Just got clutch TSB done today...

hissingcobra

Established Member
i just picked up my car about 30 minutes ago from the dealership and i noticed that it is extremely difficult to put it in first gear and also reverse. i basically have to force it in to both of those gears. i talked to the technician and he said that is being caused by air bubbles and it will smooth out within the next few days. i have never heard of this and wanted to know if its true?:shrug:

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah thats bullshit. They didnt properly bleed the system. Mine was and it workes perfect from when I picked it up.

chuckstang

Established Member
This is the issue i have. Problem is no one seems to be able to properly bleed these things. Pumping the clutch works but does not seem to be a permanent fix as i have to do this about once a month.

jtn83

Established Member
I just heard from the dealership today. He said after hours of back and forth calls with Ford Engineers, they have decided the culprit is the input shaft. They are now in the process of rebuilding the tranny.

My question is...how the hell did the input shaft get messed up? The car wasn't this bad before they perfomed the TSB. Before when heat soaked it would be somewhat difficult to shift into reverse or 1st. This was caused by the flywheel getting distorted due to the heat. After the TSB it was like I was actually locked out of gear - took almost both hands to pull it into 1st or reverse, and when in gear with the pedal all the way down the car would creep. Something tells me their diagnosis of it being the input shaft is BS.

R1Lello

Established Member
if i were you, I'd be sweating, they don't know what it is period. the input shaft line is bs if no issues before. Sounds like yours is the first they did and did it wrong.

bpmurr

Established Member
I hope you guys get your clutch situations worked out! :)

jtn83

Established Member
Yeah, I'm definitely sweating it. They admitted it was the first one they did. Even made several unsettling comments like, "wow, that had a weird style clutch, something we'd never seen." Then after they called me today to say they were rebuilding the tranny (read: throwing parts at it) they said, "Don't worry, the tech knows what he's doing with the transmission." I heard that and was like seriously?

I'm really tempted to invoke the lemon law and just walk away from this car. I loved this car, but after all this trouble it's starting to lose its fun - this is the 3rd time I've had the TSB done so far, and 2nd time that the transmission has been rebuilt. I've called a few law firms and they've all said I have a good case for lemon law buy back. Just chaps my ass because I just want the car back and working - and to have some confidence in it that is finally fixed.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
If your car is creeping with your clutch all the way in to the floor then you have more than just air bubbles and hydraulic issues. The input shaft was revised back on the 2nd tab i believe and i assume you just had the latest tab which is the 4th revision which includes new 2010 clutch kit flywheel and slave but does not include the revised input shaft from the prior tab. I think ford just has not found the right combo of parts or the dealer techs just are not cabable of properly diagnosing and repairing these drivetrains. I feel your pain. TRUST ME

chuckstang

Established Member
Yeah, I'm definitely sweating it. They admitted it was the first one they did. Even made several unsettling comments like, "wow, that had a weird style clutch, something we'd never seen." Then after they called me today to say they were rebuilding the tranny (read: throwing parts at it) they said, "Don't worry, the tech knows what he's doing with the transmission." I heard that and was like seriously?

I'm really tempted to invoke the lemon law and just walk away from this car. I loved this car, but after all this trouble it's starting to lose its fun - this is the 3rd time I've had the TSB done so far, and 2nd time that the transmission has been rebuilt. I've called a few law firms and they've all said I have a good case for lemon law buy back. Just chaps my ass because I just want the car back and working - and to have some confidence in it that is finally fixed.

What year is your car? You are most likely not eligible if its over a year old. I had looked into it and like you just wanted it right. Try pumping your clutch

jtn83

Established Member
If your car is creeping with your clutch all the way in to the floor then you have more than just air bubbles and hydraulic issues. The input shaft was revised back on the 2nd tab i believe and i assume you just had the latest tab which is the 4th revision which includes new 2010 clutch kit flywheel and slave but does not include the revised input shaft from the prior tab. I think ford just has not found the right combo of parts or the dealer techs just are not cabable of properly diagnosing and repairing these drivetrains. I feel your pain. TRUST ME

When was the input shaft revised? The last time TSB before this 4th one was TSB 8-16-4 preformed on March 26, 2009. It doesn't say anything about there being a revised input shaft, but I do know that they rebuilt the tranny because they said the syncros were bad then.

jtn83

Established Member
What year is your car? You are most likely not eligible if its over a year old. I had looked into it and like you just wanted it right. Try pumping your clutch

Car's a 2009. According the lawyers as long as the problem began within 18 months or 18,000 miles you qualify. They said they've even had "lemons" bought back that were out of the warranty period.

I tried pumping the clutch repeatedly before letting the dealership start throwing parts at it. I was desperately hoping that this was the problem - going back under the knife at the dealership was a last resort.

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
That's why. I will do the clutch myself. I wont let this clowns touch my car. and then tell me the tranny needs a rebuild. that actually sounds funny to me. I will be furious.. Even if it takes me a week a will do my own clutch.. now that I know these issues. It can be that complicated..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so you dont have another dealer around that has done the TSB?

R1Lello

Established Member
I'm surprised after all the crap you posted of that dealer indicating lack of experience that you'd even take it there, find another dealer that has worked on clutches and the TSB......." that's was a weird clutch", oh god..........bye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya, off to another dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread