Just got my car back (long)

CobraTone

Established Member
Well, as some of you may know, I had my car in for the head swap to take care of the tick. I just got it back today after two freakin weaks of driving around a Taurus with "Ford of Ocala" written all over it. :burn:

Anyways, the tick is gone but I find myself extremely paranoid. I have not had that much time to drive it because I went straight from class to pick her up and then straight to work. I did look under the hood and it looked like absolute shit. They could have at least cleaned it up a little. I don't know much about engines so I will be taking it to my girlfriend's dad to let him look it over and see if anything looks out of place. I will be cleaning it up tomorrow hopefully if I have time.

About the paranoia, it just feels really weird driving it. Is this because I haven't driven it in so long?? Things like the steering feels weird and the clutch feels different, and I am afriad to take it to WOT for fear of not breaking in the new head, so I don't know if that is any different. And is it possible for the engine to sit lower than it is supposed to? For some reason it looks like it is. I am probably just really paranoid and need some consolation. :(

By the way, I am going to have my stepdad talk to the dealer tomorrow, they put 30 miles on it! :cuss: Isn't this kind of excessive, even for a head swap? Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for your consoling. :(

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If your steering is jacked, then definately take it back. They probably removed the K-member to lower the motor for the headswap and did not properly bolt backup.

CobraTone

Established Member
Would that cause the engine to appear that it was sitting lower than normal? Sorry for the dumb questions, like I mentioned earlier I'm no engine guy. :shrug:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
they put 30 miles on it! :cuss: Isn't this kind of excessive, even for a head swap?
I am still dealing with a dealer for "joy rides" in mine. All the service guys deny driving it at all, but someone put 6 miles on it, after changing the fog lights, I don't think that warrants a test drive. In your case, I'm sure a true test drive was in order, but 30 miles does seem excessive, I hate dealers, Sell me the car for $25k with no warranty, and I'll just fix it myself !!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
have you told the dealer about some of your concerns? And the tick is completely gone right?

CobraTone

Established Member
No I have not contacted them yet because I'm in class and work all day today as well. But yes, the tick is completely gone that's for sure, at least that is one good thing.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If it just feels weird driving it, I know what you mean. I went away for 2 weeks and I got back in my car and it seemed like the first time I got in the car even though I put 17000 miles on it. The clutch, brakes, and steering felt new to me. It was odd.

If the car actually drives different then take it back. 30 miles is excessive. I always make it a habit to tell them the exact milage when I drop off my car so they know I know.

Last edited:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I'm not defending the dealer but a mile goes by pretty quick when diagnosing a problem. Odds are the determined the car needed to be taken to the closest freeway to 1. ensure the tick was gone and 2. ensure the head was seated. Think about it this way if they had drivin it 1 mile, called it good and the tick was back; how would you feel? As far as sitting lower 2 words: motor mounts. If it's not an illusion they may have used the wrong mount holes in the K member.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Yes 30 miles is a bit excessive depending on the surroundings of the dealership. I would at least ask them why there are so many miles on it.

When you drop the car off for service make sure the advisor watches you write down the mileage.

As far as "feeling" different... yes my car felt different when I got it back too. 10 days driving a Taurus can make it very strange to pilot the Cobra again.

If it still feels strange after 4 or 5 days or if it seems excessively loose, I'd consider calling them and asking them if they'd check over everything because you have a concern that perhaps the front end was not retorqued properly.

I had a 2001 GT that had a motor replaced at a different dealer a couple years ago.... I got the car back and drove it for months with it feeling loose as a goose and making low speed pops when turning. Finally it got so bad I took it in. They had left the entire front end untorqued upon reassembly. :(

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
Thanks for all of your advice guys, I really appreciate it. I will drive it for a few more days to see if I get the feel of her again. I am also planning on taking it to my girlfriends house still so her dad can look things over. I snapped a few pics just a few minutes ago, I know you probably can't tell anything from them, but I think I was smoking crack anyways. :burn:

CobraTone

Established Member
Look how dirty they left her. :cryying: Now that im looking at them I thing I was definitely smoking crack. For some reason it just seemed like the back of the engine sat lower. Maybe I'm just a :loser:

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Glad to hear they fixed your tick! My car's at the dealership for the Tick, the rear end pop, and some other issues... I'm worried! I mentioned my "joy ride" concerns to the service manager, and he assured me that "that doesn't happen here," but I dunno.

Do you think I can ask them to detail the engine bay before I pick the car back up?

~Berj

btw, they gave me a Focus ZX5 to drive =)

CobraTone

Established Member
Did it have the dealer's name written all over it? Lol. I don't know, if I was doing it again I would certainly tell them to at least wipe everything down on the engine when they were done.

I had mine in for stalling and the pull to the right as well. As for the stall, they supposedly fixed it although I'm not sure what they did. For the pull, they gave me the typical bs about the tire pressure and the crown of the road. Looks like it's time for a set of caster camber plates with my next paycheck. I need to find someone around here that can install them. :beer:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Engines get dirty when you do that kind of extensive work on them. Service departments aren't in the engine compartment cleaning business. Take it to a good detailer that does under the hood engine cleaning or do it yourself.

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus now as well, and I don't know for how long. It's not the tick, I have some kind of axle problem (1,450 miles)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread