Just got a Granatelli K member for cheap... and it looks identical to the MM unit.

dougwg

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
From all my measurments this piece seems very solid and square, which is all you really need in a K member.

might I ask your qualifications

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Mechanical engineering degree.

A k member is not rocket science. If everything bolts up in the right spot, and is square in relationship to the rear, it will be fine. Any adjustments in caster will fine tune the suspension.

Last edited:

davidsk5018

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Reading comprehension owns you.

I have nothing against MM etc. They DO make great products, have great customer service and are an innovative and dynamic company. I have many of their products installed on my car.

There are people that cannot afford $650 for a K member or $1500 for coilover kits, or are not willing to pay that much for said components. There are cheaper alternatives out there to some of these parts. This thread was meant to illustrate one of those cheaper options. I saved $200 + of of the retail price of this K member. For those that might be in the market for a K member, this is definately worth looking at.

MM is a proven brand name, and with that name comes higher prices. MM is there to make money, make no mistake. Are the higher prices worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no not so much. If you want to buy all MM products... have at it. You will get mostly topnotch stuff. A few of their products leave something to be desired, weather that is from a design, or cost standpoint.... there are products out there that are better and are cheaper. You can decide which parts you like using your own metrics. If you metric is having a MM sticker on it, then that is fine by me.

I decided to give the GMS K member a shot. I figured it can't be that bad if it is what hellion includeds in their turbo kits. From all my measurments this piece seems very solid and square, which is all you really need in a K member. As long as everything lines up when I install it, I will be compleately satisfied. If you don't like it.. DON'T BUY ONE.

Spelling owns you. :kaboom:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Reading comprehension owns you.

I have nothing against MM etc. They DO make great products, have great customer service and are an innovative and dynamic company. I have many of their products installed on my car.

There are people that cannot afford $650 for a K member or $1500 for coilover kits, or are not willing to pay that much for said components. There are cheaper alternatives out there to some of these parts. This thread was meant to illustrate one of those cheaper options. I saved $200 + of of the retail price of this K member. For those that might be in the market for a K member, this is definately worth looking at.

MM is a proven brand name, and with that name comes higher prices. MM is there to make money, make no mistake. Are the higher prices worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no not so much. If you want to buy all MM products... have at it. You will get mostly topnotch stuff. A few of their products leave something to be desired, weather that is from a design, or cost standpoint.... there are products out there that are better and are cheaper. You can decide which parts you like using your own metrics. If you metric is having a MM sticker on it, then that is fine by me.

I decided to give the GMS K member a shot. I figured it can't be that bad if it is what hellion includeds in their turbo kits. From all my measurments this piece seems very solid and square, which is all you really need in a K member. As long as everything lines up when I install it, I will be compleately satisfied. If you don't like it.. DON'T BUY ONE.

If I can't afford to pay for the part from the company that actually spent the time and resources to R&D it, I won't buy it. Just face it, you did something that a lot of us think is a disgrace, and we're not going to shut up about it just because you're light in the wallet.

jimwood

Established Member
Serpentor said:
I doubt they have the sofistication or sales volume to outsource to china, most likely they hired a bunch of illegal immigrants to copy the MM K-member and used inferior materials to save money.

image.php

You look like an illegal that just stole someones viper. :thumbsup:

Anyway, Ashley I think what people are saying, and which I agree, even if you have no problem with buying ripped off parts, you may have a problem if welds break or metal bends.

There is no way you can tell if the welds will hold or the grade of steel used. All of which is important, if you knew the forces that your K-Member comes under during cornering, braking or hitting a pothole.

If that thing pops at 100 mph, hell even 45 mph, know that you were forewarned.

Last edited:

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I have an ME degree as well. There is more to the quality & design of a
part than its fit for a structural part like a K-member. There is weld
quality, material type/quality, part wall thickness, how much (on track)
testing was done, and FEA/simulation to name a few.

If someone copied a design I had spent a significant amount of time
developing and designed, I would be upset just as Doug is. He is a
person not a "company". He has a family, he has bills just like the rest
of us. The criticism of him for speaking his mind on the blatant plagiarism
he has experienced upsets me because he has done so much for the
terminator community.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I have BEEN to Granatelli, and even had a friend that worked there.
GMS = China.

8 years ago when I had my 98GT, I almost bought their weight jacker LCAs... looked exactly like MM's. I was advised against it.

ENJOY your K-member... :pepper:

stevenscamaross

SVT Pimp
Established Member
Wow these arguments can go on forever. I would have bought the GMS over the MM for that price.

Face it people.. most of the shit you buy for your cars have been ripped off. You think Billetflow was the first to make supercharger pullies... nope.. (not bashing Doug at all.. great guy). Just like most people buy the LFP lower pulley setups... for what reason... TO SAVE MONEY... don't they look surprisingly similiar to the Metco :idea: . Save money where you can as long as the product isn't suffering.

In this case Ashley has inspected the product and has an engineering degree to back this up. I think she is only trying to help out fellow terminator owners by posting a great deal she got.

Steven

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Last edited:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Serpentor said:
you guys should read these threads, the owner of Granatalli is funny in a very sad kind of way. (shrudders)
its pure entertainment...
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=679308&page=1
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=581327
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=581327

after reading his posts, tell me why anyone would buy a single screw from him.

edit spelling

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5245903#post5245903

The end-all-beat-all of Granatelli ownage posts :)

lucafu1

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I don't believe internet hype, opinions, or other banter. The reality is 99% of people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to suspension dynamics or anything else on their car for that matter.

Ashley

This is so damn true.

Jpjr

Established Member
that was a great read. makes me feel better about buying MM products. at the same time however, i wish MM would abide by the market and not rely on good hearted customers to keep them in business. obtain the patents, they pay for themselves. hire a lawyer. i know the fixed costs involved seem high, but you simply can't be designing professional grade engineered parts and expect to survive if your not going to use the system to protect your investment. MGW patents all of their designs, its not too unrealistic.

lucafu1

Established Member
I do buy MM products because I am brand loyal and I do like the fact its Made in the USA. But everyone should realize the GMS does make those SCT MAF meters that everyone has. So is it time to switch to Diablo? Yeah to copy a product is really cheap, GMS should have changed there design. I know to get a patent is hard but it might be worth it sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread