Just got done...

Justin

Established Member
I just got done with my alternator replacement. It wasnt easy, but thanks to BLK 03, I was able to get it all done. I didnt replace the battery. After I finished the install, I tried to jump it off another car. It didnt start. Does this mean that I just need to suck it up and buy a new battery, or could the problem I was having not even have been the alternator? I just get a click click click click.. I hate that. My thought was that it would start if I jumped it from another car. I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

Established Member
I dont think its a loose connection. I would have seen that when i was installing the alt. I changed it because my car died and all the symptoms pointed to the alt.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm guessing your car is 3 years old and that is about the expected life from a battery. After that it gets weaker and weaker until one day it just dies. I have always made it a point to replace any battery at the 3 year mark. Better than risking it going when I would least want it to. A cheap investment at this point for you so I would definitely swap in a new one. You really won't lose anything since it is time to change it anyway. Hope that cures your problem for good.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You're alternator R & R has nothing to do with the bad connections to the starter. Check there first. I'm assuming you also disconnected the battery before you ever started the repair....did you clean both terminals and posts? You would be amazed at how many problems that cures. Next, since it also didn't help to jump the car, I would also suspect the solenoid. Unless the battery has a direct short in it (in shich case it would have seriously dragged down the engine of the car you used to jump with) it should have started by jumping it if the battery were just dead. I'm guessing bad/dirty connection or solenoid.

Justin

Established Member
Ok.. so I should probably get a battery anyway. I will do that today. If what FireRed said is true, than it should have still started when i tried to jump it. I cleaned the the posts and terminals. Thats not the problem. When I connected the jumper cables, the lights inside my car came on like i thought they would. When I turned the key, all the power went away and it didnt start. I hope the new battery will help. It would suck to be the starter after spending time and money on an alternator and battery.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Justin said:
I just got done with my alternator replacement. It wasnt easy, but thanks to BLK 03, I was able to get it all done. I didnt replace the battery. After I finished the install, I tried to jump it off another car. It didnt start. Does this mean that I just need to suck it up and buy a new battery, or could the problem I was having not even have been the alternator? I just get a click click click click.. I hate that. My thought was that it would start if I jumped it from another car. I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
This.....Has all the signs of a needed battery replacement.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Justin said:
If what FireRed said is true, than it should have still started when i tried to jump it. I cleaned the the posts and terminals. Thats not the problem. When I connected the jumper cables, the lights inside my car came on like i thought they would. When I turned the key, all the power went away and it didnt start. I hope the new battery will help. It would suck to be the starter after spending time and money on an alternator and battery.

If you had poor connections with the jumper cables, the exact thing you described would happen and it indeed could be your battery.

Users who are viewing this thread