Just got back from Bondurant

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Wow, what a blast. If any of you have the coin to drop on a racing school, do it (obviously since it's not my money). Luckily, I won a contest and got to go for free. I did the 3 day grand prix road racing course. The school is out in Chandler, AZ, a little south of Phoenix. From day 1 we were in the 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, and started with the basics (heel-toe downshifting, learning about the different types of apexes, turn in points, track-out, trail braking, etc.) but by day 3, we were in the vette's all day on track. I think the last day had 5 minutes total of classroom.

Here are some videos; first video is from Day 3 where it was open track on the full course. It is VERY technical. Second video is from the last night there where I signed up for the shifter karting class... what a workout. I think I still have whiplash from my head getting yanked back during acceleration and side to side around the corners. They go 0-100 in 6 seconds and can pull 2.5g's through a corner.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-eD2jRPhM"]Bondurant - Day 3 - Full Course - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdpU4jzlyUE&feature=related"]Bondurant - Shifter Kart Hot Lap - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
I love that they use skid cars, most schools don't and they're really educational.

I went twice, back in late 2000 and early 2001, thanks to a client who was a sponsor manufacturer. At the time, they drove SN95 mustangs, and I said "man, I really would love to get my '92 out on this track". Fast forward 10 years and 6000 track miles, and what happens? I end up moving from Kansas City to Chandler, less than 10 minutes from Firebird. Then in September I found out a group called Pro Autosports is putting on a track day at the "Mondo" track configuration, which is the Firebird Main track connected to the Bondurant track for a nice long combination. So there I was, in the same '92 I wished so much I could take on the Bondurant track all those years ago, actually there doing it. And they ran that event again the next year:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQ2KS_9G9g"]Proautosports Mondo 9-24-11 Mini Cooper S.wmv - YouTube[/nomedia]

It's interesting to see the chicanes they threw into your configuration to keep top speeds down, one right after Maricopa Turn and one after the pit lane before the little turn right over the hill leading down to Maricopa Turn.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I love that they use skid cars, most schools don't and they're really educational.

I went twice, back in late 2000 and early 2001, thanks to a client who was a sponsor manufacturer. At the time, they drove SN95 mustangs, and I said "man, I really would love to get my '92 out on this track". Fast forward 10 years and 6000 track miles, and what happens? I end up moving from Kansas City to Chandler, less than 10 minutes from Firebird. Then in September I found out a group called Pro Autosports is putting on a track day at the "Mondo" track configuration, which is the Firebird Main track connected to the Bondurant track for a nice long combination. So there I was, in the same '92 I wished so much I could take on the Bondurant track all those years ago, actually there doing it. And they ran that event again the next year:

Proautosports Mondo 9-24-11 Mini Cooper S.wmv - YouTube

It's interesting to see the chicanes they threw into your configuration to keep top speeds down, one right after Maricopa Turn and one after the pit lane before the little turn right over the hill leading down to Maricopa Turn.

haha that is awesome! That looks like a great configuration. I miss the place already..

yeah, they said once they switched to the vettes from mustangs, they had some issues with them going off track heading into Maricopa just b/c of the speeds. I think the top speed I saw was 105 on the front straight.

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
I had the opportunity to do Justin Bell's GT Driving School here in WPB, FL, back in about 2001 ish.

It was also a 3 day school, we had 5 Dodge Vipers and about 7 Neon ACR's.
SO much fun. I think the most fun was practicing running starts.

All the instructors were in Vipers, and we were in the Neons. They all started behind us. When we came around turn 10, onto the front straight, and the Green Flag flew, They all came screaming past us!!! I was so freakin scared, nearly shit myself!!!

But It was SOO much fun. I also won a bet with my boss at the time, met all my sales goals, and he paid. Cost 3 grand back then.

This was my ride for 3 days...
viper1.jpg

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
So how much trade-in on the Miata will the Corvette dealer give you?

lol, they'd probably make me pay them to take it.

actually, now that I've sent my paperwork in for my regional SCCA comp license, im looking into getting something for wheel-to-wheel racing since the Miata is more of a track rat and isnt built for any class, so I'll probably just get a Spec Miata. The vette's were a blast and were impressive, but I just need something cheap to race.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Track time in a Cheby beats no track time.

How much track time have you been getting down there?

I've got about 8 weekends now of DEs, and then the 3 full days at Bondurant. My SCCA regional comp license is coming in the mail soon, but I just need to find something to race, since the Miata really doesnt fit into any class as it sits. I'd have to go over to NASA and run PTE with the Miata. I'm thinking about just selling it and getting a fully-prepped SM car.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Helpful tip... NASA won't accept an SCCA liscence but SCCA will accept a NASA liscence. Keep your SCCA membership but carry a NASA Comp liscence. You can race with both groups but not have to have liscences from both. This will save you some $$$.

Great vids, be ready to spend $$$ if you go the SM route. Look to see if there are any IT cars for sale locally. Best of luck in '12.

Cobi-Wan

Established Member
I did the 4 day advanced drivers course about 3 years ago. It was unbelievable! 2.5 days in the Vette n then a day n a half beyond the wheel of a formula mini. I didn't have anything to drive competitively, so I never got my SCCA license. Kinda wish I had, just to say it...

That school is incredible. Great instructors, awesome learning experiences and packed full of ass-kicking; I hope I can go back some day.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Helpful tip... NASA won't accept an SCCA liscence but SCCA will accept a NASA liscence. Keep your SCCA membership but carry a NASA Comp liscence. You can race with both groups but not have to have liscences from both. This will save you some $$$.

Great vids, be ready to spend $$$ if you go the SM route. Look to see if there are any IT cars for sale locally. Best of luck in '12.

Yeah I've been finding that out.... it looks like I may just use my SCCA license to get my NASA license instead of having to go through all of the NASA licensing courses and expenses.

SM definitely seems competitive, but from the more I have been reading, you really need some money to run at the top. I'll keep an eye out for some IT/PT cars, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread