 150 miles away: he would stay in a hotel for a week and then come home on the weekends. In the meantime he unsuccessfully sought employment in his field where they lived so they might not have to move. Finally a permanent position opened up for him in one of the offices and they moved down there this spring. They didn't want to leave where they were at, and take the kids out of school, and go through all the things you do in moving, but thats where his work was. And now they've made new new friends and love the little town they now live in.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
My friend's company just got bought out and the new owner came in and fired everyone. He worked there since he was 17 years old (now 31). If I were you I would start looking now because all the people that work at your company are going to do the same thing and the open jobs in your area are going to go quick. Hang in there and good luck!

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
Been there, done that. It sucks.. start getting your resume together ASAP and hit the ground running on your next endeavor. Best of luck!.. I could use some right now too as a contract I was on recently concluded.

buckinwild

Established Member
Bucknwild I hate to hear the bad news. Just hang in there & do what you gotta do to find the next job. 21 years on the same job is a lot & when you've worked for one company that long & lose yoour job, it's like the rug got pulled out from under your feet.

I've worked for the same company for 29 years but have been out on a leave of absence since last October due to cancer. I still got my job but social security that I draw was not near what I was making each week. Two months after I was diagnosed, my wife gets laid off her job of 20 years.

She just got her degree for teaching this Spring but no one will hire her as of yet. The finance situation with all this has been hard, but somehow or another we've been blessed enough to make it.

You don't have to answer, but what are your specialties & what kind of work will you be looking for? I see that you are one state above me so I may or may not be able to help look out for jobs for you. Would you be willing to move if you found good work?

Sounds like your having a pretty rough go of it as well, med bills likely piling up, living off less than regular income and the cancer which is bad enough regardless of any financial problems. As far as my specialties, basically high school grad. worked in printing/graphic arts field for the 20+ years, kinda in air whether to stick with that field since the magazine media future is becoming more geared towards internet. I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I took building trades in school so I have some experience with construction brick/block laying, framing, etc. Some arc welding experience too. I'm seriously considering some kind of trades school, I know my job qualifications aren't all that promising at this point, most employers like to see "degree" and "certified" on resume's nowaday's at least to earn wages like I've been accustomed to. The sucky part is this deal may require me to move and with home sales depressed and my credit being in the crapper from having to file bankruptcy just a few months ago to get our home out of foreclosure i figure we're pretty limited in relocation options. Just seems like when you think it can't get any worse it finds a way. I'll keep on plugging away as long as I'm physically able anyway. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and support, you guys are aces:thumbsup:

Last edited:

buckinwild

Established Member
Been there, done that. It sucks.. start getting your resume together ASAP and hit the ground running on your next endeavor. Best of luck!.. I could use some right now too as a contract I was on recently concluded.

Yes I'm currently in the process of piecing info together for the resume as well as doing some preliminary job searches to get an idea of the road ahead. Good luck to you as well, nobody should have to endure any of this but I guess its life's way of gaining appreciation and insight from us. I'm sure we'll leave this world better in some way from all of this, at least I like to think so anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread