Just got my new Magnum T-56

my92gt

Established Member
I sold the stock T-56 2 weeks ago and ordered the magnum since. I ordered the 2.97 1st and .50 6th. I just received it today. Going to be installing it over the weekend..

a1b600b1.jpg

e8b3317d.jpg

bcb9fb0a.jpg

The trans came with the bosses ground off. I do need to extend one of the wires for one plug, clearance the clutch fork, and pound in the top of the trans tunnel to clear the shifter. I Have a solid rear end with a cobra pinion flange, spicer 1350 u-joints, and a strange 31 spline trans yoke on the stock driveshaft. Hopefully I wont need to shorten the driveshaft as I have a solid.

Any body know of any good Threads on how to install them in an 03 Cobra??

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Ive had mine for about 6 months, absoluetly the best shifting tranny ive ever had the pleasure of yanking gears in. Only trans that shifted just as nice was my T45. No issues at all with it. Shifts just as nice at 2300rpms as it does at 6700

TRBO VNM

OP, take a pic of the tail shaft seal. I hope they used the upgraded one. Last one I installed the seal came out by itself after a short drive. We had to call and found out they changed it and sent a new one out.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
That's awesome Abraham... I'm sure you won't be disappointed.:beer: I might be in the market for one in the future. Let us know how the install went.

Ravi

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You won't be disappointed.. BUT I will say that I had 3.55's in mine with a .50 and you can't shift into 6th unless you're doing like 90mph.. So you'll probably need to get some different rear gears.. It's the best transmission I've ever shifted too.. I think I was the first one on SVTP to have one actually.

my92gt

Established Member
OP, take a pic of the tail shaft seal. I hope they used the upgraded one. Last one I installed the seal came out by itself after a short drive. We had to call and found out they changed it and sent a new one out.
329fee2c.jpg

b5c8a815.jpg

740843cb.jpg

That's awesome Abraham... I'm sure you won't be disappointed.:beer: I might be in the market for one in the future. Let us know how the install went.

Ravi
I'm planning on making a how to thread. I've heard nothing but good reviews on this trans.
You won't be disappointed.. BUT I will say that I had 3.55's in mine with a .50 and you can't shift into 6th unless you're doing like 90mph.. So you'll probably need to get some different rear gears.. It's the best transmission I've ever shifted too.. I think I was the first one on SVTP to have one actually.
I've had 3.73's on the stock trans. Do I need to step them up?? I was actually thinking of stepping back down to 3.55's.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You should be ok with 3.73's going into 6th.. at 75 it'll be down there like in the 17-1800 range so hopefully you won't have to use a lot of throttle to maintain speed..

winker2112

Established Member
I finally got around to breaking in my clutch after installing the mcleod rxt and magnum. Did some high rpm shifting after about 500 miles, and it feels great! Worlds better than the stock t56. Def happy with it. Only thing I noticed is that when cold, the first shift from 2-3 feels notchy. By the second time I shift to third, it feels fine. Not really worried.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ I wouldn't worry mine does the same.. I double clutch on the first shift now and it's smooth everytime after.. I think it's just that the fluid is cold.

winker2112

Established Member
^^ I wouldn't worry mine does the same.. I double clutch on the first shift now and it's smooth everytime after.. I think it's just that the fluid is cold.

That's what I figured.

winker2112 I see you did the same mods as me on an 03 cobra.. Any how to thread on your end??

I didn't really take any notes on the step by step of getting the clutch trans
installed. Had to do it in one night (5-9), so I kinda flew through it. Only pointers I can give you is...

There's 2 castings on the r/s of the tranny that stick out too far and were
hitting the trans tunnel when it was up. Dropped it back down and shaved
down those castings. Looks like the stock t56 has those same castings, already shaved down so you can compare.

I had to hammer up the top part of the tunnel so the bolts on the shifter plate wouldn't hit also.

Might also have to shave some of the bolt heads down on the plate infront of
the shifter plate so they don't hit the top of the tunnel too.

Looking back it wasn't too bad, but given my budgeted time, and going into it thinking it was a direct swap was the frustrating part. Other than that it's pretty much straight forward. If you have long tubes it just makes it a lil bit harder to get in there too.

Sorry I don't have too much info to help, it was a busted knuckle night after a long day of work, so I erased it from my memory as fast as possible.

my92gt

Established Member
Just finished the install.. WOAH!! Nice shifting trans.. Literally shifts itself(almost) lol.. Soft pedal from the RXT and smooth shifts courtesy of tremec.. Still have to adjust a couple of things.. I went with the MGW handle and it's almost like having the whole shifter..

TRBO VNM

Like I mentioned in the pm, from the pics it looks like you have the original seal. I hope it doesn't pop out on you. The new one we received was similar in design to the pinion seal if you know what they look like.

If you start seeing any smoke behind you, fluid could be coming out and burning on the exhaust and hopefully it isn't too late by then.

And what is strange, I didn't have to do any modifications to the trans or the tunnel for the one I installed. It fit perfect.

Last edited:

my92gt

Established Member
I cant tell you anything on first gear because I still haven't broken in the trans yet, but I can tell you that I'm at 1600rpm's at 70mph with 3.73 gears 315-35-17 tires..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Interested to know how the 2.97 1st and .50 6th work out for you. Pros and cons.

It works out great for me with 4.10's.. I'm at around 2k rpm at 75mph with a 295/35/18...

I cant tell you anything on first gear because I still haven't broken in the trans yet, but I can tell you that I'm at 1600rpm's at 70mph with 3.73 gears 315-35-17 tires..

How do you like being that low of an rpm?? Do you put a lot of load at that rpm cruising?

my92gt

Established Member
When going up a slight hill the speed naturally decreases if my foot doesn't stay on the gas.. If that happens I down shift to 5th and then back into 6th.. I took a 1 hour round trip yesterday and just used cruise control most of the way at 70 mph in 6th.. It was like having 3.27 gears out back..
04b1cece.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread