Just got a Granatelli K member for cheap... and it looks identical to the MM unit.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Serpentor said:
even I can make welds that look better then that

I was thinking the same thing. Those welds look like poop.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
GMS and MM headquarters are only about 140 miles apart... just some food for thought. I think they both come from at minimum the same jig.

The same jig? MM builds all their K-members in house.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
BlueStripe said:
The same jig? MM builds all their K-members in house.

There could be more than one jig EDIT: MM sells a jig for $$$.

The welds dont look like the cleanest I have seen, but they seem to have good penetration.Lots of gussets and bracing.

Last edited:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
There could be more than one jig.

The welds dont look like the cleanest I have seen, but they seem to have good penetration.Lots of gussets and bracing.

I think you're really reaching now. MM makes them all in house, so unless GMS buys and resells them, your K-member is a blatant rip-off.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
BlueStripe said:
I think you're really reaching now. MM makes them all in house, so unless GMS buys and resells them, your K-member is a blatant rip-off.

I know MM makes all of theirs in house. That was not my point.

I really don't care if it is a ripoff or not. If GMS either bought the engineering from MM, i.e. a jig (yes I realize that this is unlikely) or reverse engineered the MM K member (more likely) it is what it is. I am happy with it. Would I have paid $450 for it... no, I would have bought the real thing. Would I have paid $219... yes.

Last edited:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:

I really don't care if it is a ripoff or not. If GMS either bought the engineering from MM, i.e. a jig (yes I realize that this is unlikely) or reverse engineered the MM K member (more likely) it is what it is. I am happy with it. Would I have paid $450 for it... no, I would have bought the real thing. Would I have paid $219... yes.

Good for you :)

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:

At least you're happy with what you paid for, thats all that matters. Now go get a room with you're k member :xpl:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
we all have our own set of values and generally, no amount of logic (one way or the other) is going sway people from their beliefs of what is right and wrong

some people put their entire emphasis on spending the least amount of money, while others have a wider view of the issue

in these types of discussions we often see comparisons to Walmart etc, but those arguments carry no weight with me

when we're talking about low-volume products that were explicitly designed for our community by companies that support the community, I FIRMLY BELIEVE we should support them in turn

I have said these things many times before and will continue to say them because I'm proud of my principles

dougwg

Established Member
JB said:
we all have our own set of values and generally, no amount of logic (one way or the other) is going sway people from their beliefs of what is right and wrong

some people put their entire emphasis on spending the least amount of money, while others have a wider view of the issue

in these types of discussions we often see comparisons to Walmart etc, but those arguments carry no weight with me

when we're talking about low-volume products that were explicitly designed for our community by companies that support the community, I FIRMLY BELIEVE we should support them in turn

I have said these things many times before and will continue to say them because I'm proud of my principles

:rockon:

cobraracer46

Banned
A couple of years ago, A former Griggs Racing dealer by the name of Central Coast Mustang made an exact copy of a griggs K member under the ground pounder name, later on due to unknown reasons, CCM revised the ground pounder K member so it did not resemble the griggs piece. One has to go way back to the early 90's to find the biggest mustang parts company rippoff of all time: Dugan ripping off Meir Racing enterprises. Not only did Dugan copy some of Meir's parts, dugan also copied the MRE initals and company script by calling itself DRE or Dugan racing enterprises! Looks like Granatelli ripping off Maximum Motorsport is just history repeating it self. Finnally, one has to wonder what the GMS did to price a Kmember so much cheaper than the MM? Could it be that GMS whent to China? :nonono: I'll pay extra to keep jobs in USA.

golstho

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I was not excusing anyones conduct. Nobody said the world was a happy place where everyone gets paid for their ideas and no one gets screwed. What people have done may be ethicily wrong, but unless proven guilty in court they have done nothing wrong by the letter of the law, which is what counts. Mabye you need a Economics and a Crminal Justice class.

If we as Americans are so innovative, we should be able to think of innovative ways to bring our products to market cheaper to get more marketshare. Those manfacturers that do this will profit. Those that don't will struggle.

you may need a business ethics class!

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Finnally, one has to wonder what the GMS did to price a Kmember so much cheaper than the MM? Could it be that GMS whent to China? :nonono: I'll pay extra to keep jobs in USA.

I doubt they have the sofistication or sales volume to outsource to china, most likely they hired a bunch of illegal immigrants to copy the MM K-member and used inferior materials to save money.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I'll pay extra to keep jobs in USA.

Damn straight, too bad we don't have more people that think that way here in the good ole USA :beer:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
JB said:

Well said JB. :rockon:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I know... this thread is not for you.

I think it is, and that's the irony of it. In an attempt to save us money on an MM K-member you've unintentionaly validated everyone's belief that dedication to customer service and origional design matters more than the almighty dollar.

People like you are the reason that I will forever forsake businesses like Steeda, UPR, Granatelli, etc... because without customers like me the companies that actually produce ground breaking product wouldn't make enough capital to do what they do, and eventually no one will benefit because the knock-off companies won't have anyone left to copy and we'd all be screwed.

You should thank all the people bashing you in this thread. If it weren't for their loyalty to the real performance parts manufacturers, you never would have saved that $200.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
BlueStripe said:
I think it is, and that's the irony of it. In an attempt to save us money on an MM K-member you've unintentionaly validated everyone's belief that dedication to customer service and origional design matters more than the almighty dollar.

People like you are the reason that I will forever forsake businesses like Steeda, UPR, Granatelli, etc... because without customers like me the companies that actually produce ground breaking product wouldn't make enough capital to do what they do, and eventually no one will benefit because the knock-off companies won't have anyone left to copy and we'd all be screwed.

You should thank all the people bashing you in this thread. If it weren't for their loyalty to the real performance parts manufacturers, you never would have saved that $200.

Reading comprehension owns you.

I have nothing against MM etc. They DO make great products, have great customer service and are an innovative and dynamic company. I have many of their products installed on my car.

There are people that cannot afford $650 for a K member or $1500 for coilover kits, or are not willing to pay that much for said components. There are cheaper alternatives out there to some of these parts. This thread was meant to illustrate one of those cheaper options. I saved $200 + of of the retail price of this K member. For those that might be in the market for a K member, this is definately worth looking at.

MM is a proven brand name, and with that name comes higher prices. MM is there to make money, make no mistake. Are the higher prices worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no not so much. If you want to buy all MM products... have at it. You will get mostly topnotch stuff. A few of their products leave something to be desired, weather that is from a design, or cost standpoint.... there are products out there that are better and are cheaper. You can decide which parts you like using your own metrics. If you metric is having a MM sticker on it, then that is fine by me.

I decided to give the GMS K member a shot. I figured it can't be that bad if it is what hellion includeds in their turbo kits. From all my measurments this piece seems very solid and square, which is all you really need in a K member. As long as everything lines up when I install it, I will be compleately satisfied. If you don't like it.. DON'T BUY ONE.

Users who are viewing this thread